Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire from Geneva for onward journey to 3Vs

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for the question as no doubt it has been asked many times before. I have tried to do a forum search but keep getting error messages.

I have never driven to resort before and am a little nervous. First problem is knowing which pick up point to request. I am going to Meribel area from Geneva. On the online hire sites Geneva Swiss side is an option but there is not a French side option. What do I do/choose? Also Winter chains isnt an added extra (do I assume they come as standard?). All very confusing. When I get out of the airport what sign do I head for first? Never used sat nav before but assume I need it?

Coach transfers seem so stress free now! lol.

Any help most appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hire from Swiss side Its easier to find and a lot less hassle for baggage collection etc. They are supposed to supply chains and winter tires by law on Swiss side although will charge a winterisation supplement for them but at least you have them. There are a number of recent threads on this so do search again. I have used www.auto-europe.com for carhire they search all the companies and get best price others are holiday autos.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Armitageblue, there has indeed been a massive amount of discussion on this. Try the following threads for starters, there are others:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50377#1184417
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23811#542075
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48017#1137918

The consensus seems to be that hiring on the Swiss side is easier, if somewhat more expensive, and on that side you will get, as a matter of course, the vignette you need for driving on Swiss motorways. Winter tyres usually come as standard, chains often don't and nor does the hi-viz vest which is compulsory to carry in the car in France.

Many people use Holiday Autos for car hire. This link will give you a discount:
http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR?=EN&aff=xOneAccount

I filletted some of the threads myself, to prepare myself for driving from Geneva Airport to Les Arcs in March. See below (with acknowledgments to the numerous people who provided this helpful information.)

Routes from Geneva

To Albertville, either using motorway via Chambery, or the scenic route via Lac d'Annecy. Travel time pretty much the same, if the traffic doesn't gum up along the Lake. Both routes are well signposted and easy to follow on the Michelin map of Isere/Savoie, also easy with satnav (except that TomTom hasn't yet caught up with the new stretch of motorway between Geneva and Annecy, if you decide on the scenic route.)

Scenic route: stay on Swiss motorway to French border then follow signs for new motorway to Annecy. Come OFF that motorway at Annecy Sud (past the hospital) signposted Ugine and Albertville and "Route Nationale" (ie not motorway). From Ugine it's fast dual carriageway to Albertville, and a new bypass along the river there much reduces the bottleneck quality of Albertville. Then join motorway to Moutiers and finally up to 3V resorts.

Car hire desk to car

2E or 2CHF coin for luggage trolleys

On entering Arrivals Hall turn right and walk to the far end where an extension has been built for the car hire desks.

5 minute walk to car, if not using shuttle bus:
turn right out of the double doors after the car hire desks and walk to the right, follow footpath/cycle path markings on the pavement, up a slight hill, past the coaches parked on the right and the hire cars are parked in the second multi-storey on the left - P51. Cross road at the traffic lights, go down in the lift (you're at Level 3) to Level 1, car hire places are all down there.

Car return/petrol fill-up

1 Follow signs from motorway to Geneva Airport, once at airport follow signs to Car Park P 51 Car hire return

2 Just before P51 there is the World Trade Centre, half way along the frontage there is a petrol station sign, turn immediately right and then left into the pumps. NOTE which pump number you are going to use.

3 Go to credit card pay station at the end of the pump island you are parked by. Press button for instructions in English, follow the instructions, fill up.

4 Drive out of petrol pump area, go forward into the entrance of P51 (No need to go back onto the main road.)

5 Simply take a ticket at the right hand barrier, yes there are credit card logos on it BUT JUST TAKE A TICKET.

6 Drive 150 yards forward to the entrance barrier for Car Hire return put ticket into the box by barrier, barrier lifts, drive to approximately where you collected the car.

7 Find member of staff to check car and sign the paperwork.

8 Walk through the car park to the road back to the terminal.

NB – good idea not to overshoot P51. If you do, keep following overhead sings for P51 , which takes you up & round to a back entrance, ?one level up from car returns. Once back inside P51, follow exit signs & just before exit barrier, do sharp right into car returns.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, Now that is a response Laughing Laughing Laughing They should make this a sticky then ban new threads on Geneva carhire (and helmet debates Shocked )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
Winter tyres usually come as standard, chains often don't and nor does the hi-viz vest which is compulsory to carry in the car in France.

My experience is that rental cars always have winter tyres fitted (the main reason I rent from the Swiss side at GVA) and most of the time there are a pair of chains in the boot, the main exception to this being cars rented from Budget. I never pay extra for "winterization" of the car when booking through Holiday Autos, which saves a fair bit of money, and would buy a cheap pair of chains in a supermarket if I really needed them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, echo what RPF says (apart from the bit about helmet debates, can't have too many helmet debates).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Never used sat nav before but assume I need it?

Absolutely not, unless you're incapable of reading a very simple map. Or jotting down four words on a piece of paper. The Tarentaise resorts are exceptionally easy and well signposted from Albertville.

You could look at routes on viamichelin.com too. Costs nothing. If you have a satnav anyway, it's worth taking it, but be aware that on my experience tomtoms can be very inaccurate once you're off big arterial routes, in the Alps. Ours has tried to take us on some very daft routes. And they don't know which mountain passes are closed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everybody for your help.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Armitageblue, the drive is really easy... go for the toll roads and it's just follow the signs all the way. I was nervous doing it for the first time, at night, this year (the drive that is, you at the back) but it was utterly simple...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
youspurs1 wrote:
Hurtle, echo what RPF says (apart from the bit about helmet debates, can't have too many helmet debates).

So should we wear helmets whilst driving hire cars from Geneva Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

should we wear helmets whilst driving hire cars from Geneva

Yes, but not with sunglasses unless you want to look like a muppet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My satnav (Garmin) was determined to take me through the middle of Geneva - and succeded - as I had left Driver Management System at home - she does have an automatic over-ride. (Yes, Bev was at work).

Garmin does not know about the new motorway either and was quite bemused by whizzing across open fields at 120KPH. It contented itself with muttering "recalculating" and from time-to-time having a wild guess at which D road I was on. Quite funny really!

I had read all the threads on Geneva car hire and was a bit intimidated, to be honest, but it was really no problem at all. Just follow the signs and do as the instructions state. Not all of the credit-card machines were working at the Agip petrol place when I was there three weeks ago.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you find the petrol refill routine a bit of a faff, I generally fill the car up to the brim on the motorway services a few miles outside of Geneva.The needle doesnt move and it is always full enough to satisfy inspection from th car hire company. You just need to make a mental note of where the services are on your outward journey,often difficult in the excitement of getting to resort Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish wrote:
My satnav (Garmin) was determined to take me through the middle of Geneva - and succeded

snowHead

,mine too. nearly had a close encounter with a tram when the car stalled on the tram line the sat nav brought me too. Skullie
It was superb on other trips from Calais though Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are worse cities to drive through at 5 in the afternoon!

Just follow signs for France would avaoid it I think, though the fountain is spectacular.

snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Just follow signs for France would avoid it I think

Absolutely. Follow the green signs "FRANCE" to the motorway (motorway signage is green in Switzerland, but blue in France, confusingly).
latest report
I find that, both here and abroad, the satnav is very useful if I'm driving on my own: it's really quite difficult to drive and map-read simultaneously! However, I always have a map to hand, and a written/printed route of some sort as well. And I make sure to plot the preferred route on my satnav in advance, not just take pot luck with it. That strategy seems to work OK - but I'd still rather have an efficent map-reader than a machine!

But, as everyone says, the road signage Geneva Airport-Moutiers is exceptionally clear, all one really has to decide in advance is whether, initially, to make for Chambery or Annecy.
ski holidays
Quote:

the satnav is very useful if I'm driving on my own: it's really quite difficult to drive and map-read simultaneously!

agreed. I took my 2 year old grandson to a museum in the middle of Bristol, which I don't know at all. My son had advised me on the best car park to use, I told the machine the postcode and it took me to the door, through a maze of one way streets and bridges and odd junctions. In those situations they're invaluable. And they're useful to give you an idea of time of arrival - though I find it extremely inaccurate in the Alps because it seems to assume you're going to drive to the speed limit all the time. The limit on most of the winding hairpin mountain roads is far higher than you can actually drive, so journeys will take far longer than the machine calculates. But in response to the OP's assumption that he would need satnav, then the answer is that he won't, especially if he is accustomed to driving round UK roads, where navigation is often far more complex than Calais to the Alps, without one.
snow conditions
ha yes we drove from Geneva to Meribel again this year, and our satnav took us through the middle of geneva and then via some mountain pass which was barley open accross the top of La Clusaz, I'm sure it would have been very scenic had it not of been dark and you actually culdn't see above the snow at the side of the road Shocked There is a petrol station right by the hire car park on the Swiss side, so easy enough to fill up when returning car. I don't think we used more than 1/4 tank of fuel Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
And they're useful to give you an idea of time of arrival - though I find it extremely inaccurate in the Alps because it seems to assume you're going to drive to the speed limit all the time.

Agreed, especially when you're on the return journey and want to know what time you're likely to arrive at Calais for your cross-Channel departure. I also found it useful when we drove out last time knowing approximately what time we were due to arrive in Bourg St Maurice (mainly to know if we'd get there before the SuperU closed, or after that time).
ski holidays
 binclintonusa
binclintonusa
I have never driven to resort before and am a little nervous. Very Happy

pret auto
latest report
He's back again rolling eyes - with a hidden signature link. Can he not be removed?
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
He's back again rolling eyes - with a hidden signature link. Can he not be removed?

Don't think so - I think it some form of automated thingy looking for and joining forums

eg.
http://forum.teamphotoshop.com/
https://forums.alliedmods.net
https://shrikehosting.com/forums
http://praesius.pr.funpic.de
http://software-robotics.com
http://forums.devx.com
http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum
http://forums.macrumors.com
http://www.airlinecrew.net
http://www.imow.org/community/forum
http://www.kirupa.com/forum

There is a VERY long list of forums this person/machine has joined -

This is the best one http://www.airlinecrew.net - Very Happy don't think they like people (us) being on their planes very much

from the same forum Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

To: All Flight Crew Personnel

It has been brought to the Chief Pilots attention that some individuals through out the company have been using foul language during the course of normal conversation in the Cockpit.
Due to complaints received from some pilots who may be easily offended, this type of language will no longer be tolerated.
We do however realize the critical importance of being able to accurately express your feelings when communicating in the Cockpit.
Therefore, a list of "TRY SAYING" new phrases has been provided in the Operations Manual so that proper exchange of ideas and information can continue in an effective manner without risk of offending our more sensitive pilots and to guarantee an exchange of ideas that will ensure a safe flight operation.

TRY SAYING: I'm certain this isn't feasible. INSTEAD OF: No Be Nice please! way.

TRY SAYING: Really? INSTEAD OF: You've got to be shitting me!

TRY SAYING: Perhaps you should check with Flt.Ops. INSTEAD OF: Tell someone who gives a poo-poo.

TRY SAYING: I wasn't involved in the project. INSTEAD OF: It's not my Be Nice please! problem.

TRY SAYING: That's interesting. INSTEAD OF: What the Be Nice please! do you know?

TRY SAYING: I'm not sure this can be implemented. INSTEAD OF: This poo-poo won't work.

TRY SAYING: I'll try to schedule that. INSTEAD OF: Why the hell didn't you tell me sooner?

TRY SAYING: He's not familiar with the procedures.. INSTEAD OF: He's got his head up his ass.

TRY SAYING: Can you offer me some help, Capt.? INSTEAD OF: Kiss my ass.

TRY SAYING: I'm a bit overloaded at the moment, Capt. INSTEAD OF: Be Nice please! It, You Captains make all of the money.

TRY SAYING: I don't think you understand, Sir. INSTEAD OF: Shove it up your ass.

TRY SAYING: I love a challenge. INSTEAD OF: I'll just do it my way, Sir.

TRY SAYING: You want me to take care of that, Capt.? INSTEAD OF: It's your Be Nice please! job, not mine.

TRY SAYING: He's somewhat insensitive. INSTEAD OF: He's a poo-poo Head.

TRY SAYING: She's an aggressive Flt. Attendant. INSTEAD OF: Are you sleeping with that Bitch?

TRY SAYING: I think you could use more training. INSTEAD OF: You don't know what the Be Nice please! you're doing.
ski holidays
Brilliant, explains a few things too.
ski holidays
cathy, who? what?
snow conditions
No one has mentioned the charge for the 'courtesy bus' to the car park, is it still being added to the credit card afterwards?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy