Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan magfire 78ti Vs Salomon x-wing tornado ti

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience of using either of these skis?
I'm looking at buying my first skis as I'm going to be doing a season 09-10. I've skied 5 weeks and I'am pretty advanced for the time (without sounding big headed it's just they're advanced aimed skis) as I've skied with advanced skiers most of those weeks. I can get down anything (on piste! rolling eyes ) in control but technique needs some work ie black moguls, icy steeps. I intend to spend most of the time on piste but want the option of heading off if conditions allow. I like all kinds of skiing from short turns, long fast carves to bumps. I'm 180cm and 75kg so tend to use 164-170cm.

Last time I went I hired Atomic race gs 10s I think in 164 and I really liked them, smooth, easy carves really stable at speed. I guess if these worked well off piste I'd get them but with a waist of 166, they're no good, so as a compromise the magfires have 78 and the salomon about 75? I seem to be swayed more towards the magfires as they've got a bit of a tail tip for more options and they're cheaper Very Happy

So basically do these seem like a good choice, and what do you guys who've ridden them think of them?

Thanks very much in advance to any comments.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
properjob, welcome to snowheads. Notwithstanding your progress, you are a bit early to be buying skis at your stage in your skiing life. My guess is your tastes may change, particularly as you progress to more off piste. You've got a whole season - how about hiring to start with, then buying once you've clocked up a few more weeks? You might be able to strike a good deal with a ski shop on that basis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info achilles,
I see your point, I had thought of the hire route but it seems difficult to get the skis you want to try. Plus I'm only going to be there every other 2 weeks so getting to know a hire shop well that may discount a sale would be tricky. Easy to say now I know but, I don't think my taste will change greatly as I'm going to be in France where powder days are becoming more limited anyway and I've promised myself to avoid the snow park as I've learnt my lessons heading down that route mountain biking, and I'm not as indestructable as I thought I was back then! Shock
Despite my low numbers of weeks would it not be a benefit to have a long time to master just one ski instead of hiring the nearest I could get to what I wanted each time?
Cheers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
properjob, Welcome to snowHead Personally I am a big fan of both of these skis I use the magfires in an 82 though as I spen a little more time off piste .There is very little diffrence between the two skis only cost. I have skid on both and even boght the Tornados for the old man this year.

Personally I would go and get the magfire 12 or 82 whatever they are called this year. Enjoy the shopping oh and I might have a pair of the magfires for sale in Sep 4 Weeks on snow fully hand serviced and waked by yours truly and only minor scratches on the top sheet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
properjob, I have a set of Magfires 78Ti's never been on the snow, up for sale. PM me with an offer if you are interested
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
properjob, I would generally say buy skis and you are right to be looking at advanced skis. If you are a fast learner good skis will help you get to a good level if you use them properly.
You might find that you get a job which has equipment hire for the season included which would give you a chance to try more skis and change them with the conditions before buying. (although from your second post it appears you will only be out there some of the time may be not working???)
I have only tried the ordinary tornado I liked it but would prefer something stiffer for on piste and a bit wider for powder and slush. I considered the Tornado Ti but bought Scott Neos which ticked both boxes. On big powder days Something fatter might be nicer but they do fine and they eat crud. They are similarly stiff to the Ti not surprising both have wood and titanal construction.
Best of luck finding Tornado Ti at the moment. you could try edge2edge for ex hire at a discount they have em advertised but that sales been on a few weeks already.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the info guys,
I think I'll go for the 78tis as I've seen loads of good video reviews and fattes13 seems content. I know I should really try them out but they seem to tick all the boxes I want from what the testers say. BMF Skier, you have a PM Very Happy
yeah I'm going to be out a total of about 12 weeks as I'm a shift worker and I intend on skiing all the time, if I'm feeling energetic I might try and find a bar job a few nights a week for something else to do! wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
properjob, I have the 82's but pretty much the same piece of kit just with a thinner waist. There is nothing bad I could say about them so go nuts! Enjoy them nothing like having your own kit
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
properjob, I tested the Tornado Ti this year and really enjoyed it. They really carve well on the piste but my off piste skills are similar to yours and while I went off piste on them, I can't tell you much about their performance. Although I really liked the Tornado's, I opted to do the same as RPF and bought some Scott Neos.

I'd recommend you think hard about the length of the skis you intend to buy. I'm also 180cm and 74kgs so near as dammit the same as you. I've got a few more weeks under my belt but I think we're a similar sort of standard. This year I bought skis for the first time (the Neo) and bought them in 176cm to give me a bit more float off piste. I'd recommend you buy skis at least 170cm in length (or longer) and if you think they maybe a touch on the long side then go and test some longer skis first. As you progress off piste, this will help.

Let me know if you want any advice. Being a similar stature to you, i've trodden this path this year.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kersh wrote:
.....and bought them in 176cm to give me a bit more float off piste.....

That sort of length seems to come in handy when on breakable crust, IME. Generally speaking, I have less problems on that than others. I am sure it has nothing to do with skiing ability, and a lot to do with my skis (178 Missions). Mind you, I am more than a tad heavier than you guys. Embarassed

And the skis didn't save me at the EOSB when I transitioned from lovely soft snow to breakable crust - without me realising it until I came a cropper.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

176cm to give me a bit more float off piste

They need this length on piste too IMO.

I measured the running length of my 176 Neos at 148 (nearly a foot less than the total length 9 (or 84 % of it if you prefer)) They ski short on piste being a semi twin and i found their shorter model did'nt have enough edge grip and I skidded turns that I never would on the 176.

The non twin Tornado will have more running length so the lengths you mentioned you used will be right. I skied the non Ti in 162 and 170 and enjoyed both. Still found the Neo does everything better (IMO). That said going through a number of skis was a great experience and taught me that the Neo was the type of ski I liked for general use. I like the stiffness on piste and in crud. I like that it skis a bit short on piste and the extra bit of length and waist width as Kersh said is good in powder and spring slush. (they are still short and skinny compared to much of what is used for powder skiing)

I'm similar size (a tad heavier) than you or Kersh, and a similar level.

properjob, Puzzled Are you able to find Tornado Ti at this stage of the season???? Edge2edge have some ex demo (they also have the neo exdemo and new) I'm not trying to pimp the Neos I promise but I do love 'em Laughing They have quite a few all mountain skis such as head monsters an rossi bandits all in and around the 80mm waist mark. Good prices too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys,
I think I'll do some research on the Neos then, I thought I'd cracked it after my hours of reading reviews on the tornados and magfires! Laughing
Kersh and rpf, are the neos still really good on-piste, how did they compare with the tornados on piste? I know the off piste is the route most go after experience but I think the usual snow conditions won't allow it frequently enough to loose on piste performance. I'm after a 70% ish on piste ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
properjob, Ive not skied the Tornado Ti, but on piste the Neo is better than the ordinary Tornado IMO. Holds an edge well likes to ski fast the edges engage and switch over easily. Probably similar stiffness to Tornado Ti. There are a lot of guys reporting much fatter skis working very well on piste too. Their real beauty is in how they deal so well with so much different snow.
They are good on powder and dont hook up as much as the tornados. Yes on the deeper days something fatter might be nice. and on the really hard ice something more race like would be better (but my technique skiing ice will be worked on first). Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
properjob, I've not skied on the Neo yet, my skis are somewhere in the post at the moment winging their way to me. I tested some skis this year and that gave me a beeter idea of what I wanted. After that I started to look into buying skis further and on paper, reviews and other people's recommendation (likeRPF and others), the Neo was the best ski for me. It was important that the ski went well on the piste because that's where I spend most of my time but want more off piste action.

If you look into the Neo, you'll probably find it will become a contender for you too. If you want to pick up a bargain, certainly look at Edge 2 Edge's sale like RPF says. I decided to buy my skis new and bought them without bindings from Ski Surf for £280 (stick it into google).

Cheers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
properjob, can you get yourself down to a snowdome to test some different models? Afterall there's nothing like actually sliding around to find out whether a ski is the right choice.
snow report
abj, better out in a resort I reckon. I contacted some ski hire places before I went away this year and they had a pretty good selection. The only problem is it can be expensive to hire nice skis ... but it's free at Xscape or the dome. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

it's free at Xscape or the dome. snowHead

That's what I was thinking. Although, at this time of the year, I don't know what sort range they'll have (?)
snow report
abj, I tried to test some Scott Neo's at any of the indoor ski slopes at the end of March but they had already sold alot of the ex-test skis and didn't have the Neo in the length I was after. I doubt they've got many at all now (unless someone knows better)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy