Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Starting a Business

Poster: A snowHead
Right, where do I start. I am a ski instructor on a dryslope in East Sussex and I am making skiing my career (both in teaching and selling).
I'm interested in starting a business (only small to start off with) in selling skis, boots, poles, ski clothing etc. (mainly run from a website). I have the facilities to service skis, boards etc.

The only problem is I do not know where to start, how to get hold of the items, who to contact, does anyone have any advice?

Richard
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RS09, try your local council - they wil have pointers to the various business support type organisations. Basically, there is loads of advice out there that you dont need to pay for. Avoid the 'chambers of commerce' and 'guilds of master craftsmen' types as mostly they just want your money...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RS09, suggest you get friendly with a local ski shop who already has accounts with all the major suppliers and is happy to allow you to sub-sell. Otherwise, you are going to have to make a serious committment in stock and probably pay up front initially and, ask any retailer of anything right now, that isn't a comfortable feeling.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RS09, Try www.businesslink.gov.uk it's a free service.
As lampbus, says plus avoid the Federation of Small business as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well there is a shop next door to where I teach called Edge2Edge, I know him fairly well so I might just go and talk to him about it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Richard, welcome to SH snowHead . I think that it will be difficult building a successful business selling ski equipment based on a website. The main (only?) reason for people to buy from a web-only business is competitive pricing. This means that you will have to negotiate big discounts from the suppliers which they are only likely to give if you commit to carrying a large stock.

In my view, your best chance of success would be to focus on offering a face-to-face sales and servicing capability from a suitable retail unit local to your area (assuming there is no local competition.) This would allow you to add the value of your personal knowledge and experience to achieve sales. Note - you would have to train to be (or employ) a good bootfitter Madeye-Smiley !

Sorry to sound so negative, but you did ask for advice. Perhaps someone already in the business will be along soon to help. Good luck.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dont say sorry johnw, all the advice I get helps. Yes I do home someone will help me, I am 17 so I wouldn't mind someone training me to do it professionally, rather than just winging it lol.

Anyone here own a shop and looking to train someone? hehe
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as you've concluded, get yourself a job in a good (INDEPENDENT - pretty important unless you want to join the big boys as a worker rather than develop your own setup, and the big yins are generally shite), learn the business, serve your time and make your contacts. Then strike out in a few years when time is right. Get the phonebook out and start researching the shops - in a resort or near some kind of slope so you can continue to teach. Good luck, wish i'd had a similar idea when i was 17. Seems like retail with a good web offering would be the way to go when you get to that stage
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RS09, You could work like a golf pro. i.e. teach and sell from a rented space at the dry ski slope. Or think of something that's required in the industry that's not yet available, or a gimmick - i.e Buff hats. The key with selling is to tap into a gap in the market.
What about buying s/h skis and reconditioning them? Or become an on-line ski helmet store, but have a good marketing plan.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd agree with barry. I spent a couple of years working for a ski shops group in London (Alpine Sports. Its marketing director became the founder of Snow+Rock). Another former employee of Alpine Sports founded Nevica.

Learn the business from the inside. It's extremely seasonal, so you need a plan for the summers, too!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RS09, http://www.slideuk.co.uk/News_01.html for suppliers in the UK. Have fun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RS09, Make sure you do it well, high quality of product and services. Pitch it right and be prepared to be RADICAL. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are young it might be worth talking to the Princes Trust, I know of another water sports retailer that went this route.

Look at the successful independent retailers and identify what they get right, my guess is knowledge, service and stock.

My guess is that people will travel a long way for a good and trustworthy boot fitter. How about working in a resort to learn these skills?

If you are committed to the retail idea, consider moving to an area where there is a good gap in the market.

Bear in mind that the Ski business is a fashion business working on non-fashion margins ... be very careful not to overstock and develop loyalty with suppliers you can trust.

How about a retail franchise within a complimentary business ... watersports shop, bike shop, swimming pool/garden centre (usually have good parking)?

Hope that this helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RS09, Another vote for the Princes Trust, you will get invaluable help and support from them as well as a lot of advice free that you'd otherwise have to pay for. Ditto Business Link. Getting involved with both of these will also give you access to lots of contacts that will more than likely prove to be invaluable as you get going. They may also have access to cheap funding/grants etc to help you get started. Good luck with it! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RS09, take all your money.. borrow a load more.. work your nuts off.. give most of your hard earned to gordon bown.. spend 85 per cent of your productive time on admin to meet the latest government regs.. then get sued for everything by refusing to employ someone in a wheelchair .. also set aside some more money to fund any of your female staff for getting pregnant, or male staff for having 6 months off to watch their other halfs being pregnant.. once you have done all that spend any other left over money meeting green targets such as using the same teabag 40 times. good luck!!!
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, The voice of reason wink
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, Yeah, you're not far wrong. All said, you really have to be prepared to work hard and not worry about reaping any rewards for a long time.
latest report
Marry a cougar bro. Worked for me. Wink
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy