Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Restaurants/Bars

Poster: A snowHead
Over on the "other site", someone had an idea to start a guide to drinking holes and restaurants in various resorts as per good pub guide. They thought we could then update each resort as and when we all return. Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a nice idea. I'd like to see some 'hard' information - like a few sample menu items and prices, as well as people's subjective opinions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you mean in a website format, factsheets, that sort of thing? Running the forum alone is pretty time-consuming, setting up a separate website database might be an idea, but that would need discussing under "suggestions"? In the forum itself posts on individual resorts/recommendations would get all mixed up and lost in the mass of unsorted info, wouldn't it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've already started one for what I hope will be the whole of the Jungfrau Region, at the moment there are just a few hotels and a fair number of pictures from the resorts and the pistes but I will eventually add info on bars and restaurants so that anyone wanting to go to the area can get a good idea about accomodation, food and skiing area
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris-started another thread on this a couple of weeks ago-I've put it back to the top this morning, as it had slipped a bit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, I think it's a great idea to start a number of factfiles in a website environment, especially given how popular this forum is likely to be. But it's pretty time-consuming to manage.. admin has made it clear how much the snowHeads forum alone takes up of his time. So it would probably need more volunteers to prepare and maintain the separate web pages....

I wouldn't mind helping out myself, but at the moment I'm not sure in what direction the organizers wish to take the forum.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We could create a pseudo Wiki. How about a separate forum for "Fact files". A different thread for each subject. People post the info to the thread. We can have a different volunteer to "manage" each thread - e.g. delete off-topic posts, edit or amalgamate posts, etc. Or a few to manage the whole forum.

If there's a strict posting policy that's enforced - e.g. one post per person allowed in each thread - if you want to add or change anything then you have to edit it they should useable.

There might be a couple of subjects (say "piste rules", "boots & bindings" for example) that might be sticky so they stay at the top. However, as there wouldn't be a huge number of threads subjects should be findable.

If it got good enough, you may even be able to get a few sponsored threads to help pay for the site. Maybe.

Just a thought.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's interesting, and far more manageable - but would it get the same exposure and be 'googled' in the same way as a basic website? If there's a load of factfiles snowHeads could easily end up rivalling one of the, cough... unmentionable... websites, in terms of traffic. That could solve any longterm financing difficulties through sponsorship and/or advertising...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't see why it wouldn't be googled or exposed. If it was mad readable to non-members, anyone could access it, include the search engine spiders. It would also get people to the site, rather than to one that links here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be willing to host such a site
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was thinking of a forum on this site (e.g. a sort of "sub-forum"). But I guess there might be limits that prevent that.

Incidentally, who hosts this site now?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
U... although I don't know if it's on his own server or not.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, I meant the hosting company (for instance, one site I run - totally un-snow related is hosted by flump.net).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know it sounds simplistic, but what if we had a forum where the resorts were listed already. We could then post replys updating each other on whats good and whats not.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris M-J, Excellent idea!

Even better would be if the "posts" (i.e. resorts) could be kept in alphabetical order (maybe even subgrouped by country).

Any chance of this U/Ian? (I know you're not the admin, Ian, but you seem to have a good grasp of what php can do).
ski holidays
I think you'd need to have the forum split up by country and then resort to work out well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy