Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Russian journalist writes about Hemel's Snow Centre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Russia is awake to Hemel Hempstead's new Snow Centre.

This report from RT.Korr.

Quote:
Фанатичным лыжникам, которые не успели накататься на горнолыжных курортах в Альпах, британцы сделали настоящий подарок. В английском городе Хемел-Хемпстед (Hemel Hempstead) в Хардфордшире открывается курорт под названием Snow Centre. Горнолыжный сезон в нем начнется уже 6 мая.

Any reaction to this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe from Hurtle but not from me!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, you are evidently adding to the hive in your hat. Would you like to explain your point or are we supposed to guess?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Хемел-Хемпстед clearly translates to Hemel Hempstead, so that's a start.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's just a factual report. It's under the heading 'tourism' which makes me smile a bit. Is it really likely that Russian tourists coming to Britain will go to Hemel for a quick slide?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, do those characters which look like Latin ones represent the same sounds or different ones? (Eg is 'p' actually pronounced like 'th'?)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Allow me...

To the fanatic skiers, who did not have time at the mountain-skiing health resorts in the Alps, Britain made a gift. In the English city Of hemel hempsted is opened the health resort by the name snow centre. Mountain-skiing season in it will begin already on May 6.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, you illustrate why translation work pays well. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Hurtle, do those characters which look like Latin ones represent the same sounds or different ones? (Eg is 'p' actually pronounced like 'th'?)
Some are similar, some aren't. The A is broadly like an A but, for example, P sounds like R and B sounds like V. My nephew always refers to Moscow as 'Mockba' because that's what it looks like in Cyrillic; but it is in fact pronounced Muskva (accent on last syllable.)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, fascinating. I suspected as much, since I could see no reason why the symbols we use for sounds should be anything other than arbitrary.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it's gonna be a long summer.....yup Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Στους φανατικούς σκιέρ, που δεν είχαν το χρόνο [nakatatsya] να βουνό-κάνουν σκι θέρετρο υγείας στις Άλπεις, οι Βρετανοί έκαναν ένα παρόν δώρο. Στην αγγλική πόλη [khemel] - [Khempsted] (Hemel του hempstead) μέσα [Khardfordshire] ανοίγεται το θέρετρο υγείας από το όνομα του χιονιού του κέντρου. Να βουνό-κάνει σκι η εποχή σε το θα αρχίσει ήδη στις 6 Μαΐου.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pistemeister, Is Χεμελ Χεμςτεδ what you're looking for? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's all Greek to me. Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
While we're working on the language, let's not forget that the first journalist in the Snow Centre was from the Russian-owned Evening Standard in London. Spyderman's identified Luftwaffe seagulls from Milton Keynes bombing parked cars nearby and has reminded us that snowHeads arriving on 6 June will be re-enacting the D-day landing of allied troops on the pistes of Normandy.

And the name of the slope at Hemel Hempstead?

Omaha Piste.

There's clearly more to this than meets the eye. Georges Salomon once remarked that his business success with ski products was based on WW1 military strategy, and I shall be wearing a tin helmet on 6 June.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy