Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you pack?

Poster: A snowHead
As a pointer to first timers, I thought that this would be an educational thread on the bear minnimum needed to go for your first slide.
As a first timer myself this year, I found myself in a bit of a dilema as to what was necessary and what I would like (but not need as such).

My definitive list was as follows.

Ski clothing:
1 x Ski Jacket
1 x Ski Pants
6 x t-shirts / long sleeve shirts
6 pairs ski socks
1 x Goggles
1 x sunglasses
1 pair gloves
1 x hat wooly
1 x peaked cap (for really sunny days)
1 pair long johns

non skiing wear:
1 x pulling jacket
1 x scarf
2 x Shirts
2 x jumper
2 x jeans
7 x socks
1 pair woolen gloves
7 x unmentionables
1 pair Hiking boots
1 x swimming shorts

Sunderies:
Mobile phone & charger
blister plasters
razor / deoderant etc
Towel
Camera
Big book
Contacts
Spare Glasses

I think that's it Shocked
In total about 15kgs

A number of items crossed the boundries. The t-shirts were worn in the evening and then again for skiing the following day as they were going to be smelly within 1/2 hr anyway.
The reason I had a number of 2s was that eurpoeans smoke a lot, so if you go out in the evening, you can let one jumper / jeans de-smoke and wear the other one the following day.
One of the best purchases I made when I got there was a bottle of fabreeze to keep the wiff down in the apartment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Bear minimum' reminds me of 'bear necessity'.

A Swiss Army knife is a bear necessity, if you want to tweak your ski bindings etc. A lttle block of ski wax is great for rubbing on, if there's been new (esp. wet) snow overnight.

What about a fleece?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As it's a 'first slide' I'll let you off, otherwise your own ski-boots would be essential for most people.

Do snowboarders have to be as fussy with boots as skiers? I've tried twice & got away with hired boarding boots whereas I would never hire ski boots again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I wouldn't wear ordinary t-shirts - likely to be cotton and very quick to become sodden...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always wear thermals as a base layer when skiing - yes even on nice warm suuny days Very Happy with a thin fleece on top. Jacket on top and that's me! I'm afraid I do take 2 jackets & ski pants - one for heavy weather Shocked one for light Very Happy . Oh and a couple of body warmers - got a really nice North Face one this year Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Too many ski socks, normal socks and t-shirts IMHO. If you invest in one or two wicking tops ( I use Lower Alpine) then you won't need so many t-shirts. The wicking tops are very light, comfortable and warm. You can wash (rinse) them in the shower in the eveing and be dry and ready to wear the next day. Similarly with socks I take just two pairs rinse the pair I wore in the evening and it will be dry for the morning after next. Normal socks can be worn a couple of days running as you are not wearing them for long. I understand your comments on clothes and smoke but being an old fogey now I enjoy apres ski so no need to change then have a good dinner in the chalet and don't move again so pulling jeckets etc are surplus to requirements - 2 year old daughter and wife also suggests such items would not be useful. I also have to carry their stuff so I travel lighter every year.

Don't forget
Sun tan cream
After sun
walkie talkies
marmite
ruck sack
duty free
passport photo
passport
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do agree that cotton may not have been ideal, but again as it was my first time, I thought that the more expensive wicking ski under garments were a bit too much. I may have hated it then they would be wasted somewhat.
And I don't think first timers tweaking their bindings is generally encouraged - good way to do damage I'm lead to believe, anyway that's what the ski nstructor is for snowHead .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pete, interesting comment on Boots. I would never hire boarding boots - too soft, too worn, too much heel lift but was fine hiring ski boots. I suspect the better you get the mor elikley you are too find fault in the equipment or rather need it to perform better. I assume you ski better than you board - I'm certainly a better boarder than skier.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We didn't hate it by the way, we are only back and are trying to plan next winter already. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On my second season now, and have got my list to my minimum. Ski jacket and sallies. Ski boots, 3 pair ski socks, 3 thermal base layer long sleeve shirts, 2 fleece. Sunnies, goggles and hat, plus the bits in ashtons reply. For the evening, I pair of jeans, and a few T-shirts. The whole lot fits in a med size ruck sack, plus the boot bag. I wear the ski jacket and a fleece. Travel light ? I'm trying.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pleased to hear it Brian snowHead Before you know it you'll be looking at last minute cheapies for Easter Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Worn for journey
===========

1 x Fleece jacket
1 x Jeans
1 x T-shirt
1 x Mid-weight Fleece jumper
1 x Underwear & socks
1 x Boots
1 x thin fleece gloves

Packed
====

Ski clothing:
1 x Ski Jacket (relatively thin & light, packs down pretty well).
1 x Ski Pants
3 x t-shirts / long sleeve shirts (wicking material)
2 pairs ski socks
1 x Goggles
1 x sunglasses
1 pair gloves
1 x hat wooly
1 x balaclava/hat
2 x baselayer/midlayer tops
1 x ski boots (yes in my rucksack)

non skiing wear:
1 x Shirts
3 x t-shirts
1 x jeans
5 x socks
5 x underpants/boxer shorts
1 x swimming shorts
1 x fleece trousers (to wear around the apartment)

Sunderies:
Mobile phone & charger
Digital camera and spare battery
first aid kit - including headache, stomach tablets and decongestants.
3 x disp razors (use shampoo for soap)
Toothbrush & toothpaste
1 x smallish bottle shampoo
travel/expedition Towel
Book
suntan lotion
hand & boot warmers

Rucksack (including hand luggage) came in at 14.5kg including boots which are about 4kg of that.

We went DIY to Switzerland in an apartment and stayed in Zurich for a night at the beginning and again at the end of the week. If we had been in a hotel or journeyed differently, this list would have been slightly different (e.g. I wouldn't bother with the first aid kit in a hotel).

Travel towels - they take up the space and less weight than a paperback. Not always needed but often useful. Not taken it when hotelling, but once wished I had (dropped my hotel towel in the bath).

Found that the ski-socks could be rinsed each evening and the other pair worn the next day. Underwear & socks can be done similarly (though for the minor weight the saving it wasn't worth the effort, I'd probably take the full amount next time). Wicking t-shirts tend to dry very quickly (so can be rinsed out and dried in an hour or so) and some even have anti-whiff treatment, hence the reduced need for more. I take either one short and two long-sleeved or vice versa depending on the time of year I go. The base/midlayer tops for skiing also made good jumpers (one light one medium) for the evenings giving me three in total.

The fleece gloves fitted inside my ski gloves for cold days.

Sorry - added new posts instead of editing below. Will edit some of that into this, now.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 2-03-04 18:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, Seconded on the Swiss Army knife. It's the most useful and most used thing I carry in my pockets. One of those dab-it-on waxers is quite handy, although it shouldn't replace the real thing - it does dry out the base if it's all you use.

Lip balm is vital, strong uv cream as well especially for the kids, the ones you can get that hang around the neck are easy to use and hard to lose.

If you're taking kids, one of those woolly neck things that you can pull up over the bottom half of the face for really cold weather, better than face masks which kids find uncomfortable and often 'misplace'.

The two-way radios are excellent for groups - you pay a premium to use your mobile abroad otherwise. Kids have no problem using them, and it's given me peace of mind at times when a large family has been milling around all over the place, there's always one or two you can't spot.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, what sort of coverage do you get with 2-way radios? I always reckoned that you had to be fairly close to each other so have never bothered. Do you have to be in the same valley?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like it took so long to write mine that people beat me to some of the things I suggested Very Happy

Wicking t-shirts are fine in everyday use as well, so they wouldn't have been wasted - they are also good for the gym, or any time you're going to do anything vaguely exertive in warm weather as well. Also, even the cheap ones (yes, even the Peter Storm Millets ones) work better then cotton.

I forgot lip balm, but I have the suntan cream that has it in the lid.

You can get balaclavas that will double up as a neck-warmer, hat, or lower face protector. That's what mine's like (and my hat will go over the top, too when it's very cold).

I also think that you don't need a separate "pulling" jacket in a ski resort. Not because you may not be out on the pull, but that no-one bats an eye-lid at them in those places. Also, you can get good jeckets for skiing that are fine on a normal high-street. Use layers for extra warmth when it's cold and you can use virtually any waterproof/windproof jacket (obviously some work better than others depending on the design).
snow conditions
Cathy Coins, Line of sight is key - in the right conditions you can talk to someone a couple of miles away. But with obstacles that can be greatly reduced. It's not for people wanting guaranteed contact from one side of the domain to the other, just to maintain contact when you're skiing roughly the same part of the ski area....
ski holidays
Always take asprin & ibuprofren for head aches, aiding sleep and for hangovers.
ski holidays
Plus imodium, and alka-seltzer. Also, I always take decongestants with me now, after one year having blocked tubes that took an age to pop. Decongestants will do the job.

I know you can buy that stuff in the resort (normally), but having even a couple of blisters with you means you don't have to find a chemist that's open, etc. etc.
snow conditions
A "Buff" is essential. Can be used to keep neck and face warm when cold, acts as a good barrier if you have a fleecy neckwarmer (which I personally find uncomfortable against my skin) if really cold. Can also be used as headscarf, cool hat-type thing and hairband. No, I'm not getting commission, I just find them very handy.
Swiss army knife very useful for opening beer bottles Very Happy
Daily disposable contact lenses an absolute must if eyesight is a problem and you normally wear glasses.
Also pack large grin for frequent use.
ski holidays
For some strange reason, my wife dosn't like it when I call it my pulling jacket - don't understand it really. Confused
But anyway I digress. The reason I bring the 'pulling' jacket is because the ski jacket gets a bit grubby and smelly towards the end of the week and if I wear the ski jacket out, all I can smell is smoke for the 1st hour the next morning.
latest report
Flip flops (the ones without the toe thong)! No, don't laugh. They're ideal for going to the boot room to collect your boots. Quick and easy to get on or off. No trailing laces which always get wet and dirty on the boot room floor. No worries about leaving them in the boot room all day as they're worth all of 3 quid. And you can wear them all the time in the chalet, which are, in my experience, always too hot for trainers:!:
snow report
Wear :
ski jacket
fleece
thick jumper
shirt
walking boots
+the usual

Pack :
skiboots
socks 5+prs
dryflo's/thermals : 5+
thermal trousers 4
ski trousers
hat
gloves
goggles
washkit
facecream/sunbock/lipstuff
neurofen
shirt
jeans
sundries eg phone charger/adapter; guide; pants etc

total weigh in : 14kgs inc handluggage, which often stuff into top of ruksac for ease of carriage.

All of that lot, inc. boots and hand luggage, fits easily in a 70lt rucksac. If you put the boots in the bottom and pack it right, it'll stand up without support, too.

And skis, of course Wink

Some things, like towels, are not worth taking because of the bulk - much easier to get the apartment provider to, er, provide them.
snow report
Brian Barrett wrote:
For some strange reason, my wife dosn't like it when I call it my pulling jacket - don't understand it really. Confused

Laughing

Brian Barrett wrote:
But anyway I digress. The reason I bring the 'pulling' jacket is because the ski jacket gets a bit grubby and smelly towards the end of the week and if I wear the ski jacket out, all I can smell is smoke for the 1st hour the next morning.

Take your point on the second part, but I've only ever found jumpers and stuff to smell of smoke. Never noticed my jacket doing so. You could try hanging it somewhere airy overnight? My fleece jacket doubled as second jacket anyway and was usable skiing in warmer weather (it also fits under and over my ski jacket for extremes).

I always wear my big grin during the week. It's good to rinse it in the bar every evening though.
ski holidays
A rucksack with loads of pockets can be really handy on the slopes. Not only can you stick loads of necessities in them, I often take a good pair of 'waterproof' trainers with me, change into the boots at the last minute, and stick the trainers in the rucksack. Lunchtime if you stop at a restaurant, it's great to be able remove the boots and wear some comfy shoes for a while. And if you've got a long trip/walk back to the apartment, what a relief to be able to take them off again, sling your boots over your shoulder, and stride past all the others, who are clonking along in agony Smile Smile
latest report
More essentials:
1. Dairy Milk Chocolate: my kids don't like the "foreign" stuff, and chocolate essential for treatment of crashes, lifts stopped half-way up in blizzards, and just nice with coffee.
2. Spare gloves, goggles and glasses: these are always in my backpack: they don't call me Mr Fussy for nothing.
3. Bottle opener - best combined with swiss army knife (agree with DG and PG)
latest report
Dont forget to put swiss army knife in your suitcases, not your handluggage.......

Fx I work at the airport!
snow report
Fruity, which airport? My girlfriend works at Glasgow...
latest report
I pack two pairs of Y-fronts, you never know when you might need two pairs in one week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always take two pairs of ski gloves. You can always take a spare pair on the slopes with you in case the others get snowy (on the inside, obviously) or wet during lunch. Also take lots of sandwich bags - they're invaluable for all manner of things! (including keeping the spare pair of gloves in).
latest report
lol at DB Laughing

can't add anything really. wicking tops are great, very versatile and can be worn for running and hiking at home too.

I like fresh clothes for each evening and a seperate jacket. had a meal last year that you cooked yourself on a hot plate, next day goretex smelt like a greasy spoon cafe .....nice. spesh if you feel a little tender.

who's still got moon/yeti boots....come on own up. bet DG's got some.
ski holidays
ian bloomfield wrote:
I like fresh clothes for each evening and a seperate jacket. had a meal last year that you cooked yourself on a hot plate, next day goretex smelt like a greasy spoon cafe .....nice. spesh if you feel a little tender.

Why do you think I planned ahead and bought an orange jacket? At least the carrots don't show up (and we all know there are always carrots!
latest report
Orange ski gear is soooo last century daarling.

I've got orange (and I mean orange) ski boots which always get a chuckle, they cost a packet tho and i'm not changing them. Buddies can pick you out tho.

Whats your thing with orange then.
latest report
masopa, Same here! Trouble is kids won't been seen anywhere within 100 yards of me if I wear it, an HD jacket that cost a fortune years back. So it's the drab cheapo one now.

And don't you find you have to give the draglift pylons a wide berth first thing in the morning? Nothing worse that black oil on a bright orange jacket....
latest report
ian bloomfield, Dunno really - it just happened. Started off with my orange Technica Icon boots, then I ended up with a bargain Tog-24 shell - only colour available was orange. When I decided to get new sallies and jacket, I saw some tasty Killy numbers in - you've guessed it - orange!

Finished it off with my red skis and flame beanie... there's no missing me on the slopes!!
snow report
Ian, the poor guy has been tangoed:
http://www.tango.co.uk/tango/index
He could well be beyond hope.
snow conditions
Masopa, you forgot the hair:
http://www.upforit-site.co.uk/graphics_nov27_2k/DSCF0126-pp.JPG
ski holidays
I shall get the wig before I go off in two weeks!

PG - let's make sure we don't end up at the same resort though, otherwise our other halves will get confused (she never sees anyone else in such a getup, so always presumes it's me if she sees someone in orange).
ski holidays
You call that a list!?!?!?!

Ha! I laugh at your so called neccessities

where are the hairdryers
the plug adaptor things?
Hair straightners?
Sandwich Toaster?
stereo?
Skiing Knickers and going out knickers!
Make up,
hair serum,
supernoodles,
kitkats,
teabags- proper tetley ones not that french fag ash in a bag,
disposable camera
Timberlands
Going out boots
sexy yet unankle breaking shoes
going out tops
going out coat
going out jeans
sun cream
hair protector
pop tarts
curling tongs
tissues
wet wipes
facial exfoliator
body scrub
body moisturiser
facial moisturiser
Ski jacket and salopettes
ski tshirts
Skiing sunglasses
posing sunglasses
bras
lil pretty vests( you never know who'll have to cut your clothes off when youve broken your arm)
swim stuff
Camel pak bag thing
2 x handbags
5 x tacky magazines
Washbag stuff

think ive got most of it there!

I could go on but id be here for hours

estimated weight 25kg+

Money spent on getting flatmate to DHL me something ive forgotten and desperately need - £25-30
snow conditions
So that's what you girls cram into your bags. Just what is "hair serum"?
snow report
our packing varies from the very light (when we did a weekend to Sauze all by public transpot - 7 changes - ridiculous! but great fun)
to the downright OTT - we had a week in Serre Chevalier pre Christmas - and knowing that it would be pretty quiet coz it was pre-season - we actually took a TV and video with us.. Does anyone else do that or have I confirmed I am totally bonkers? (I hasten to point out we were driving - not flying!)

Seriously worried about the ski sock situation. We started like some on this thread - taking a fresh pair for each day... but the number of pairs has reduced each time... And WASHING socks on a ski holiday?? - just dont ski near me
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy