Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seriously cold air puts the Alps into deep freeze

Poster: A snowHead

Skiers are this weekend enduring some of the coldest temperatures to hit the Alps in the past decade. Special precautions need to be taken.
Map: Current 12-hour temperature forecast. Copyright Snow-forecast.com [click this link to enlarge]

A snapshot of temperatures in France and Switzerland on Saturday morning showed typical resort figures of -15C to -20C, with temperatures at altitude typically 10C below these levels. Windchill exacerbates the serious risk of frostbite in this situation...

For SnowForecast.com 3-6 day temperature forecasts (6 day maps require subscription) click here.

Pay particular attention to body extremities - face, fingers, toes, ears - in these conditions. Face masks, mitts, insulated ski boot covers (or heaters) are invaluable.
High exposed slopes - and particularly glaciers - are best avoided unless you have serious protection.

Any additional advice you'd like to pass on? Are you out there right now?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-01-05 12:05; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bet there's a reduction in yellow snow production Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, just back from Serre Che, absolutely freezing, -14 in valley yesterday morning before we left. -40 in wind chill at top of Eychauda lift on Monday afternoon. The wind was so strong it blew me back up the piste. Hubby actually wore his thermals all week for the first time. Lots of layers. I had my headband under my hat, then hood over the top of that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, Ditto - middle of last week in Les Arcs I was in frequently in full 'lifeboatman' mode - even on sunny days at low level - hood up and flaps over most of face. Only problem - my breath was diverted up inside goggles and freezing on the inside of decent, double layer, Bolle eye protection. Then what do you do ???? Answer - find a bar, absorb coffee and cognac or chocolate chaud au rhum, wipe inside of lenses with dry tissues, fit them before going outside - - - - - - - - - and start all over again. wink
Central core temp was always fine inside wicking long sleeve, long johns, and outer layer Columbia Titanium jacket (with fleece lining) and salopettes. Fingers and toes were occasionally quite tingly. Esp on exposed lifts.
Masque, when and if I managed to find the vital organ, it was definitely not out on the slopes !!!! Enjoyed our little excursions together Saturday & Sunday even though poor viz kept us low and made life tricky even down there.
Wrap up warm, peeps. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 29-01-05 15:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Electric hot air hand driers are quite useful for defrosting goggles in restaurants.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, in the Igloo restaurant in Megève, they discourage that with the rather dramatic warning "risque d'explosion!" Shock
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skied in Lapland 2 years ago in temps as low as -37c (without windchill). The trouble was that this was that temperature as soon as you stepped out of the hotel so you wrapped up accordingly before going outside and then took the 5 minute walk to the lifts. The 5 min walk made you sweat and as soon as you got on the t-bar (no chairlifts in the resort) the moisture on the toes/fingers froze and that was it, one run and then a defrost before mounting the t bar again. Not enjoyable but better than being in the office.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kuwait_ian, kuwait_ian, I found the facemask steamed the goggles up something terrible. Consumed large quantities of vin chaud and hot choc . Thermals, thin fleece, thicker fleece, then outer shell. Bought some wool and silk socks which warmed my feet up no end. Even my hubby who is usually too hot in his ski gear had thermals on all week. The only yellow snow I saw had obviuosly been done by the local canines. Most of them were curled up in front of the stoves in the bars. The hotel cat miaowed outside the door 2 nights in a row looking for a warm bed. It was warmer in Banff when we were there a couple fo years ago.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
up4it wrote:
Skied in Lapland 2 years ago in temps as low as -37c (without windchill). The trouble was that this was that temperature as soon as you stepped out of the hotel so you wrapped up accordingly before going outside and then took the 5 minute walk to the lifts. The 5 min walk made you sweat and as soon as you got on the t-bar (no chairlifts in the resort) the moisture on the toes/fingers froze and that was it, one run and then a defrost before mounting the t bar again. Not enjoyable but better than being in the office.

As we are off to Levi in 5 weeks time, I was wondering what time of year you skied in Lapland? We have been told that March isnt so cold as January?

Can u enlighten me a little as we are skiing with a 5 yr old........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fruity, i went to Levi Feb 2001 and temperatures hovered around 0c and about -6c. It was marvelous, fantastic people, food, northern lights and all the excursions youve no doubt heard about. Stayed in cabins in the "forest"

We returned the following year in late Jan 2002 was when we had the cold weather although it +6c the week before we left. You should have no problems with March, conditions will be at their best and all the slopes/lifts will be open, it will be warmer, lighter and better overall. We don't have kids but a doubt you could find a more child friendly place, it was a funny sight watching the little ones being pulled by their instructor on a sledge tied to the back of a snowmobile en route to their lessons. Stayed in the Levunturi(?) hotel.

No chairlifts, only T bars and 1 gondala but it is a magical place.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just got back from Verbier and it has been perishingly cold in Switzerland this week. In resort it didn't seem particularly chilly, but high on the mountain it was brutal - certainly the coldest I've ever felt while skiing in the Alps. Local Meteo reported -37C @ 3000m on Wednesday afternoon, winds fairly light at 35kmh. Wore more layers than my usual 'cold day' kit - additional full-body thermal base layers, silk inner gloves and socks, an extra fleece, a face mask, but even then I often found myself shivering hard on the lifts, and once had to stop skiing and head into a restuarant feeling quite 'ill' because of the cold. My fingertips and toes were hurting all week.

Fantastic skiing though - thigh-deep untracked powder through the trees at Bruson and in the bowls below Attelas & Col Des Mines, yippee snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Les Arc - second part of the trip was the coldest I've ever skied. The weather finally got to me on Saturday and I stopped because I was too cold (the first time ever!). Fortunately the wind was never that strong so wind chill factors weren't into the 'life-threatening' category, but I'm sure glad that I didn't end up on any stuck chairlifts...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back from my trip to Val D Isere. Had a fantastic time but it was soo cold, minus 20 all day. Had to invest in extra thermals and a face mask but was still damn cold, especially on those chair lifts. Flew out sunday 23rd and the flight got diverted to Lyon aiport as geneva airport was closed for the first time in god knows how long because of the heavy snowfall. Arrived at the resort 8 hours late but we didnt mind too much because it meant ski conditions were pretty good, loads of fresh snow and sunny but it wasnt half cold up those mountains!
Advice to anyone flying next week - pack extra thermals in your suitcase. And pack me in there too please, i wanna go back. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from Meribel....-20 at village level, b...y cold up on the Mountains, but the sun was shining and the views down the valleys stunning! Managed to freeze a 2euro coin to my lips Embarassed had just taken it out of my pocket ready to put in the car park pay machine, popped it in my mouth to hold while I zipped back up and Shocked it stuck there! Layers, layers, layers guys if you're off out that way!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The tips of my fingers and toes got very cold (otherwise I was toasty warm) in les Arcs. I'm considering developing electric heated ski boots (battery in the sole, elements round the toes and battery compartment) to prevent frozen toe-syndrome. For thumbs, I found that the hand warmers on the wrist helpeda great deal, but would have liked a third pair of gloves (thin inners, I have fleecy inners at the moment) to top it off. With all of those, I'd have been fine.

For faces, use ballies.
ski holidays
The map's going a bit more green now, whereas it was a severe shade of blue/purple over the weekend. Not sure it these are the flesh tones you get from exposed skin. I'll have to ask snow-forecast.com how they choose their colours!
snow report
Just back from 3v, La Tania. Cold weather kept the runs nice and quiet!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy