Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Snow Centre - coaching

Poster: A snowHead
Do any of the Hemel employees/instructors out there know when the coaching timetable/costs will be confirmed for Hemel.

Quite interested in the 'performance coaching' and 'guided practice' sessions - but there's not much detail up on the website at the mo.

I've been a few times to the MK performance sessions and have enjoyed them - but Hemel's a lot closer than MK is!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, I'll be there tomorrow or Friday and will try to find out some more info for you. Do you have ay specific questions about it in addition to when and how much?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks rob@rar.

I guess the only other thing that would be good to check is what sort of level of skier the sessions are aimed at.

At MK the 'performance' coaching seems to be aimed at what they call 'intermediates' - which seems to mean confident parallel skiers - so I'm guessing it'll be the same, but it might be good to make sure!

Thanks again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, you not got anything better to do with your time than spend every night at your new place of work.....or is this familiarisation sessions Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM wrote:
rob@rar, you not got anything better to do with your time than spend every night at your new place of work.....or is this familiarisation sessions Little Angel

I'm sure the novelty will soon fade Wink

Recent visits have combined the opportunity to grab an hour's skiing with the chance to talk to a few people about the snowHeads event in June.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, If you're around tomorrow night I'll see you there.
snow conditions
 monster77
monster77
I will be there tomorrow, my patrol shift is 1900 to 2300. But I will be there on tuesday evening for a beer. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, If you're around tomorrow night I'll see you there.

If I go it will probably be during the day as I want to speak to Elise.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
monster77 wrote:
I will be there tomorrow, my patrol shift is 1900 to 2300.

You'll have to change your log-in name to monster711 Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okay, rang Hemel and apparently the booking-system on their website was playing-up yesterday - but is now working, so I can see/book the dates/times/prices now Very Happy

Still a little unclear on the level of skier that the 'performance coaching' is aimed at - so if anyone has a bit more info on that side of things, that would be great (don't want to turn-up only to be surrounded by guys and girls training for the Vancouver Winter Games Shocked )

I'm hoping it's aimed at a similar level as the performance sessions at MK ... as I seemed to fit in quite nicely from a technique point of view there Little Angel

[Edited for my awful spelling/grammar!]
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abj, Performance Coaching sessions are 8pm to 10pm on Thursdays, 8am to 10am on Saturdays. Cost is £28 per session. Sessions will be taught by ISIA or ISTD instructors, so there will be a high standard of instruction.

I think the sessions will probably have a similar level of skier to those at MK.

The new website for The Snow Centre should go live by the end of today.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abj, I will be coaching during the "guided practice" skills development sessions on wednesdays if that is of interest.

There is a ladies mornings 10-12:30 with the last 1/2 hour being coffees in the lounge where i plan to review individuals, do video analysis etc.
50+ is 1:30 - 4 and juniors (7-15) 4:30 - 6:30 (no coffee break for the kids Toofy Grin )

THey are trying to rename the 50+ as they dont want to restrict it exactly and would be quite happy to have 40 somethings in the group as well.

The level is meant to be past the recreational level of 1-4 and able to parallel ski, there will also be sessions running at the same time for level 1, 2 , 3 and 4 for the ladies and 50's the junior will be grouped by ages into L1+2 7-10's and 11-15's and L3+4 and a skill dev group.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, thanks for the update. Might give it a bash.

skimottaret, thanks for the low-down on the other options. Unfortunately, I dont really fit into any of these target-audiences.

The day they introduce a session aimed at "31 year old, average skiers, stuck on the intermediate plateau and who can't make weekday sessions" - I'll be there Very Happy (Catchy title, don't you think wink )

In the meantime, looks like the early morning sessions are for me (?)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abj wrote:
The day they introduce a session aimed at "31 year old, average skiers, stuck on the intermediate plateau and who can't make weekday sessions" - I'll be there Very Happy (Catchy title, don't you think wink )

There's a lot of people in that category and if Hemel can't cater for them then there's something wrong with what's being offered, even if the title needs a bit of work Wink If you find that the Performance Coaching is just a bit too high for you, a Level 6 Guided Practice session might work out (although I think you should certainly start with the PC session, even if it means an early start on Saturdays).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm sure the PC session will be fine ... it's just the word 'performance' is a little intimidating for your common-or-garden skier.
snow conditions
skimottaret, I have a sister in law who lives within striking distance, who has done some skiing (three weeks in all) and was making slow but steady progress before a major knee-crunching injury, followed eventually by surgery, which has kept her off the slopes for several years. She could do with a gentle re-introduction, some revision of basics and some encouragement. I was thinking of going with her for a session - she's not over 50, but very close (and I'm miles over). I think she'd like to do a session just finding her feet before joining in with any more formal coaching or instruction - would either the Ladies or the over 50s session be most appropriate? Once she'd got to know the place a bit she'd probably be happy to continue going on her own - I'm too far away to get there regularly.
ski holidays
The race training seems to be unavailable despite being advertised on the site Puzzled
snow conditions
narc, AIUI The Snow Centre will not be running regular race training sessions of it's own, but there are a couple options: Hemel Ski Race Club run sessions on Monday and Wednesday early evenings; and Impulse Racing is planning to run race training on Monday evenings. Info about the Impluse training in this thread.
snow report
pam w, i would sugggest the ladies morning as it was very well attended during the dry slope days and your sister in law will be able to stream into the correct level quite quickly. have her have a go, there is no committment for blocks of sessions AFAIK.

The 50+s is flexible on age and more of a mop up retired people or night workers looking for a day sesssion... the centre is trying to come up with catchy name for that group that is less restrictive sounding.
ski holidays
Quote:

The 50+s is flexible on age and more of a mop up retired people or night workers looking for a day sesssion... the centre is trying to come up with catchy name for that group that is less restrictive sounding.

what...like silver surfers Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
narc, also the Kandahar Club and possibly even another couple more clubs will be running regular race training sessions there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, thanks. snowHead
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
narc, also the Kandahar Club and possibly even another couple more clubs will be running regular race training sessions there.

Thanks. I'm mostly looking for something along the lines of an introduction to learning to ski gates for people that can carve rather than groups full of skilled kids who have had race training since 5 year old.
latest report
Quote:

an introduction to learning to ski gates for people that can carve

This has been discussed and i am sure something will be offered along those lines. What times work for you?
ski holidays
narc, clubs tend to be more cost effective, but most are indeed intended primarily for kids who can already ski better than you. Kandahar may eventually run adult training at Hemel but not for now. I think Hemel Club has adults on a Wed eve. Not sure about other clubs that may race train at Hemel. However for the level you want it probably is Hemel's own race training sessions if/when set up, or Impulse Racing that'd best suit.

skimottaret, who's going to run Hemel's own race training?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

This has been discussed and i am sure something will be offered along those lines. What times work for you?

Working full time, it would be evenings and weekends.
ski holidays
slikedges, Hemel have never ran their own race training, it was always the Hemel Race Club when the slope was plastic. Now it's Impulse Racing and Hemel Race Club.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
slikedges, Hemel have never ran their own race training, it was always the Hemel Race Club when the slope was plastic.

I know that, though that said IIRC once upon a time the Club and the slope were one and the same.
Quote:
Now it's Impulse Racing and Hemel Race Club.

As I posted above, amongst others. wink

skimottaret
Quote:
Quote:

Who's going to be tasked with running this? Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Thanks. I'm mostly looking for something along the lines of an introduction to learning to ski gates for people that can carve rather than groups full of skilled kids who have had race training since 5 year old.

I thought that was what Impulse were offering.
ski holidays
rob@rar
What is the difference between the Performance Coaching & Guided Practice ?
What are the usual group sizes ?
snow conditions
Shades wrote:
rob@rar
What is the difference between the Performance Coaching & Guided Practice ?
What are the usual group sizes ?
I too wondered both those things.
ski holidays
Shades, Hurtle, I'm only a part-time instructor at Hemel, so fairly low down the food chain but I'll answer what I can. However, it would be best for you to confirm this direct with The Snow Centre itself, or maybe send a PM to gillski (Pete Silver Gillespie) who is head of the ski school there.

As I understand it performance coaching is aimed at higher ability skiers than the guided practice. The ability levels that The Snow Centre uses can be found here. Guided practice is probably aimed more at levels 5 and 6, while Performance Coaching is used for those above level 6. The Snow Centre will use it's more highly qualified instructors for Performance Coaching sessions (which are only held twice a week at the moment) as we know that some very capable skiers are looking to use those sessions as an alternative path to instructor development. Having said that, there is only the one slope that everyone uses so any instructor should be able to differentiate the task and feedback on a personal basis so that you are taught on an individual basis rather than simply doing a 'group task' which may be either too easy or too demanding for you. I was teaching a junior skills development class (broadly equivalent to guided practive standard of skiing) on Sunday which included one very good girl who would have been at home in a race club, and her younger sister who was only just beginning to plough-parallel turn. It's not a problem to deal with that spread of ability providing everyone can use the same slope.

At the moment I don't think there is a "usual" group size as the centre has been open for less than a week. I'm not sure what maximum class sizes are for Guided Practice and Performance Coaching, but I think most sessions will run well below their maximum for the time being because (a) it's the summer, and snowdomes are always quiet during this period; and (b) The Snow Centre is brand new and has only begun to build up it's awareness and regular clientele. I taught three sessions on Sunday: I had 4 juniors in the first class, then a private lesson, then 1 person in a taster lesson. Now's a really good time of year to visit The Snow Centre (or any snowdome) because class sizes will be small if you want lessons, and the slope will be much quieter than during the winter.
latest report
rob@rar, thanks, may very well give this is a try if the experience is good on the 6th.
snow report
rob@rar
Thanks for the info.
Definately the Performance Coaching for me then,Saturday mornings sound good too.
snow report
slikedges, sorry wasnt watching this much... as far as i can see one of the full time guys will be taking the performance coaching sessions. Rob explains it well above. Until the session numbers stabilise i think they will assign instructors on an ad hoc basis...

kinda confusing but guided practice means L1-4, Skills development 5-6 and perf coaching 6 and higher (good red run parallel skiers) . there is also Phils courses for race training and higher levels. The session we had Monday had more that a few national team youngsters laughing at us!
snow report
skimottaret, now you know how I feel... Laughing
snow report
slikedges, if you have the time you should check out the monday session with Impulse, although there were a lot of good juniors i think there will be more than enough numbers to warrant having an adults group.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy