Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pas last week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What a week! More ups and downs than a field of moguls.

The Downs: Started off very bad. We stayed at the Himilaia, Pas. Between them and Inghams they managed to leave our luggage at the bottom of the town in the snow for 4 hours!! (you have to walk up to the hotel as the road is too narrow to get the tour bus up). Then we had a leaking window in our room. Then the lifts were closed for the first two days of skiing, and for 2 hours on the third day. Arrrggghhhh!!!! On day two I was getting such cabin fever that I had to get out and start walking up the piste (not very fair, I will say) then sliding down - repeat until exhausted. By day three lessons got underway, but they were chaotic for the next 2 days as the instructors tried to sort out what they'd got. At the end of the week, the French border was closed (the French didn't want to pay to clear it), our flight was diverted to Barcelona from Toulouse, and the 3 hour transfer took nearer 6. The coach was late arriving, my son left his Gameboy in the hotel (which I had to hike back up the hill to fetch), and during the one stop on the transfer back to Barcelona we stopped at a small Spanish service station with 18 other coach loads!!!! It was chaotic, and by the time we got there, there was nothing left to eat! The plane was 3 hours late as a result, and at one point it looked like it was going to be cancelled. I spent most of the day trying to calm my 3 children down and find them something to eat and drink.

The Ups: The snow was awesome. We had 4 (3.5) great days skiing. Following my lessons I now know why my parallel turns work (or, more often, don't work), and have some good stuff to work on next time. I love the skiing in Pas and Grau Roig. There's loads of variety for my standard; perhaps missing some truly long pistes, some more tree-lined slopes (there are some) and a couple of really tricky blacks. However, you can find most of what you want in a confined area, with a tremendous variety in snow conditions - from ice to off-piste through well groomed pistes. I had immense fun burning down the "Directa I" red slope (not very elegantly, but pretty quick - and (for the safety conscious) safely, you'll understand!). I also had a good laugh (!) tackling an interesting black mogul run at the end of a particularly taxing lesson. We had two days of brilliant sun, which was great, and two days of snow, which (IMHO) was also great. I love the challenge of different conditions and was really pleased we had a couple of days of flat light with the snow hitting your face just to experience it. The Himilaia was well placed for what we wanted - out of main town so not noisy (this might be exclusive to half term week, I don't know), with its own ski lockers, close enough to the slopes to be nearly ski-in ski-out. Food was average to poor, but I'm not there to eat - I'm there to ski! Accommodation is OK, without being blinding. Plus side is the pool/Jacuzzi, which amused the kids for the 2 down days and helped to soothe aching muscles.

Would I go back? For the skiing, yes, absolutely. For the hotel? Probably not at those prices. Would I use Inghams again? Almost definitely not, unless there was a package I really wanted at a seriously good price.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve, see my report in the Snow Conditions section on Baqueira!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I read that. Certainly an interesting week in the Pyrenees. I assume you rate Baqueira from your comments. Have you skied in Grandvalira? If so, what are the comparisons like? I certainly like the sound of better food on the Spanish side(!), and if that can be combined with good skiing I might well have to give it a go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve, I haven't skied in Andorra but I do know that now the Grandvalira exists, there is more to aim at. Try www.baqueira.es and have a look at things. The piste map doesn't tell the full story as I'd say the accessible off-piste adds another 30% at least to the acreage. We chose to stay in tye valley but only 3k down the road from the base station. DIY t Toulouse and pick up a car! Our drive back took a touch over two hours, and that was with a very slow first part of thye journey in morning snow! The Aran Valley is very pretty and the villages to stay in are either Tredos, Salardu or Arties. Any further out and you might get irritated by the drive. The resort itself has loads of accommodation and a fair supply of places to eat and drink but we went for a bit more character just down the road. Either book via the central agency or direct with the hotels. I know feel I must go for a long weekend in early April! Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - v helpful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Legal Steve, Maybe you should try Soldeu or El-tarter another time. The lower lifts are a little less prone to closure.... The bottom half of the hill is a little more sheltered.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We got across to Soldeu once during the week - the Grandvalira pass now gives access to the whole area. That's not a bad plan at all, and the Sport Hotel in Soldeu looks nice. What's the skiing like in Soldeu itself? I have to say I didn't see much of it; I really enjoyed Grau Roig for the variety and relatively empty slopes, so we stayed there most of the time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't really say if the skiing is much different to Pas. The bottom half of the area is tree lined, which may be why it is a little more sheltered.
I do know that in the days of the resorts being separate, more knowlegeable people than myself used to say the most enjoyable ski=ing in Andorra is found in the Soldeu- El Tarter area. There are one or two long runs, the longest being about 8km and very easy, which are quite enjoyable if you enjoy your long schusses.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all going out to Pas this Sunday..Legal Steve any idea as to wether they were planning on opening up the access roads frm france? As we're flying into Toulose and didnt fancy having to change to barcalona.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Legal Steve, we stayed in Pas in January vowed never to return, however we have stayed in Soldeu for the past 3 years which we found fab and value for money infact i have ntot been able to fault Soldeu at all, so please dont give up on Andorra. Blush Blush
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure, Barny. tbh I was surprised the road was closed, as usually everyone tries their damndest to keep it open on transfer days. Whilst heavy snow is the norm for the Andorra-France border, road closure at weekends is pretty unusual, so I reckon you'll be OK.

Snowbird, thanks. I reckon we'll find our way back to Andorra and might well go for Soldeu next time. As I said at the top of the post, I love Grau Roig and Pas for the sheer variety in a relatively small area. Plus the locals are really friendly (in my experience); and (by and large) the skiers aren't pretentious. You can learn without feeling too daft.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy