Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Canada would you ski next winter???

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone recommend a resort/combination of resorts in BC/Alberta for next winter? We like Canada and want to go back!

1. We're likely to go skiing for 2 to 3 weeks from mid Feb,
2. We ski pretty much everything, blues, European reds, blacks, bumps, bit of off piste, bowls and gladed skiing too
3. We're a couple in our 30's - may have a more mixed ability group with us for part of the holiday (all adults)
4. NOT Whistler - (we have been quite a few times before so apart from the Olympics we need a break!)
5. -10 is comfortable, anything colder I would rather avoid (think this puts Banff out!)
6. Need decent acre-age so don't mind resorts within a few hours drive from each other if that's what it takes
7. Need a bit of nightlife!

I like to use these depressingly-sunny-post-winter months to dream and make my plans!

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Farry, mid Feb you can still pick up serious cold in Canada almost everywhere. Apart from that I would make Revelstoke and Kicking Horse places on your wish list. A couple folks here have done road trips recently so you are in luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2. We ski pretty much everything, blues, European reds, blacks, bumps, bit of off piste, bowls and gladed skiing too

Fernie?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Silver Star, Revelstoke, Kicking horse - easy drive between all and a great variety of terrain available at all
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and yep - you'll have to get over the cold thing. -10C and colder is a pretty darn common temperature anywhere in BC/Alberta in mid-Feb. Good gear is your friend.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second Fernie. Could be combined with kicking horse, with stops @ Panorama and / or kimberley if you fancy - and I hear good thing about the resort the other side of the crowsnest pass, is it Castle Mountain?

We did a 2 week roadtrip round fernie, panorama, Kicking horse then banff area. We moved too often, I felt, so a few days in fernie then a few days in another resort would be my recommendation
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Farry wrote:
Anyone recommend a resort/combination of resorts in BC/Alberta for next winter? We like Canada and want to go back!

4. NOT Whistler - (we have been quite a few times before so apart from the Olympics we need a break!)

7. Need a bit of nightlife!

Therein lies your problem, apart from the cold.................

John.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fernie Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Revelstoke, Silver Star & kicking horse sounds interesting. Any hints on what the drive is like?

As for the cold, I find -10 pretty comfortable (in good gear of course). I've skied at -25 and that was just too cold. I guess I'm saying I'd like to avoid the worse of it if I can, but appreciate Canada in Feb is usually fairly cold!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are planning the same and have the same question. Will do Whistler for a week after olympics but thoughts are Red, Kicking Horse, Fernie or......?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Farry, have you been to Canada? It is probably a 'different' cold from the one you are used to. (edit: just read more of your original post, chances are it won't 'feel' as cold as Whistler). Golden-->Revelstoke is all highway and fine if the weather is good, Rogers Pass is subject to closures though. If you are doing Silver Star you might as well split up your time there with Big White too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv - yes I've skied Whistler in -25!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Red is a superb place if you're advanced, or want to be. The tree skiing is amazing. Beware tho, most of the black runs are not marked, and are more like 'recommendations' than runs. To find them, talk to locals, follow tracks - it's great fun. But if you like groomers, I'd pretty much forget it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red is a superb place if you're advanced, or want to be. The tree skiing is amazing. Beware tho, most of the black runs are not marked, and are more like 'recommendations' than runs. To find them, talk to locals, follow tracks - it's great fun. But if you like groomers, I'd pretty much forget it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Farry, Roadtripped last season, hit eight resorts in two weeks Smile

Kicking Horse
Revelstoke
SilverStar
Big White
Red Mountain
WhiteWater
Fernie
Castle Mountain

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin We didnt have any days off skiing and only two longish driving spells of 31/2 and 3 hours, everything else was at the most 1/2 - 2 hours.

Really easy to do, driving was so easy and cheap.We only booked our first and last accommodation before we went the rest we sorted on the road or just turned up.

If you want detailed info drop me a pm, always happy to help Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I would do either a silver star/ big white/sunpeaks combo

OR a Fernie/ Panorama/Kicking Horse combo (maybe Castle for a night or two on the way down to Fernie

OR a Fernie/Whitefish combo
snow conditions
Quote:

I wouldn't. If I felt compelled to put up with all the hassle of going trans Atlantic I'd go to Jackson Hole.
snow report
Canadian dollar is a lot more reasonable than the US dollar though, and there's something to say for the different culture in BC to the USA too Smile
snow report
achilles wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't. If I felt compelled to put up with all the hassle of going trans Atlantic I'd go to Jackson Hole.

Why?
ski holidays
'cos he's been talking to SharkyMark at the EOSB last week Smile

I'd agree with DaveC, I much prefer the overall attitude and lifetsyle of Canadia rather than Merkia
ski holidays
Bones wrote:

Kicking Horse
Revelstoke
SilverStar
Big White
Red Mountain
WhiteWater
Fernie
Castle Mountain

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin We didnt have any days off skiing and only two longish driving spells of 31/2 and 3 hours, everything else was at the most 1/2 - 2 hours.

Really easy to do, driving was so easy and cheap.We only booked our first and last accommodation before we went the rest we sorted on the road or just turned up.

Absolutely the way to do Canada. Forget Whistler (over-hyped, over-priced and it'll be worse in Olympic year), Banff/LL OK but then you need to decide where to stay and schlepp around each day.
latest report
Is it possible to combine Fernie and Revelstoke? How long would it take to drive between the two and what are the road conditions likely to be?

Anyone got any tips for the cheapest most convenient way to get to either resort to start with?
ski holidays
I think it's 3-4hrs ish to Revvy from Fernie, reasonably do-able for sure.
snow report
Farry wrote:
Is it possible to combine Fernie and Revelstoke? How long would it take to drive between the two and what are the road conditions likely to be?

Anyone got any tips for the cheapest most convenient way to get to either resort to start with?

You need a car.

About 3.5 hours drive Fernie to Golden. Stop there, ski KH

Another 1.5 at least over Roger's Pass to Revy plus a time difference (slower if you're crawling behind a plow in a blizzrd, scarier if you overtake the plow)

Easy loop - Calgary - Castle- Fernie - Whitefish, travel/rest day to Red - interesting interior drive & ferry to Revy - KH - Calgary (stopping at LL or SS if you want to slum it with the tourists wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Agree with Fatbob on times and his trip suggestions sound good too. Roger's pass may or may not be in good condition and could take quite a bit longer. Quite a bit of it is quite isolated and all long distance journeys in canada in winter require you to take precautions in case you are marooned (it can be cold at night and it might take a while for someone to get out to you, best to drive in coats in case you run off the road and get knocked unconcious etc). In Feb - I'd want winter tires- so if you hire a car, get a winterised one. Its not just about tread its about having tires that work in the cold.

Roger's pass and the stretch between Golden and Revelstoke is susceptible to winter closures due to avalanches, it gets around 10m a year on steep slopes. It is the highway 1 - transcanada so they do work to keep it open, but its clearly not always possible. The entire highway 1 between LL and revelstoke is quite an interesting drive and you should see plenty of wildlife.
snow report
Bones wrote:

Kicking Horse
Revelstoke
SilverStar
Big White
Red Mountain
WhiteWater
Fernie
Castle Mountain

That's a lot of resorts in 2 weeks, more than you could realistically get to know properly. Personally, I'd narrow it down to 3 resorts for a 2 week road trip. The list of resorts above is spot on I think. Fall-Line magazine did an interior BC tour back in 2006 (Issue 62) taking in Sun Peaks, Silver Star and Big White. For a 3 week trip you could easily tag on Red Mountain or Revelstoke.
snow conditions
agree with uktrailmonster, target 3-4 days minimum at each, then you get chance to explore and vaguely know somewhere. Ideally, book nothing in advance apart from maybe weekends, and follow the storms. That's an exciting way to do it and get the best snow. Getting last minute accommodation in interior BC is rarely an issue
latest report
gortonator wrote:

Red Mtn. is great in terms of skiing but there is no nightlife at all.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cbr7 wrote:

Well that's not entirely true. There are some decent bars and restaurants in Rossland (which is about a mile from the base) and a decent bar/restaurant between rossland and the mountain that I can't remember the name of. Should be fine for a few nights if you are on a bit of a trip, and if you hit the right conditions it is well well worth it. There is however no transport of any really reliable sort (except your own of course) between Rossland and the mountain (or at least when we went there there wasn't) so better off staying in Rossland.
Here's a few more pointers for Red:
-Find/hire/sneakily-follow/etc a guide to show you round to have confidence finding the goods (and not the cliffs!). Note following a locals tracks may lead you somewhere you don't want to be - there are some pretty good/crazy locals!! Shocked
-Go Cat skiing with Big Red Cats
-Don't fly into Castlegar unless you want to spend loads of time wondering if you are going to get there, then loads of time wondering if you'll ever get out again. snowHead
snow report
stuarth wrote:
cbr7 wrote:

Well that's not entirely true. There are some decent bars and restaurants in Rossland (which is about a mile from the base) and a decent bar/restaurant between rossland and the mountain that I can't remember the name of. Should be fine for a few nights if you are on a bit of a trip, and if you hit the right conditions it is well well worth it. There is however no transport of any really reliable sort (except your own of course) between Rossland and the mountain (or at least when we went there there wasn't) so better off staying in Rossland.
Here's a few more pointers for Red:
-Find/hire/sneakily-follow/etc a guide to show you round to have confidence finding the goods (and not the cliffs!). Note following a locals tracks may lead you somewhere you don't want to be - there are some pretty good/crazy locals!! Shocked
-Go Cat skiing with Big Red Cats
-Don't fly into Castlegar unless you want to spend loads of time wondering if you are going to get there, then loads of time wondering if you'll ever get out again. snowHead

hey stuarth, but it is not the nightlife like usual one in the resorts with discos, parties etc. that was my message:)
Anyway the mountain is great, and has empty runs (even in veekends)
Spent almost 3 months there...
snow conditions
Has everyone flown direct into Calgary and picked a car up?

Anyone else with any itineraries they care to share?
latest report
stuarth, the Rock Cut - it's a good bar about 5 min walk from base of Red. In last two years a couple of decent places have appeared to eat at the base too. It's improving. Just get a cab to town, cost little, and there are a couple of good bars down there too, and nice places to eat. It;s small, but fun.
snow report
Farry wrote:
Has everyone flown direct into Calgary and picked a car up?

Anyone else with any itineraries they care to share?

We did for our trip this year - nothing easier. Headed straight out to Banff, stopped for as couple of hours then on to Golden to ski Kicking Horse. Calgary to Golden is 3 hrs drive.

We also flew out of Calgary which is why we did the circular route we took. We could have spent a little more time in some resorts but also some of them are really quite small so not really worthy of more time. We wanted to see a number of resorts and varied ones too. We had certain objectives this year hence the number of resorts. Managed to not miss a day skiing - s some people doing a similar trip took travelling days off Shocked

Next time there are places we would miss out and places we would stay longer/ shorter. Also we skied Kicking Horse and Revelstoke last year too and had not problem finding our way around those two which cut down on the 'learning' time. Toofy Grin

Would deffo recomend hiring a 4x4 to do a trip as we did hit some adverse road conditions in places - but then we did have some great ski conditions too - fresh powder at all but one resort, our first Very Happy Every day was either fresh powder or the day after fresh powder and blue skies Madeye-Smiley.

It was a little tiring at times, deffinately not really cheap but well worth it, and will be doing it again sometime wink there are some amazing little gems of resorts out there, which offer a totally different skiing experience.

If you do plan a trip of this kind and think about Revelstoke it might be advisable to pre book accommodation especially if staying over a weekend - last year at peak times people were having to stay in the next town and drive in Shocked about an hour away Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy