Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Volkl skis do you like?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have an old pair of Rossignal straight line skis, size 193 that are about ten years old. My ski level intermediate to advance. I mostly ski on blues and a few blacks. I live in Ohio and ski two or three times a year, if the weather is good. Once in a while I ski in Seven Springs. Next weekend I will be going to Holiday Valley. I am looking to buy a new pair of skis. I have narrowed down to two models: Volkl 724 EXS or 724 EXT. I have been to two shops and both recommended Volkl 724 EXT in a 163. They say the 724 EXS requires more work and will be faster. They also said because I never had a pair of these new type of skis, the EXT would be better. Is there a big difference between them both? Which one do you think would fit me better. Also what size, 163 or 170? I weigh 185lb and I am 5'6 1/2.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Before you buy --DEMO the skis--I know this is old advice, but you would not believe the differences. I would say the Volkl 724 EXT would be the better bet. I skied them and they perform well on multiple surfaces. Also you can 'relax' on them a bit--the volkl 5 stars, for instance, are like ferraris--precise but unforgiving. Though I tried the 724--I ended up buying K2 apache X--I found them better on the hard eastern snow--they were a little stiffer fo my 6'3'' 205# frame. The rule of thumb for length is to the chin--this will seem short to you, but these shaped skis ski 'long'--you will feel the entire edge when you turn--and the newer onses are much better on the 'straights'--you are in for a real pleasant surprise--I think the 724 has a 17 mm side cut and the K2 Apache X is 18 mm--But TRY them --If you ski more aggressively you might like the K2 better--Then try the Fisher X9 to see the 'next level'---I bought some skis last year without demoing them--(K2 Omni)--the were too soft and only grip well on the nice stuff---try before you buy--Brian
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Baukerman, welcome to snowHeads, I'm sure you'll get a response from ssh or Comprex before too long. Good luck and enjoy your new skis, whatever you chose.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, you're putting me on the spot!

Baukerman, I have very stong opinions on that issue, and they might chime with the shop's recommendation, or not, if you tell us:

What your goals in skiing are and how actively you pursue them?

What were the criteria you used to select those two models?

As keroab rightly points out, neither is truly optimal for East Coast hardpack; I am wondering what else you like to do?

Please tell us more, specifically what terrain you like and how fast you like to ski it.

For example: At 7Springs, are you screaming down Giant Steps or Gunnar, playing in the trees or bumps at Tyrol/Stowe slopes, can you link turns on Goosebumps?

keroab, Did you ever arrive at a demo list for turny skis? Have you something already?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David,

To answer some of your questions:
1. My goals in skiing are to be good skier. I know that seems vague, but in general I go out to ski in Ohio and sometimes in 7 Springs. I don't get to go out much during the winter years but maybe a couple times of year. One day I would like to go back to Vail as I did 12 years ago.

2. My criteria for choosing the two models were based on my research from online ski reviews and ski forums like this one. Secondly, I also got advice from two ski shops who carry Volkl skis and pointed out to me the 724EXT.

3. I generally ski on open runs, but sometimes on small moguls and if the trees are wide enough for me, I'll give them a try. I also like to do small jumps, nothing major. I am not a super fast skier, but speed doesn't scare me if I am under control, more so on open runs.
4. Most of the terrain I ski on are on open runs, small moguls, wide open trees, but not powder. As far as speed, speed doesn't scare me if I am under control, more so on open runs.

5. As to the last question for me, can I link turns on Goosebumps, I cannot answer because it has been atleast 7 to 8 years since I have been to 7 Springs and don't remember what Goosebumps Run is. However if the sound is what I think it is, as in moguls, than I am not very good at moguls, and if there are any, I will only do them if they are small. I have done moguls in the past on black diamonds and it takes me some time to get through them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Baukerman, my picks from the Volkl lineup with the above in mind: the 4* in 168 cm (with lessons) or the 724 EXP in 170cm (no lessons).

I am convinced that ski shop sales staff call making several small turns instead of one big one "work", and that they immediately shove anyone who tells them they are changing over from traditional skis into the "beginner-intermediate" category right along with folks who are just starting the sport.

I call fighting for edge control when a ski won't bite into the ice "work" and I call trying to force a ski with 22m (over 60foot) sidecut radius around moguls "work". Hence my picks above.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax,

David,
Thanks for the message--I did a fair amount of demoing and I found the K2 Apache X the right ski for me--I didn't realize that what I needed was a 'grippier' ski--the K2 escape, for me, just couldn't hold up against Sunday River. It was too soft. I understand skis a bit better now. Iwould like to have a pair of RX (' as well as the K2's) because they were like razors on the hard stuff--like ferraris-- but the K2 Apache was close enough to the RX 9 when I pushed them and they are a bit more forgiving--keroab (Brian)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy