Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacial skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Now that the season is really at an end, I was wondering if any Very Happy heads (apart from the racers) book long week ends or ´proper´holidays out on the glaciers, or do you find glacier skiing too boring?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DAB, Thought this thread was about skiing really slowly.

Yep, off to Hintertux in 3 weeks time for 4 days. Never boring and great hotels at low low season prices.

Used to go in July and even August but that's got a lot more hit & miss (mainly miss) over the years.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, hope you have a great time!!!I love the glaciers pesonally, even skied in the bikini and got a WICKED tan last year, better than 2 weeks in the South of France and a lot more beers for my money wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My son and I have been taking a week in LDA in July for the last 4 years, if you can find a lively hotel it's a terrific break.

We have been staying at Hotel La Meije for the last 2 years though it isn't called that during the summer. In 2007 it was called the Sick and Mental Inn and it was mental, then last year it was run very successfully by Chris who owns Smokey Joes. I haven't enquired yet this year but keen to go.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DAB wrote:
Bode Swiller, hope you have a great time!!!I love the glaciers pesonally, even skied in the bikini and got a WICKED tan last year, better than 2 weeks in the South of France and a lot more beers for my money wink

Is this you then DAB??? Shocked Shocked wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OMG!!dont let my OH know my photo is being circulated!Actually cant be me, I always wear a helmet Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Judging by the posture I think she may be too.

John.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
micky, chris is still running it this summer. When in July? Your son might like to join some other british kids for race training? I'm assuming he has a good level.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, He is a good level but he his knees give him trouble from time to time and he wouldn't want the intensity of training every day.

I'm hoping for the second week of July. Nick (my son) finishes uni about mid-May and then I will email Chris.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
micky, cool - drop me a text and we can meet up for a drink if you fancy it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone have an authorative list of alpine summer skiing areas? I can think of a fair handful off the top of my head, but would like to see a definitive list. Preferably on a map. Does such a resource exist anywhere?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from 'Glacier' skiing in Zermatt but in truth you could still ski back to the town and all the way down in to Cervinia with full snow cover. I would definitely do it again.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We run any day arrival 3 day inclusive packages in Tignes for those of us who like to ski in summer too... www.summeractivityholidays.com/Adrenalin_package.html snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm answering my own post here, based on some idle lunchtime googling.

Cervinia
Chamonix/Argentiere
Dachstein
Engelberg
Glacier 3000 (Les Diablerets)
Hintertux
Kaunertal
Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun)
Les 2 Alpes
Molltaler (Flattach)
Pitztal
Saas Fee
(Solden? (Tiefenbach glacier) - looks to now be closed for summer skiing)
Stelvio Pass
Stubai
Stryn (Norway)
Tignes
Val Senales
Val d'Isere? (has a glacier but not sure if open in summer)
Zermatt

I know Cervinia and Zermatt share a glacier but listed separately as they're in different countries.

Edits:
Removed La Plagne on advice
Removed Alpe d'Huez on advice

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 1-04-10 9:31; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, La Plagne glacier is open for tourists but NOT for skiing in the summer.
Val d'Isere has opened for summer skiing but I don't know if it is open this summer.
latest report
Boredsurfing, Ta, removed LP.

Trying to fathom if Passo Tonale opens in summer too. Wish I hadn't started this, like most things I've ever done in life.
snow conditions
paulio, Just found the val d'isere summer site and ....no mention of the Glacier at all Confused
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
paulio, Just found the val d'isere summer site and ....no mention of the Glacier at all Confused

Don't think it did last year and I seem to recall someone saying there was skiing on it for a short period during the summer.
latest report
paulio, I'm pretty sure you can remove Chamonix/Argentiere and Engelberg from your list. Not sure about Dachstein, either. I thought it was only open for xc ski training in the summer.
snow report
paulio, No summer skiing in ADH these days. I think Piztal is open in the autumn rather than the summer but wouldn't swear to it. I thought Les Diablerets was closed too. Ditto Engleberg. I also understood that Stelvio (Bormio) is only open to the italian team. All of this info (except ADH) might not be correct though.
latest report
Quote:

I also understood that Stelvio (Bormio) is only open to the italian team

The people in ski gear there last summer certainly didn't look like Italian team material Shocked
ski holidays
Caspar, good news. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy