Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Right, so me and Mrs NB are heading to NZ for the season in about 1 month! We intend to stay there for atleast 3 months doing nothing but skiing! we have both bought our own skis and boots which we pick up on arrival and these will be set up, serviced and ready to go.

My question is, as we will be using them nearly every day over a 3-4 month period, how often will they need to be serviced? Will the din settings need to be tightened often and wax applied etc?

Cost is a big thing for us as we've pretty much spent every penny getting there, staying there, buying skis and ski passes and could do without any additional costs. Do you think this is something I could do myself? Or is it something so irregular it could only need being done once or twice in a 4 month period and best left to the experts?

Any help, guides etc appreciated.

NB
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.jonsskituning.co.uk good ski tuning resource. You could book into one of his tuning courses or get his tuning instructional DVD
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or I could do a tuning course and be a sort of 'ski nanny' for you? Toofy Grin

Have a great trip, sounds fab.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends how obsessive you are. Some would say do nothing.
A lot of people would suggest that you need to get the skis waxed and edged once a fortnight, but once a month may suffice if you buy a small tool http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/quick-sharp-pocket-edge-tuner-24172883 to run over the skis once a week and put on something lilke zardoz or a rub-on wax every four or five days.
DIN settings may not need to change, though if you improve you may want to put them up a notch or two. Only a screwdriver needed, but almost any shop will do that for you for free.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NomadicBoo, Your bindings will be set by the store & theoretically won't need changing. However it's likely that your DIN chart criteria might change during the 3 months, ie you progressively ski faster & more difficult terrain which may require higher settings. I'd recommend familiarising yourself with the make/model/adjustment of your bindings in advance which actually very straightforward.

Maintaining your own skis is also very straightforward & has the added benefit of producing better results with a lot less material removal than the machine servicing offered by shops. However it does require some financial outlay but you will be saving a lot in servicing costs. You're going to need to regularly maintain your edges which could be daily if snow was very hard to say fortnightly if there's plenty of soft fresh. You'll need to wax them regularly, usually anything from 4/5 days to a couple of weeks depending on the conditions & how well they've been prepped. It would also be handy for you to be able to make localised base repairs etc.

From a cost point of view the first thing to do is to check whether you have access to vices & an iron at your accommodation as that will save a significant cost. Lets say you only have eight shop services on two pairs of skis @ £20 each which would total £320. You can get an excellent basic tuning kit for under £100 excluding vices & an iron. A vice set & iron would be about another £115 but you'd still be on the right side. For the amount of waxing you're going to be doing I'd recommend getting a pucka waxing iron.

BTW, if you've ordered boots to collect there I assume that you've skied the same make/model/size here so you know they'll be ok?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NomadicBoo, when I bought my own skis at the beginning of my first season in France the shop serviced them as often as I wanted during the season without charging. They did it for the second season as well. It might be worth checking with the shop you're buying them from (if it's based in a resort you'll be staying in) whether they do any deals for those who are there for the season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Right, so me and Mrs NB are heading to NZ for the season in about 1 month! We intend to stay there for atleast 3 months doing nothing but skiing! we have both bought our own skis and boots which we pick up on arrival and these will be set up, serviced and ready to go.

How did you select your boots??????? Get these fitted properly. Nothing can make or break your skiing like boots. I'd pick a wife without trying her before I'd do the same with ski boots. I learned the hard way and am now in a steady relationship with my third pair of boots in a year , The first pair never got past the first date. in a year Twisted Evil Embarassed Sad Shocked Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Exclamation Exclamation Twisted Evil Twisted Evil. Embarassed Sad Shocked Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Exclamation Exclamation Only the good pair involved the services of a good bootfitter.

Learn from the mistakes of others its cheaper and will greatly enhance the enjoyment of your trip..

Anyone wanna buy a shite pair of boots that are 2 sizes too big for me (28.5). Offers Toofy Grin Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the other hand, you might just buy a pair because they were on sale in the summer and wear them for seven seasons without a problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NomadicBoo, I was quite anal about looking after my board before doing a season,however, as the season went on I got progressively less bothered to the point where I wasn't even filling in core shots! If you ride nearly everyday for 3 months you will trash your skis (especially off piste) and most likely the worst damage will be the day after you've spent a couple of hours fixing the last holes!

That said sharp edges are always nice if it's icy, there's nothing quite like riding hard pack on an edge that's spent the last couple of days trying to chop tree roots! So a couple of files, guide and gummistone are useful. As for wax I went from using it every week to every 6 weeks and the difference was hardly noticeable apart from the time I got the base stone ground with structure first: that made it a lot faster.

Most importantly have fun, I got back 3 days ago! It was one of the best things I've ever done and I'm trying to work out how to afford the next one. I'm very jealous!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RPF wrote:
.....I'd pick a wife without trying her before I'd do the same with ski boots.....

Laughing Laughing

swirly, boards seem to be able to go a lot longer between waxings than skis - presumably there's less contact/drag area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, with 19 core shots I definitely had less contact area Laughing

This thread has reminded me to do my edges before giving gorilla his file back!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its funny how folks differ on Waxing and sharpening. I azardoz twice a day and can noting the difference. and wax about every 3 days and can DEFINATELY notice the improvement. I run a diamond edge tool twice a day if its icy and every couple of days if its not

Thing is I'm not the worlds best skier and am not doing anything extrame and yet I can definately feel the difference. And can see it against the people I ski with when I can glide much easier and pole far less on the flat

Personally I would spend the £100 on a basic kt from Spyderjon and would definately recommenend his tuition. That way you can tune as much as you want while away for almost zero cost. Its also very satisfying to do your own tuning
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
On the other hand, you might just buy a pair because they were on sale in the summer and wear them for seven seasons without a problem.

That would be more luck than judgement. The chances of a boot fitting well bought without trying first are minimal. Boots make more difference to your skiing and comfort than any other piece of kit. It's the one thing you really want to get right at whatever cost.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the tips guys. I think, as I will definitely not have access to vices and an iron that I will just use the local store. As I have bought a season pass I get some pretty decent discount offers and I think I'f I leave the servicing for every 4 weeks I should be able to afford it. I will definitely learn about DIN settings though as I do plan on progressing dramtically over the 3 months or so!

As for boots, we've selected the same make and model as least season and they will fit them when we get there. Very excited! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NomadicBoo, For trips I take an edge angle guide, a base angle guide, 3 diamond files, one hard stone and a gummi stone. You can get that whole lot from spyderjon as said above and you can easily do your skis balanced between 2 chairs in 15 - 20 minutes. Do that every week and your edges should stay nice and sharp and never need major filing Cool
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, you will end up not doing it as often as you should. I tend to touch up the main skis I use after a particularly bad thrashing or when the snow conditions changed. You can get by with less gear but the set up below meant I spent a grand total of 20 euros in ski shops over five months. This was mainly on fixing things that will not ever go wrong with your skis. It is a spend now save later kind of situation. You can also drink beer and inhale fumes from the wax/ptex at the same time.

For France this season I took and used:
- brake retainers (critical - but can use a biro or other rigid object if pushed)
- 1 set swix ski vices (spendy but nice to have if you are doing serious edge work)
- 1 side edge file guide - 2 deg (better than the adjustable tools, which IMV are f'n useless)
- 1 Fitzwilliam file
- 1 400 grit diamond file (spendy but get a good one)
- cold snow wax (irrelevant use universal instead)
- warm snow wax (much more useful and noticable in spring conditions)
- brush

I nicked of Swirly
- 1 gummi stone
- ptex candles
- alu oxide stone
- scraper (metal - the plastic ones are less use + you can use the metal one to fix the base)
- brass brush
- wax iron (I have a Morphy Richards travel job, which is not as good but more than adequate - if you go this route then ensure you get one with no steam function and hence no holes in the base)

This is worth a watch but I wouldn't treat my own gear like this: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z240/ColoradoSkiPosse/Ski%20Tech%20Stuff/?action=view&current=qandp.flv

It does, though show how much stuff you really can get away with.
snow report
Note that the board's profanity filter censors b+st+rd file such that what I wrote makes no sense. Is there a less profane term for Fitzwilliam file?
latest report
Quote:

Is there a less profane term for Fitzwilliam file?

Bas*ard File, B*****d File Toofy Grin
latest report
Scarpa, if you ride back to P1 at La Grave a few times I can guarantee you'll want to run a big file over them, nothing like tree roots!
snow report
Quote:

This is worth a watch but I wouldn't treat my own gear like this: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z240/ColoradoSkiPosse/Ski%20Tech%20Stuff/?action=view&current=qandp.flv

Had I known that you could do all the ski servicing in a matter of mins with such 'finesse', that afternoon teaching sesson that Spyderjon gave me could have been spent with the two of us drinking beer! Very Happy

I have been known to be a bit slap dash with some things (not my ski tuning) but I think I'll pass on the "Q & P" approach, thanks all the same rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
RPF, F*tzw*ll*am file or bastard file Little Angel
ski holidays
Swirly, It's the rocks that I worry about... on skis I can usually lift a leg or hop over the roots Laughing
latest report
Fitzwilliam
snow report
Scarpa, how'd you get it to do that Shocked
snow report
Scarpa, rocks just add structure Laughing
latest report
RPF, bold & unbold next to each other in the middle of the word Smile
ski holidays
alex_heney, Or change some letter's font colour from auto to black wink
snow report
Right guys, I bought the wax, a wax scraper, a cheap household iron and a ski sharpening tool for the edges. I waxed the skis, scraped the excess wax off and sharpened the side and base edges as per the instructions. I then went skiing today and my skis were so fast I couldn't control them and had zero grip to the point where I was almost always moving, completely involuntarily Laughing .

So what did I do wrong? Am I supposed to scrape off all of the wax or leave a layer? Also, maybe I am doing the edges wrong? My tool has a 0.5 and a 1 option. What should I be going for? And how do I know when the edges are done? I just ran the tool over the edges until it looked shiny. Not very specific Very Happy .

Cheers NB
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NomadicBoo, It sounds likley that you didn't get the edges sharpened correctly, so they are not biting when you put the skis on edge.

Neither option is likely to be right, depending on your skis - most will be designed for a sharper edge than that (Atomics default to 3 - which I believe means an 87 degree angle between the base and the side). Note also that the file should be taking material off the side edge, not the base, in general. You should only be filing the base when there are significant "dinks" in it.
ski holidays
alex_heney, thanks for the info. I think the problem is that I really don't have a clue what I am doing and likely ruining my skis for good Very Happy . So with the bases facing me I assume I would just run the tool along the edge? Or with the edge facing me? This is all very confusing. If only there was a step by step laymans guide?!?!
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, when you say you have no grip I assume you mean sideways? So yes you could well have very blunt edges, or were you on a more than usually hard piste?

As alex_heney implies, "0.5 and 1" sounds like it's a base-edge tool rather than a side-edge tool. For side I would expect to see numbers like 1,2,3 or 89, 88, 87. 87 (or 3) is quite aggressive, but is what I set my skis to; 88 (or even 90) is more common for intermediate/beginner/general-purpose level skis. Do you have a link/pic to the tool you've got? As you'd expect base guides tend to hold the file flattish against the guiding area, whereas side guides have the file held sort of at right angles to a guiding surface. That guiding surface then runs along the base and holds the file against the side-edge. Make sure that guiding surface is held firmly against the base when you do this to ensure you get a consistent angle - if it wobbles you'll do more harm than good.

You should do the edging before the waxing. And yes, on snow you should scrape all he surface wax off, and then use a stiff brush to brush the wax out of the striations in the structured base. If you keep a perfectly flat surface the ski will actually stick a bit due to surface tension - just like if you put two sheets of glass together with a bit of water between them. (On plastic there's not the same effect so you keep the base as smooth as possible).

For a tuning guide, try here: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/category/5/14/34/
snow conditions
be careful with the iron just heat it enough to melt the wax you are working with and just pass it over the skis until you can just feel the heat on the underside. You might want to invest in a brass brush too. The scraper will get rid of mort of the wax but the brush will clear it out of the base structure.
Also check the type of wax you are using to make sure it is suitable for the snow conditions.
As long as you dont burn the bases you cant do much damage waxing but the edges need a bit more care if you blunt rather than sharpen or change the angle they will behave differently.

I would read through the site GrahamN, posted carefully before you do your next tune. You could also contact Spyderjon and try get a copy of his tuning DVD.
also www.tognar.com has some good guides
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, there's a few "how to" videos on youtube which could explain basics.
snow conditions
The Coombs tune is the real deal - shows how spyderjon has just been trying to have us over wink
snow report
Getting right degree on base edges is much more important then getting right degree on side edge. Pretty much all behavior of skis depends on base edge (there's extremely huge difference between 0 and 0.5 degree on base), while there's not as much of difference between 87 or 85 degrees on side. So for edges, I would suggest you to find someone with a bit of knowledge for beginning. Sure waxing can be easily done at home, but for getting edges right, you need some experience. Next to that, skis should be waxed quite often, while edges need to be done only once in a while (at least for huge majority of skiers).
snow conditions
primoz, I'll be sharpening my side edges about 8 times this week Wink , and I assure you it's very noticeable if they're not that sharp.
snow conditions
8 times a week? No offense but my only comment to this is, I rather go out skiing then spend days in wax room sharpening edges. I had enough of wax rooms when I was serviceman of our WC team. Wink
But seriously... people on WC circuit don't get their skis sharpened 8 times a week. With todays tools, about once a week is more then enough, and a bit of "deburring" after every second training or in worse case, after every training. And this is meant for icy courses, and competitive skiing, not normal skiing on soft courses. My edges are done approximately once a month (half times I do it myself, other half I have luck to just leave skis with one of friends who are still in WC servicemen business), and I spend quite few days mostly on injected racing courses.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
The Coombs tune is the real deal - shows how spyderjon has just been trying to have us over wink

Not just trying, succeeding wink

NomadicBoo, sounds like you're mucking around with the base edge angle which you shouldn't do. Check-out the following for a basic description of how the angles work: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/section/9/47/

Can you make it to Nottingham for a lesson? If not I do a very good dvd.
snow report
OK, so it's not the most typical skiing in the world - racing on plastic. It's very noticeable that grip goes off after a single run - during practice it's OK for about an hour, but in an actual race you need to sharpen before each run. I have two races this week (tomorrow and Sunday, three runs each), and a couple of training/practice sessions.

spyderjon, it may be just a little bit too far out of his way to get to you; AFAIK he's in NZ at present.
ski holidays
spyderjon, I think he's in New Zealand for the season, good as you are I think a trip back is unlikely wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy