Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This July ski/summersports event in Tignes begs a question ... or two

Poster: A snowHead
In July, Natives and the SCGB are hosting the Natives Summer Weekender Industry Championships:

http://www.ifyouski.com/news/newsarticle/?ObjectID=8719516

Quote:
The weekend combines all the best bits of time spent in the Alps. It's a chance to get on the snow in the summer and experience racing on the glacier in a friendly environment, take part in the exhilarating water jump into the lake or spend time kicking back in the sun with a beer and friends. Plus, thanks to the complementary Sportignes card, a host of other sports such as volleyball, mountain biking, horse riding, golf, tennis and swimming, are all available free of charge.

That all sounds a load of fun and very worthwhile. And if you're in the 'snowsports industry' you're invited. If you're not, you're not:

Quote:
Open to anyone working in the snowsports industry, the weekend's a great opportunity for networking and team bonding, but it's also laidback and relaxed and a great reminder of why we all work in snowsports.

So, an event sponsored by the Ski Club isn't open to its own members ... well, at least the vast majority of them. This seems a bit bizarre.

Call me old-fashioned, but I see the Club as a non-industry body which essentially represents and caters for its members - those who ski but don't necessarily work for skiers. Natives, in contrast, supports and represents the working classes of skiing.

What's in it for members of the Ski Club? Are Ski Club employees going?

Are you going?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I have no wish whatsoever to attend the event, and as I don't belong to the SCGB, I don't care what it gets up to. If it bugs you, and you are still a member, why not take it up with a member of the Council? Can't see that it's any of our business.

David Goldsmith wrote:
......Call me old-fashioned...

Certainly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, OK. Keep your hair on.

I'm just making some social/snocial observations here. Presumably this website is still frequented by SCGB and Natives members/users, so it's remotely possible that the topic's of interest.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Are you going?

Who cares, unless you fall into one of those groups?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, Have you asked the question in the SCGB chat forum?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, not a member but think if it is supposedly a community ..or sets out its stall as such, as other groups do, then it seems stupid to have sections that are excluded. I doubt they are alone in this, however, and lots of clubs get very cliquey quickly enough and self-serving.

A pretty tacky tactic on the face of it... but then all I know of that club and its set-up is what is in the above post. Why would you want to be a part of a
group like that..you are either included in things or you aren't....??

You can always make your feelings known when they come round asking for money.... Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
David Goldsmith, Have you asked the question in the SCGB chat forum?

No I haven't. Maybe someone could raise it on my behalf, as I am currently disabled.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DG
Quote:
So, an event sponsored by the Ski Club isn't open to its own members ... well, at least the vast majority of them. This seems a bit bizarre.

RBS sponsor sporting events for promotional reasons ... they dont invite all their account holders to turn up for free. Not 'Bizarre' at all.

Quote:

Posting that on here without addressing it to the body themselves now that WOULD be bizarre.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre wrote:

RBS sponsor sporting events for promotional reasons ... they dont invite all their account holders to turn up for free. Not 'Bizarre' at all.

That's right. Fred the Shred shafted his account holders with profligate sponsorship activities that partly contributed to the bank's downfall, and then ran off with a load of loot. Not sure that you've picked a golden example of sponsorship activity there.

Agenterre wrote:

Quote:

Posting that on here without addressing it to the body themselves now that WOULD be bizarre.

Not really. We're aware that members and employees of the Ski Club use snowHeads.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, are you my sock-puppet? I see your signature exactly defines me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's clearly a jolly (and why not?) and I can't see what commercial benefit there is. So, yes, if I were a member, I think I'd be intrigued to know what the whole jackanory is, what it was costing, was it respectful to the mountain, what was the projected outcome? David Goldsmith, I think you should call an EGM immediately.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nothing jolly about it from my point of view, but I'm jolly interested to know if you're going, Swiller.

Does it offer the kind of athletic challenge you're looking for?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, no I'm jolly well not going and I'm jolly well struggling to find the athletic challenge or the jolly commercial angle. As a non-member I'm outraged and grateful to you for bringing this scandal to everyone's attention.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't care frankly!

Will shortly be leaving the South of England Ski Club, as it ought to be called IMHO - joined primarily for the discounts and have discovered even they were a waste of time if you shop round the net. I'm not a clubbable type (too awkward) and am not interested in any of their social activities or, heaven forbid, going on a holiday with them Shocked

I also ski on UK mountains (Scotland) as well as elsewhere in the world, a fact that appears to bring derision from many in that club, at least the ones who post on their forum (not that that's very many!) - sad really! rolling eyes

As others have said, if it's an issue bring it up with their council members or whoever.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The trends are interesting. 35 years ago the Ski Club had a big programme of grass-skiing events that toured the country in summer, with portable lifts and equipment hire. These events catered for members and the general public.

The event in Tignes, above, excludes members and the general public.

Essentially, national clubs need to focus on the common denominator and the overall interests of members. This becomes all the more necessary when a club is commercially pitched with a mission statement as 'the spokesbody of British skiers'. In that sense, the interests of the general skiing public need to be upheld by the SCGB as well, I'd have thought.

[NB - technical point - a spokesbody is not a bicycle wheel]

rob@rar clearly has his finger on the pulse of what skiers want to do in summer - cool off in a snowdome. Not a bad idea, and only £25.
ski holidays
The Ski Club co-sponsors many events with Natives. This one has not been kept from members, it's on the website in the list of events.
ski holidays
That's correct, Colin, but you don't mention that the first line of the copy is ...
Quote:
Do you work in the ski industry and long for the mountains in the off-season?

Certainly it's being dangled in front of members ... with the proviso that members must (in general) make a career move to join in.
snow report
would someone please start a helmet debate
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, the club is completely irrelevant to grassroots skiing in the UK, both at domes, dry slopes and in the mountains (be they N of England or Scotland).

Essentially it's a commercial organisation based in London and drawing most of it's membership from the south of England. It primarily operates in the Alps (guides/reps) and offers it's members expensive holidays with like minded clubbable types. It publishes a magazine that can be bought by non members which is mostly filled up with advertorial, it organises social events in London and runs a website that's not as good as this one.

The corollary is I don't care whether they sponsor events or not.

Anything to add?
snow report
Bode Swiller, more into boots in hand luggage myself. You could start one on 'green' cars, though.
snow report
achilles, oh behave. Do they still have the Saaaaab? (akin to sound of baby lamb being slaughtered)
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, dunno, actually. There's something young Dave can also find out - and give us a un-bleatable, mint-fresh exclusive.
ski holidays
roga, I liked your neat reference to grassroots skiing, after my mention of grass-skiing.

I wouldn't necessarily define dry slope-skiing, dome-skiing and Scottish/Pennines skiing as the 'grassroots'. They have to be embraced by a national skiers' organisation, while also recognising that (probably) the majority of skiers just go on holiday abroad without skiing either of these locations. They are also 'grassroots skiers'.

The common denominators have to be recognised across the board, and the key statistic is the membership number relative to the total number of UK skiers. I think the current percentage is about 3%.

I think the key challenge (for either the SCGB or snowHeads or anyone else seeking to operate in this field) is to grab people when they're young by offering (if necessary) cheap relevant services. As their disposable income increases they may, of course, want more up-market services.

You mention magazines. Definitely a common denominator. Relevant journalism can appeal to any level of skier of any age group and income bracket. So publishing relevant stuff is a key factor.

Back to the Tignes event. Given the fact that this ski village has a huge number of unused beds in summer but has a lot to offer, maybe the kind of Natives event promoted could take in any skiers, not just workers. I've done summer skiing there, in Hintertux, Kaprun, Stubai, Zermatt etc. and it can be a blast with the right mix of activities and entertainment. The point is that it can be priced very competitively, because the accommodation is going begging.
ski holidays
Anyone who is, has or is thinking of doing a season can become part of the Natives community - so anyone can go on this trip. Just the age group issue may bother some here...
snow report
Quote:
They have to be embraced by a national skiers' organisation

Why do they have to be embraced? Is it for the skier's benefit or for the benefit of the SCGB? I have skied with some fantastic skiers in my time, including several world cup/olympic competitors, some top-notch park and freeride skiers and some who have gone on to become ISTDs/Carte Pro holders. None of them were members of the SCGB. Hardly seems to have dented their skiing experience.

We have a number of recognised national governing bodies with overall responsibility for the sport, Snowsport England/Snowsport GB for example. Where do they fit in with your 'national skier's association'? Where does Snowheads fit in? Is the SCGB a 'national organisation' or a distributed ski club like Snowheads?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy