Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basel Airport/SBB Station

Poster: A snowHead
I arrive late evening on Thursday and my train isn't until 6am the following day, anyone have any ideas for the best plan of action? 40 winks in the airport then early transport to station OR straight to station in the evening and some rest there?

Cheers...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Basel SBB alot . The station is open & the concourse is not warm plus you get the usual swiss drug addicts.

I would stay/crashout at the airport
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks stanton, I just assumed Switzerland didn't have drug addicts Madeye-Smiley

Is Basel airport pretty small and straight forward (and cool with me catching a snooze)? I need to make the IC955 at 6.01am from platform 9, any idea about transfers/taxis from the airport at this time in the morning?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some airports close overnight, Salzburg for one, Treviso for two
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of space in Basle airport but don't know if they kick you out as last departing flight around 10pm. Bus quick & easy to the bahnhof about 20-30 mins
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[Edit]. Ooops. I have deleted original post - I had a senior moment and was thinking of Berne airport.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 29-04-09 8:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv,

I have had to crash twice at Basel Banhof and I was well wrapped up both times fortunately. There are enough people around through the night ...and in the same boat..it seems, so it was ok. Fortunately I can cat-nap anywhere so I would prefer to know I could get to the Banhof in time.

It is 10-15 mins by taxi..and not so cheap, IIRC, or 15 mins by bus and a couple of francs, if the bus is running at that time. If the bus was an option, I would stay at the airport if I could but wouldn't worry too much if I had to stay at the station...

There is a large waiting room which is warm-ish...if people keep the door shut.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone.

JT, I assume the waiting room is open through the night? That is ideal.. I was just checking trip advisor for a hotel but I would love to avoid it for the sake of 6 hours or something, red bull and an economics text book should see me through!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv, sorry about muy post above - I mixed Basel and Berne up in my head. Another senior moment. Must try to stop posting when I am tired.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv,

It was both times I was there.....

I found it at the end of the long corridor/concourse but can't recall the platform it was opposite. Most people found it by the amount of door banging there was going on around 0400-0500.

If I could, I would take a room near the station, but then again, 6 hrs...don't think you'd be much worse off kiiping on the waiting room bench.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, no worries!

JT, I didn't read 'door' in your post until the third time of reading Laughing Thanks very much for your response, a room either end of my stay in a hotel would set me back nearly £100 a night so would like to avoid putting £200 on what is already an expensive last blast.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have defo used the waiting room all night but there is nio mention of it here....the last was maybe 2 plus years ago

http://www.raileurope.ca/canada/train_stations/basel.htm

maybe a more recent user can confirm whether open all night. As Stanton says, they may be tempted to close it if they have too many drug users.

I do recall quite a few police/secuirty peeps around which was great as far as I was concerned.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seems to be quite resonable place to sleep in the airport !!

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/search.asp?SearchTerm=basel&action=Review+Search

PS this is a great website for anyone who needs to sleep in other airports...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arv, just make sure you go to Basle SBB there are technically 3 Basle Stations SBB is the main one SNCF is attached to it but on teh other side of the French Border and is in general dirtier than the Swiss Side, BBB is the other side of town at the German border, Last bus from the airport is usually just before midnight, first bus is arround 5 or 5.30 am.

If you are intrested Basle has hotspot internet access but you need to pay for it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hire a car?
snow report
Decisions, decisions! I guess I will just play it by ear when I arrive knowing transfers are open at any times and I can get transfers after my flight or before my train. D G Orf, I noticed that, thanks for the clarification though! I assume I will be OK without taking any Euros (just CHF)..

kitenski, going to Zermatt, train seemed most straight forward. Can't rent a car when you are 19.
ski holidays
arv, yep you are in Switzerland once you have passed through passport control and therefore only need CHF, I've not been to the airport but I suspect it will be better and warmer there than in the station which I've been through on many occasions
snow report
D G Orf, awesome, thanks!

Thanks again everyone^^^^

Isn't there an airports thread some of this info could be added on to?
ski holidays
When I posted the thread I mailed the airport too, I received this response:

Quote:
Dear Mr. (arv),

Thank you for your mail.

The building of the airport is open 24 hours, so there is no problem to stay overnight.

With kindest regards, we remain, sincerely yours,
EUROAIRPORT BASEL MULHOUSE FREIBURG
Airport Service Center / Service Accueil
Tel : +33 3 89 90 25 11/ +41 61 325 25 11
Fax : +33 3 89 90 35 15/ +41 61 325 35 15
E-mail : information@euroairport.com
ski holidays
arv, That was nice of them
snow report
The Bus from EuroAirport (Basel,Freiburg, Mulhouse) to Basel SBB ( Line 50 ) runs like clockwork every 20 minutes. I think its 3.80Ch/Fr single. (Cant remember as I by a ticket through to Bern)

http://www.efa-bvb.ch/bvbfahrplan/jahresfp/l50/ah_02050C_n09_A_00007.pdf

Euroairport
http://www.euroairport.com/

Its a modern small regional airport. Can be busy at the security control on return especially Friday afternoon.

Swiss Drug addicts. Unfortunately Switzerland has a huge problem & you will see large groups of them at all the Main Stations snorting, blowing Coke, Smack Heroin.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy