Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
primoz wrote:
......skis should be waxed quite often, while edges need to be done only once in a while (at least for huge majority of skiers).

I disgaree with that statement in that they should at least be regularly deburred - but then you wnet & said as much in your following post.

BTW, GrahamN is training/racing a few times a week on a dryslope hence his edge attrition rate.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN wrote:
OK, so it's not the most typical skiing in the world - racing on plastic.

Ok now this is something completely different Smile I was thinking about snow, but for plastic I have no experience, and it does sound logical to sharpen them more often. But as I said, I have no experience with plastic, so I believe what you said Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
primoz, trust me, having no experience of skiing on plastic is a good thing Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, thanks for the tips and thanks everyone else for the links and advice. I took the skis in to one of the very best service repair places in queenstown today - it's 25 dollars for a service - just under £10 so I think for the sake of a few pound I will leave it to the pro's in future!

spyderjon, as the others have pointed out, in NZ at the mo. I'm sure you're very good so maybe when I'm back in the UK!

NB snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NomadicBoo, That sounds good value. It's worth having a chat with the service guys and see how they do the service. Try to get shops who service by hand rather than by machine your skis will last longer and not be changed after servicing. Some of the ski shops in France have big pictures of their ski tuning machines in the window advertising their services. I read them as warning signs wink

You can wax as much as you like without doing harm but edges do just as much as they need, deburring little and often as per Spyderjons post at the top of this page.
Tuning is not difficult but its also not dificult to mess up either.

The other thing you might have done whilst doing your edges was use a guide with the wrong angle. If the angle of your guide is less than that of your side edge you will actually make you edges more blunt.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RPF wrote:
Try to get shops who service by hand rather than by machine your skis will last longer

That's not true anymore. Edge tuning in WC is today done almost exclusively with machines, and at least around here (Slovenia) some services started to use same machines last winter, so I doubt it would be much different somewhere else. Edges prepared this way last much longer (even for racers), not to mention they are prepared more accurately, and sometimes even the way they couldn't be prepared before by hand. But I agree... Wintersteiger (just for example) do it all machines are not the way to go Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Wintersteiger (just for example) do it all machines are not the way to go

Thats the type of thing I was on about all right.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

RPF wrote:
If the angle of your guide is less than that of your side edge you will actually make you edges more blunt.
No it won't, it will just take off metal from further up the side edge, without doing anything for the edge sharpness itself - until you take enough off, in which case you get a nice sharp edge at the finer angle.

Interesting observations this weekend regarding the amount and way I sharpen my edges. Yesterday we had a very straight course (after one sharp turn at the start), and all I needed to do all day was just touch up the edge between each run with a diamond file. Sharpening them yesterday evening though in readiness for today's race required a load of edge taken off to get anything remotely sharp.

Today's course had a pretty turny section coming out of a very fast combination (with a roller thrown in for good measure). So I made sure I gave the edges a good tune up after my warm-up session. The first run through the course I set up for the first of those turns with a not bad line (maybe not perfect, but good enough) - but my skis just went sideways with nowhere near enough grip to make the turn. So back to the tuning bench, where I remembered that the thing I'd forgotten on that first turn was to finish off with a diamond stone to exaggerate the burr/hook on the edge. Second run, having done that - grip to spare (and my scrabbling around to stay in at at the bottom of the course was entirely due to my own incompetence). Third run, the same (and I finally managed to get a gold-medal run time Blush Very Happy Very Happy ). Deliberately creating a slight hook on your edge is sort of received wisdom when tuning for plastic, but this was a very clear demonstration of the effect (and one of our coaches had a similar result last year, at a much higher level than mu meagre efforts, when moving from 5th in a Club National to Grand Prix winner the following day)

Sorry for the thread hijack, NomadicBoo, as this absolutely not relevant to your problem.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, I regularly get enquiries from dryslope racers for tools to create a hanging burr.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

RPF wrote:
If the angle of your guide is less than that of your side edge you will actually make you edges more blunt.
No it won't, it will just take off metal from further up the side edge, without doing anything for the edge sharpness itself - until you take enough off, in which case you get a nice sharp edge at the finer angle.

GrahamN,
Is that not if you have more angle on your guide? or am I thinking of edge angles in 0, 1, 2, 3 degrees and you in 90, 89, 88, 87??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, that's one source of the confusion. I would also differ from you in the use of the word "blunt". To me "blunt" means having a rounded edge, so it's perfectly possible to have a) a blunt 87 degree edge or b) a sharp 90 degree edge (rather poor attempt to illustrate follows):
Code:

a)         /                            b)     |
         /                                     |
        |                                      |
         \___                                  |____________

On hard snow/ice/dry you'll get much better grip from b) than a).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, Thought that might be it wink . I loosely used the tem blunt but that makes sense.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy