Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm new here, and thinking of next year's skiing plans...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I didn't really know where to post this, so just move it is it's wrong please!

I went for my first ever week skiing during easter in Courchevel, and really took to it - by the end of the week skied over from 1650 to Val Thorens on blues and reds, did a few runs over there and skiied back which I am very proud of!

The bug has bitten, and I've been looking at next season stuff already. My girlfriend is a more proficient skier than me, and I thought it would be a nice idea to surprise her when it's her birthday late November time with a skiing trip. It would have to be on the cheap though.

We have university term times to fit into, so I was looking at January 2nd as a good week for snow in most places, and a bit cheaper as just out of the big Christmas/New Year rush. We can just fit that week into term times as far as I can see.

Was basically hoping for some advice: what kind of price do you think I will be looking at for doing this? My requirements are pretty broad - good piste skiing, don't care where we are staying, don't care what kind of accommodation - we can deal with self catering. Having a good ski school with an adults improvers class or something would be good I thought for me - New Gen. seem to have something. A big ski area would be nice, I don't know if I've been spoilt by the size of the 3V's. We can do packages, self book apartments flights etc. or I could even drive - just how much do you think is realistic for this kind of thing?

I've made it a bit more complicated than it is I think! Thanks for reading.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jackus, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Try this lot http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/
Very good value holidays, more sociable than self catering, all-inclusive prices and some great destinations. Or you can book direct with UCPA, the French organisation, and get yourselves there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
jackus, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Try this lot http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/
Very good value holidays, more sociable than self catering, all-inclusive prices and some great destinations. Or you can book direct with UCPA, the French organisation, and get yourselves there.

Thanks, that's interesting, didn't know that sort of thing existed. Will check it out properly but looks v. cheap for catered, lessons, ski pass, ski hire all included.

Also - has anyone done one of these? Do you know what the accommodation/food is like? Nice atmosphere?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jackus, welcome to snowHeads. That's just about the quietest week of the season so prices are normally at their lowest as demand tends to outstrip supply. It might be worthwhile waiting to make a last minute booking to see if there are any discounted holidays available. There often are for that time of the year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I think you meant that the other way round. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jackus, welcome to snowHead
Have a look at www.snowtrex.com if you don't mind driving.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used snowtrex this year. No complaints, and mucho mucho cheapness.

You don't have to drive by the way. You could fly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
rob@rar, I think you meant that the other way round. Laughing

Laughing Must remember not to post before I've had the first cup of coffee of the day Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

has anyone done one of these? Do you know what the accommodation/food is like? Nice atmosphere?
New post Mon 04 May, 09

I've not - too old. Sad However my son in law has done 3 of their trips, the last with my daughter. He rates them v highly - the first two he was on his own and enjoyed always having other people to ski with, and have a beer with. He has done two ski trips and one in Chamonix with lots of ice climbing etc, which he said was particularly brilliant as not the sort of thing you can do under your own steam. My daughter is a pain to feed (vegetarian and wheat free Shocked ) and she struggled a bit with the food in Flaine, but any normal sensible sort of eater would enjoy it. They paid a small supplement for a private room (as opposed to dorm) and said it was great - nice balcony, view of the slopes (that was Flaine). They were unimpressed with the coach travel - coach broke down twice on the way out, and that was after a newly-recruited driver did a runner (literally) at the Eurotunnel base in Folkestone. They said next time they'd arrange their own travel and book direct with UCPA. If you do a search on UCPA on this forum I think at least one poster used them last season. If you're looking for a high quality, budget, holiday they're hard to beat.

They are both experienced skiers and found the quality of instruction in Flaine to be good - and they enjoyed the multi-national and multi-lingual group, too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

ice climbing etc, which he said was particularly brilliant as not the sort of thing you can do under your own steam.

Puzzled why not? You find some ice and climb up it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
jackus, welcome to snowHeads. That's just about the quietest week of the season so prices are normally at their lowest as demand tends to outstrip supply. It might be worthwhile waiting to make a last minute booking to see if there are any discounted holidays available. There often are for that time of the year.

That's what I was thinking - I'm sure I saw some for Easter just before we went for £199 to Meribel, Snow Train included which seems very cheap - something like that would be good. I guess waiting is probably the best thing to do, but I'm restless!

youspurs1 wrote:
jackus, welcome to snowHead
Have a look at www.snowtrex.com if you don't mind driving.

Also looks very cheap. I haven't heard of the places though, so I wouldn't really know where is the best area, or where to pick. I was looking at Val D'Isere and Tignes as a possible place - they seem quite similar to the 3V's but something different.

pam w wrote:
I've not - too old. Sad However my son in law has done 3 of their trips, the last with my daughter. He rates them v highly - the first two he was on his own and enjoyed always having other people to ski with, and have a beer with. He has done two ski trips and one in Chamonix with lots of ice climbing etc, which he said was particularly brilliant as not the sort of thing you can do under your own steam. My daughter is a pain to feed (vegetarian and wheat free Shocked ) and she struggled a bit with the food in Flaine, but any normal sensible sort of eater would enjoy it. They paid a small supplement for a private room (as opposed to dorm) and said it was great - nice balcony, view of the slopes (that was Flaine). They were unimpressed with the coach travel - coach broke down twice on the way out, and that was after a newly-recruited driver did a runner (literally) at the Eurotunnel base in Folkestone. They said next time they'd arrange their own travel and book direct with UCPA. If you do a search on UCPA on this forum I think at least one poster used them last season. If you're looking for a high quality, budget, holiday they're hard to beat.

They are both experienced skiers and found the quality of instruction in Flaine to be good - and they enjoyed the multi-national and multi-lingual group, too.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking if you can arrange a cheap flight and transfer that would be the best way of doing it anyway - seems to beat a long coach journey any day. Yeah, we would probably pay for private room, it's nice there's that option. It looks almost a bit early for the official website, I can't find something where I can look at the skiing options, prices etc. on their English site - it's all about summer things.

That's good, I wasn't sure what kind of budget instruction might be on offer. The whole UCPA idea I like - you wouldn't get that here, very french! Another advantage is the resorts from what I can see - bigger areas, and they offer lift passes for the whole area they say. I was looking at Espace Killy as that's the only place I've really researched, but Flaine I have read a lot about on here. Will have a look.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jackus, does your uni not run a ski trip? Most do but it is not suited to everyone. There are loads of resorts which will fit your criteria, if I was you I would wait until last minute and pick up a bargain, there are always loads around.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

You find some ice and climb up it.

with no experience, no equipment, no idea and no companions. Really good idea!jackus, I don't think the French are into booking their ski holidays so far in advance - the rental agencies don't start talking about next season's rentals till June or July. No hurry. There should certainly be last minute bargains but they'd cost as much as a UCPA trip.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okay. Thank you for the advice, it's given me a ballpark figure anyway, and I can hang around and decide closer to the time. Itching to go back!

The university do run a ski trip but it's these sort of prices anyway - and I'd probably prefer to go with my girlfriend for more a more skiing week than a partying week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did UCPA this year. Loved it. There're several other posters on here who also did UCPA. Let me know if you have any queries about it. Accommodation in Argentiere was very rustic youth-hostel-style mixed dorms so I'd advise the private room option if you're going with your girlfriend or are at all shy in any way. Apart from the accommodation (which I expected at the price) everything else (food, guiding, company etc) was fantastic and I'll probably be doing another freeride week with them next year.
latest report
I agree with rob@rar - for that week I would be inclined to hang on and wait for a deal although be aware you might have to wait until the week before you go before you book which can be a bit nailbiting. The downside is that you may not get exactly what you want but if you have a fairly relaxed attitude to where you go you're bound to get something. The upside is you may get an extremely cheap holiday or much better quality accommodation etc for the price you might have paid for standard digs if that's how you want to play it.
Check out the WTSS website for some info on the different resorts, even if you are going last minute it helps to have some ideas where might suit you - that rates the resorts re nightlife, ski area, gives you an idea of the level of runs there are and what level of skier each resort suits.
ski holidays
pam w, that's how most people learn. The fact it's so dangerous makes it safer as in it's pretty obvious what can go wrong.
ski holidays
If it's a big ski area you are looking for, why not try something less conventional. Try the massive ski Amade region of Austria.

Check out Alpendorf......Pistes are immaculate here - skiing is almost a religion in Austria and there are 3 great ski schools all within 200m of this place and the lifts.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 10-05-09 16:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
vman, 5 posts all spam for this apartment, not a bad start Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Quote:

goes down well with the ladies

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Hello, me again. Just a quick question so I thought I'd use my old thread. How cheap do you think (just a rough guess) a deal with flights, transfers, accommodation would be if I waited last minute, for that quiet first week in January? Just I have found a 2 person studio in Les Coches for that week for £175 - throw in flights at about £80 each to Geneva, looking at only £167.50 + transfers per person, which seems pretty cheap. Hummm!
snow conditions
jackus, I reckon late booking with a TO, inc flights and transfers - a decent catered chalet for £300 pp, £180 perhaps for s/c. LAte booking should be cheap in Jan.
ski holidays
Hi - I did the late booking thing a few times this year - Due to the current economic climate and the pants exchange rate i was getting fully catered - flights - transfer (usual package) for 300 each or less for 2 sharing - however I know that the tour operaters have not booked as many chalets for 09/10 to avoid a repeat finger burning experiance! Its a tough one!!!!
latest report
Hmm - fully catered £300 is very good! And it's always nice being in a chalet. Advantage of waiting is following where the snow is too, although I guess most places *should* be okay by then. You're right, hard call! Thanks.
snow report
jackus, I have stayed in UCPA accomodation many times. Food is great, it's great value for money but accomodation is quite poor. Shared toilets and a lot of the time shared showers etc and always bunk beds. Great for a lads trip or group of friends but it wouldn't be something i would try to impress my girlfriend with. Confused but that may just be my experience of women!
snow report
I am pretty sure that Les Arcs has a UCPA also...not sure what accomodation is like, but the skiers I saw last year looked like they were having fun. The ski area should suit with an easier connection than Val/Tignes.
latest report
garethjomo wrote:
jackus, I have stayed in UCPA accomodation many times. Food is great, it's great value for money but accomodation is quite poor. Shared toilets and a lot of the time shared showers etc and always bunk beds. Great for a lads trip or group of friends but it wouldn't be something i would try to impress my girlfriend with. Confused but that may just be my experience of women!

That was what I was thinking too about UCPA. Especially as late deal/early cheap deal wouldn't work out that much more expensive.

MEfree30, yeah I think I read there was one in Les Arcs. It's hard to find price details and more information about UCPA at this time of year, as someone mentioned above, I don't think the French are into early booking.

Thanks for the help.
snow report
MEfree30 wrote:
I am pretty sure that Les Arcs has a UCPA also.

Yes, it's in Arc 1600, just above the centre of the resort located on the piste I think. Not sure what the accommodation is like.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
youspurs1, I know its not my thread but hadn't come across snowtrex, thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy