Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base grinds

Poster: A snowHead
I've had my my own skis for 3 years (I now have 3 pairs) but I service them myself so have only ever sent one pair for a shop service (2 years ago) it was end of season so I asked for a base grind edge and leave the wax on.... Thinking now they just waxed them rolling eyes

My oldest skis are in need of a base grind (see attached photos in the following post) only 1 or 2 of the 1000's of scratches are deep (no core shots and only 1 p-texed bit) 99% are less than 1mm deep....

My question is what do I expect back I'm going to ask for a base grind and them to set the edges at 1 degree and 88 degrees no wax....

How much base does a base grind remove?

I should add as these are my "rock hoppers" the edges are in need of a good sharpen to ... not bothered to do too much to them this spring rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
photo

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 6-05-09 20:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
one more
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
II,

If these are rock-hoppers then maybe you think they are on the way out..

Just ask for a service and point out what your edges are set at....
You might want to ask them what they'll do and then you have to re-direct them.....

I'd have them waxed as well... and if you think they are the type of store that woulde skimp on edges and grinds, then why would you think about taking them there anyway.

I can't see anything in your bases that would be much of a problem to a decent shop..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II wrote:

My question is what do I expect back I'm going to ask for a base grind and them to set the edges at 1 degree and 88 degrees no wax....

IME, few UK shops are willing to set the edges at the customers specific requirements - they will have their standard settings, which *may* be 1 and 88, but maybe not. When having a base grind done these days, I tend to ask for *just* the base grind, and do the edges myself (by hand or discman, depending on the skis).

Quote:

How much base does a base grind remove?

There are two schools of thought: fill what you can, and then base grind the rest; and grind what you can, and then fill the rest. Inevitably the first removes less material - you need to discuss it with the shop.

Jon's ski tuning is probably the best place to get what you want done all in one place, as Jon will listen to what you want and deliver.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with RobW, just ask for a grind only & then re-set the edges yourself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I try for a base grind at Ellis Brigham, but they won't do it.

No bevel, no grind Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, do you offer base grinding services?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW wrote:

IME, few UK shops are willing to set the edges at the customers specific requirements - they will have their standard settings, which *may* be 1 and 88, but maybe not. When having a base grind done these days, I tend to ask for *just* the base grind, and do the edges myself (by hand or discman, depending on the skis).

The place at milton keynes will do it. I got a pair of sl skis done asking for 1 base and 3 side (my rock piste skis). They tried to tell me they would be too aggressive (wtf, that is normal tune for race skis) but did it to my request.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, funny that as EB's at MK will do a grind only.

rob@rar, Usually yes. I have 'sneaky out of hours' access to a machine which is well maintained etc & gives a good finish. It currently needs a new stone (I've redressed the existing one a few times but it's beyond redemption) which unfortunately won't be replaced until the start of the next season. Lockwoods will be doing any grinding I need from now until then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does base grinding really make any significant difference to non-racing ski? Said he looking at his Missions bases.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, depends why you're needing the grind. Assuming that the ski started life flat(ish) then the usual reasons are:

1 - the base structure's worn out/smooth
2 - the base angles are damaged
3 - the bases are significantly damaged
4 - the base edge angles are over bevelled due to general wear or over tuning
5 - the base have worn concave (snow)
6 - the bases have worn convex (plastic)
7 - a combination of the above, usually 1, 2 & 3 (as II's skis above)

A racer will definately want a decent structure but a recreational skier will benefit from a decent structure in spring/moist snow conditions, although Zardoz has somwhat negated this. I try & avoid grinding for as long as possible but for most recreational skiers the time for a grind is when it's no longer possible to get a decent edge tune due to damage to the base edge etc.

achilles both your & Kramers's Missions are ready for a grind as they've both done approx 7/8 weeks which included a lot of off-piste use.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
II, those "rock-hoppers" are in a better state than my main skis Shocked , and as for my Dendix skis Sad Sad Sad (OK my snow race skis are in much better state). Unless you trust the shop to only do the minimum grind required, and can get to talk over and agree your requirements with the tech in person, I'd leave them. I had one (maybe 2) grids on my previous skis at S&R Chertsey and they looked great for about a week, but there was hardly any base left on them to hold any Ptex for when I needed to fill them later.

(spyderjon's analysis seems fair)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

II, those "rock-hoppers" are in a better state than my main skis

Snap, They do look in quite good condition, i usually only base grind when the base edges have gotten really beat up from rock hits. scratches in the plastic arent a big deal IMO and as the others point out an overly aggressive base grind can really take off a lot of material
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, OK, boss. I may be going down to Lockwoods for a boot tweak - in which case I shall ask if they can grind them whilst I am there.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
rob@rar, Usually yes. I have 'sneaky out of hours' access to a machine which is well maintained etc & gives a good finish. It currently needs a new stone (I've redressed the existing one a few times but it's beyond redemption) which unfortunately won't be replaced until the start of the next season. Lockwoods will be doing any grinding I need from now until then.

Thanks. I don't have any skis that I'd want to grind now, but useful info for the future.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy