Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead

Poster: A snowHead
I was lucky enough to ski at the new indoor slope today so thought I'd write a brief review. Overall I was very impressed.

Snow quality was excellent - one small patch of ice half way down on the left, but other than that great. Considerably better than the older indoor slopes in the UK, technology has obviously moved on. Comparable to Chill Factor e in it's best times - I've not skied there when it's really busy, or recently.

Both lifts were working well with minimal queuing. There were about 70 people using the slope at the time but we queued for no more than 30 seconds max and normally no queue at all, despite the fact they were only letting you use every other poma. (Not sure why, but they said that was temporary).

The staff were all very enthusiastic and helpful, although they were obviously learning and some seemed a little nervous. I'm sure they'll be learning very quickly over the next few days and will soon be fully up to speed.

The quality of the finish is excellent and there were no obvious snagging issues as there are with many places that have just opened.

My boyfriend took his own boots and used the hire skis, he was impressed with them.

Only pointer is - no lockable ski racks or ski lockers for you to leave your own kit if you want to go to the bar after skiing. Or if there were I didn't see them.

Took us 1hr 15mins to drive there from London Bridge on a Saturdy morning, but train is apparently only 25 mins from Euston.

So to sum up we had a great time and will definitely be going back.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Posted a few photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=249770&id=582290530&l=3528dec4f9
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, Really pleased you had a good time. The lifts are still in the process of dialing in the power requirements, if they run with a lot of load atm, they pretty much drop down to a crawl, hence the every other poma, o as to halve the load. It's being worked on, to match the power supplied to the lifts with the draw. Full power for some reason wasn't being fed by the plant room, another 50p in the meter maybe. Until us lot descended on Thursday night, the lifts hadn't been subjected to maximum load, so the supply issue hadn't revealed itself. I'm sure it'll be sorted very soon.
Main reason for the shakedown period and having a soft opening.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, good report. one little thing i noticed in your photos is that they have put up numbers over the changing benches. I assume that they are meeting points so instructors can greet their classes. A bit geeky i know but the amount of times i havent been able to find all the people in a group lesson at MK, or, when people join the wrong group when several group lessons started at the same time was maddening.
snow report
 monster77
monster77
beanie1 wrote:

Only pointer is - no lockable ski racks or ski lockers for you to leave your own kit if you want to go to the bar after skiing. Or if there were I didn't see them.

There are some ski racks in the bar. at the top of the stairs on your left as you go up, the rack is beside the conference room. but they are not lockable.

We left our kit in the lockers in the boot room and took our skis up to the bar when we finished on Saturday. Some friends from the west country got an invite to ski, so Me and Pen had to keep an eye them.
wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I put my skis and kit back in my car, before I went to the bar. Some lockable racks would be a good idea if you're taking a break between sessions though. I'm going totake another look at them to see if I could use some sort of ski lock with them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting insurance claim,
Where were the skis stolen from?
Outsude a bar in Hemel Hempstead! Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought I'd add my comments Toofy Grin

Yesterday (Sunday) I went along to a preview session at the new Hemel Snow Centre, I was accompanied by my wife and two children (5 and 9) and an instructor friend. Myself, my friend and 9 year old daughter skied and the others did some tubing and sampled the delights of The Edge bar upstairs, my daughter also managed to fit some tubing in later in the session. Because we had travelled a good distance we were lucky enough to be given two hours of slope time and I have to say for once (at a dome) we used every minute of it!

Here's a review of the day:

The building

All of us came away very impressed by what the design and building team have produced at Hemel. The feeling of light and space inside is more than impressive and stands in absolute contrast to anything I've seen before in UK snowdomes (bear in mind though that I haven't been to Chill Factore though).

The building gives the impression that a great deal of thought, care an attention has been lavished on it. I commented to my wife on the way home that I've been into a lot of new buildings of all uses (particularly educational) in the last few years and IMHO they tend to fall into one of 3 categories. There are those that despite great promises from architects and builders are poorly designed and constructed and fail to deliver on most key points; those that do the job fine and that's about as far as it goes and then, lastly, a few that manage to do the job they were built for well but also go beyond that and become places (and spaces) that are a pleasure to be in. They are the sorts of buildings that surprise with their interior (and often exterior) attention to detail as well as their blending well into the environment in which they are built - they fulfil their function far more than adequately and are a pleasure to be in.

With no bullsh*t whatsoever, I think Hemel have managed to get into the latter category and that's no mean feat - brilliant job!

The slope

Given the restrictions of space that they had to grapple with (restricted site size and the hill etc.) I think they've done a superb job. The slope is wide enough to get some decent carves in (unlike many domes and dry slopes), the slope feels light and airy (unlike the feeling you get at MK where the roof seems way too low and the slope is cluttered by pillars and other items) and the snow quality is currently excellent (I hope it stays that way). Even the air inside seemed fresh and pleasant, not something I have been able to say at other domes. Oh, and the murals are great, I love the way the mural on the top right hand side showing people on a platform looking at the mountains almost looks on first glance like it's part of the 'real' Poma tow in front of it.

My only proviso about space would be that I hope they don't allow the slope to get too crowded. Yesterday it was obvious that numbers were strictly controlled and that certainly made for a better on-slope experience. Comments about other domes, Tamworth in particular, often seem to become very negative when people have experienced an over crowded slope.

Having acknowledged the space restrictions above though I would say that the only hint of disappointment I had was at the limited length of the main slope. I'm not sure how absolute measurements of length compare but it did seem shorter than Tamworth. I do think the UK is crying out for slopes of a serious length like those currently available in Holland. The width of the main slope (35 metres if I remember correctly, does offset this though so good job there). The gradient of the main slope should also be commended, slightly steeper at the top and more gradual further down, and gives slope users a good idea of what a blue run would offer them on a mountain.

The nursery slope (although I didn't try it) also looks to be more than up to the job, offering a good width and gradient for those progressing up the slope. Again a decent width offering safe space for lessons and the tubing sessions there were certainly proving popular with kids of all ages!

As has been mentioned by others here the Poma tows were going through a few 'teething' problems so it'd be unfair to comment on that, hopefully they'll be sorted out soon. I did feel, being used to more space both at the dry slope and on the mountain, that the tow loading area on the one by the wall was a little narrow (something I noticed at MK too) and I managed to bash my head on the hanger at the top of the other one when I dismounted for the first time. I guess because I got off quicker than would be usual for most users and took a more direct route from it to the top of the slope than I might have. Luckily I had a helmet on or I would have hurt myself (I certainly felt it through the helmet) but be aware of this when you get off the lifts if you visit.

The staff

Training certainly seems to have paid off and all of us were very impressed with the staff throughout the afternoon. Everyone was friendly, helpful and willing to chat and it was obvious that they were all 'singing from the same hymn sheet' as it were, even if some were obviously a little nervous and still learning the ropes. I say this because it really does contrast with the attitude of staff (excluding instructors) that I've experienced at some other slopes.

It'll be interesting to see if Hemel can maintain this level of staff commitment, I certainly hope they can.

The Edge (bar and restaurant)

Great decor, great design, lots of space and nice chilled atmosphere!

If I were to make any comments about the decor I'd say a few more snowsports piccies would be good and, even better, a few bits of old equipment on the walls would also be great (but I'm a total old ski equipment junkie so take that with a pinch of salt! Wink ).

Again the staff were excellent, very helpful and very attentive - again gpoing out of their way to provide a good experience. However, here in particular it was obvious that people were still learning the ropes and not everyone had quite got to grips with the tills and card machines or the ordering process but they'll get there, certainly judging by their eagerness.

I don't want to end on a bum note but we did have food here and given the atmosphere and promise of the surroundings I'd say sadly this was one of the few things that fell short of excellence. It was fine but not great and the portions were a little on the small side, I guess perhaps the excellence of everything else at Hemel highlighted this to some extent because it was probably better than I've had at many other UK slopes and I'm sure they'll be able to iron out any issues in time anyway.

All in all though the experience was excellent and I can only recommend Hemel whole heartedly to anyone thinking of going there and congratulate everyone involved on a slope that was rarely less than very impressive.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With 60+ snowheads turning up there for best part of an evening on the 6th June I hope they sort the food out.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 4-05-09 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1 wrote:
Posted a few photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=249770&id=582290530&l=3528dec4f9

From these pictures it looks a lot like the chill factore. Which is not a bad thing.

Looking forward to the meet up
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
With 60+ snowheads turning up there for best part of an evening on the 5th June I hope they sort the food out.

I'm going for the skiing...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Michelle, Agreed, but I'd sooner do so with a snack somewhere in the 4 hrs!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, bag of nuts with your beer?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle, Megamum drinking beer? Surely not.................. wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went with my (slightly reluctant) husband today to the Hemel Snow Centre for an hour between 1pm and 2pm.

I would absolutely agree with all the positive comments roga, has made regarding the building, slope, staff and bar/restaurant (excluding the part about bits of old equipment!). Like him I hope the Hemel Snow Centre is able to maintain all the high standards it has set.

I would also like to add a few comments of my own.

We were impressed immediately on entering the car park to be met by a smiling attendant who directed us as to where to park and told us what we needed to do on entering the building. I presume they won't normally have an attendant but it was a nice touch for our first visit.

Every single member of staff we encounted was smiling, polite, helpful and obviously taking pains to ensure we got as much as possible out of our time there.

We had our own boots so only used the rental department for skis. Here, although busy, the staff were efficient and took care in meeting our requirements.

We only had a drink in the bar, so cannot comment on the food. My husband did inform the staff though that an improvement would be the availability of 'proper' beer! They said they would pass the comment on their manager.

With regard to the poma lift, I personally found it much easier to dismount than the one at MK, which is the only other indoor snow centre I have experience of. As mentioned by roga, however, there may be an issue with this for a few people, as while we were standing at the top of the slope we heard a bang and turned to see someone lying on the ground beside the top of the lift next to the nursery slope. I didn't see what had happened so don't know if the person had just dismounted from the lift but it was reassuring to see 3 staff members immediately rush over to assist.

To sum up, we both thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so much so that my previously unenthusiastic husband happily enrolled as a member before we left! We look forward to returning and enjoying the benefits of membership. snowHead snowHead
snow report
On the topic of the pomas - friend of mine also banged his head. Also I noticed at the place where you get on the poma there was ever so slight slope. Everyone skiing there on Saturday were above average skiers and it wasn't busy, but imagine it might cause a few problems at busy times and when you have beginners progressing from the nursery slope.
snow report
Michelle wrote:
Megamum wrote:
With 60+ snowheads turning up there for best part of an evening on the 5th June I hope they sort the food out.

I'm going for the skiing...

Me too snowHead
snow report
Why can we not go for it all;

Skiing
food
beer
and good company

That's what I'm going for.
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
On the topic of the pomas - friend of mine also banged his head. Also I noticed at the place where you get on the poma there was ever so slight slope. Everyone skiing there on Saturday were above average skiers and it wasn't busy, but imagine it might cause a few problems at busy times and when you have beginners progressing from the nursery slope.

The loading and dismount areas of the lifts were discussed on Thursday night at the Instructor session. The snow is still not quite at full depth, so a bit more modelling of the snow is still to take place in these areas, with a physical barrier of either snow or cushions at the top dismount areas to prevent early dismount, to prevent colliding with the Poma.
The loading areas were on Thursday slightly uphill and are being remodelled to be slightly downhill to make loading easier for beginners. They didn't have thw snow made and available in time to do this before the soft opening, but it's work in progress.

One of the good things about opening in Summer, is that these things can be totally sorted before the Winter peak, another lesson learnt from Chill, don't open at the busiest time of the year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iski wrote:

We only had a drink in the bar, so cannot comment on the food. My husband did inform the staff though that an improvement would be the availability of 'proper' beer! They said they would pass the comment on their manager.

I've already asked for a 'Proper Beer', Pedigree would be my choice, but the Guinness is particularly good I must say.
ski holidays
regarding the lady who ended up injured/on the snow next to the lift. based on the comments made by the lifties after the accident, apparently she got her trousers caught in the poma. I saw the state of the damaged button when it was brought back down and it appeared to be pretty bent (i could hear the extendable part of the pole being "sucked" back into the outer bit when i exited the lift at the top) or something had stopped it from going back into the outer bit. it's always scary when you see people fall off a poma.
snow report
Does anyone have any feedback on the toddlers snow play area?
ski holidays
^ It's in a netted off area at the bottom of the nursery slope.

When I was there there was nobody using it but it had a few softplay type items dotted about it.

I do remember thinking it was smaller than the area at Tamworth (which is away from the main and nursery slopes) and a bit more minimalist but I guess it'll be different once they get it all set up and fully working.
snow report
angel wrote:
Does anyone have any feedback on the toddlers snow play area?
A couple of photos

I don't think it was set up properly when I was there, just had a few of the snow garden toys put out.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Did you have fun? What was the slide like? wink
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, Did you have fun? What was the slide like? wink

Too steep for me Wink
latest report
How come none of those characters are wearing helmets?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Sun readers? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guys how far is this in reatlity from Luton airport? Is it a similar distance to say manchester and Chill Factor?
snow conditions
Ordhan wrote:
Guys how far is this in reatlity from Luton airport? Is it a similar distance to say manchester and Chill Factor?

15 to 20 mins drive
snow report
Quote:

The loading areas were on Thursday slightly uphill and are being remodelled to be slightly downhill to make loading easier for beginners. They didn't have thw snow made and available in time to do this before the soft opening, but it's work in progress.

Spyderman, that's good to hear.

Quote:

One of the good things about opening in Summer, is that these things can be totally sorted before the Winter peak, another lesson learnt from Chill, don't open at the busiest time of the year.

Good for an easier break in and staff training as you say, but not good for cash flow. Sometimes other factors mean ideal timing is beyond control - planning, funding etc.
snow report
Mouth, Thanks, flights are cheaper to Luton than to Manchester so I may pay a visit what are we talking £20 in a cab?
ski holidays
Just back from the Press and VIP opening of the slope. They're in the process of addressing the issues with the lifts (both seemed much better already) and have the Poma engineers in from France later this week to sort out the calibration of both units. Should be sorted out within the next few days. I also passed on comments about the lack of a decent bitter at the bar and the comments above on food. They seem keen to get as much feedback as possible.

There was a fair amount of press interest today, so the slope should be getting a bit of coverage in the ski press and the mainstream press. I got to ski with Alain Baxter and Sir Steve Redgrave who were both there as VIPs (Sir Steve has just started doing BASI exams and seems to be a keen skier as well as all round legend). Also got roped in to the filming of some promotional material that they were doing, although as my acting skills could best be described as lamentable I fear I'm destined for the cutting room floor Embarassed Highlight of the day for me was skiing in a sit-ski used by disabled skiers (bi ski for those in the know) - so much fun, although the first couple of runs were pretty scary!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 6-05-09 15:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
With 60+ snowheads turning up there for best part of an evening on the 6th June I hope they sort the food out.

Don't worry overly, the food isn't bad as such just not up to the excellence of everything else I'd say!
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Megamum wrote:

Don't worry overly, the food isn't bad as such just not up to the excellence of everything else I'd say!

We had a meeting last week with the head of catering, she was quite insistent to receive feedback, good or bad. If things aren't said, they won't improve. people just won't return.

To me 'OK' isn't good enough, but that's just how I work.
snow report
Spyderman, Is the catering in house or have they contracted it out?
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, It's in house, with Costa Coffee franchise for hot drinks. I haven't sampled the food yet, but the staff seem really on the ball and menu looks pretty good.
Decent cask Beer would be a bonus.
latest report
Spyderman, Mind you cask beer would take some keeping wouldn't it? Unless its kept well bad cask kept beer can be considerably worse than fizzy pump lager. I wonder if a supply of bottled beers would be a reasonable compromise
latest report
Spyderman, Costa? Mmmmm good choice.. I love Costa Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum, Which is probably the reason they haven't got any cask beer. The Guinness is pretty good from what I sampled, a friend had a pint of Worthingtons, which wasn't up to much, but I don't like it anyway, so I'll be avoiding that. There isn't another Beer on offer. Lager selection isn't bad, so might drink that in the Summer.
Pedigree would be very nice if they're listening. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy