Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

carrying boots in sportube 2?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm fairly sure I want to carry my new skis in a sportube, rather than a soft bag, and I would like to have the option for that to be my only checked luggage, at least for short trips. (Ignoring issues about boots in hand luggage (done that many times, but now I have a helmet, a checked bag has proven unavoidable...), also ignoring airline pricing for 0 vs 1 checked bag etc....

My question is: can I get my alpine boots (317mm sole length) into a sportube 2 as well as a single pair of salomon lord 177s with AT bindings (marker duke)? If so, presumably I can get salopettes etc in too, or does the whole slide-in business make it too much faff?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-05-09 23:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
deleted

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 3-05-09 23:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
awf, I don't know but I doubt it. However I think when you book in skis your boots are also included even if they are in a separate bag. This is with Ryanair. It is the least they could do its £30 each way to carry your kit Shocked

I drive on all my trips now so I can carry what I like.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
awf, The problem with short trips is that you need the same 'gear', the only weight saving being a few changes of clothes less which don't really weigh much. The Sportube is a heavy item in it's own right & getting skis in & out of it is a pain at the best of times, let alone other items.

Nobody has more gear than me & I get almost everything for a weeks trip (inc boots & helmet) in to my checked holdall which is just under 20kg. The only other items I put in my ski bag are my back protector (under the bindings for protection), shovel blade/handle & tool kit - which brings the ski bag weight to 11kg. Skis are bubble wrapped for protection & pole are in foam pipe insulation. Nothing in my carry on bag except travel docs, transceiver & phone so I've spare capacity there if required.

If I wanted to go the single bag route I go for one of the large wheelie kit bags (Dakine/Dynastar/Head Monster etc) instead of a Sportube.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sportubes are great for carrying skis with ultimate protection, but no use for carrying anything else at all. We've got a double Sportube and I very much doubt boots would even fit through the opening. So I use a Sportube for the skis and one of those double decker Ellis Brigham holdalls with a reinforced base. Boots lay flat in the bottom section and clothes go in the top section. It's the skis you end up waiting for to arrive at baggage reclaim anyway, so you might as well check a bag too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to all for a great set of responses.

Went for the single sportube in the end (I realise it's probably overkill, but the baggage handler stories are sufficiently scary...), and will stick with putting everything else in my 1 checked bag.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably a good choice, I'm just back and it looked like my bag had been to 'Nam.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
awf, Sportubes are great for ski protection and once you've used them a couple of times, they're very quick to pack/unpack. You don't need any additional protection such as bubble wrap, but it is worth sticking a little piece of foam between the rear binding and opposing ski topsheet where they touch. You'll see where I mean when packing them. I've used mine countless times on long haul flights and the skis have always been safe.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
awf, Would also recommend Sportube. Mine is a double and is quite a weight fully loaded, you may be OK with the single but I would suggest that you either buy or make a towing handle to pull it about, trying to drag it by the top handle or the shoulder strap is a real forearm killer!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
awf, Don't buy the towing handle until you've tried it. I have a double and don't have any problem dragging it along by the handle. Maybe I'm just strong?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have the single and find the strap the best way to tow. But normally I wear it like a rifle.

I pack out the gap between the skis with my 2 sets of poles, all my wax, iron and tuning gear, plus Shovel handle and saw blade
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
madmole, That's a good idea, never thought of that
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy