Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TRIP REPORT EoSB "Lac du Lou"

Poster: A snowHead
TRIP REPORT EoSB “Lac du Lou” ... April 24, 2009

The EoSB overall was too fantastic for my mere vocabulary, but I am signing up for an 8 week ‘Diction Inspiration’ correspondence course to give it some scribe justice later ... Toofy Grin

In the meantime, our last Trip Report of the week appears first, partly because it was such a great day and the epitome of what snowHeads & the EoSB is all about and secondly because I enjoyed every minute of it – we laughed and we laughed, when crying might well have been the order of the day Laughing We didn’t have champagne powder, though Champagne did figure in our noble undertakings later ... NehNeh .. we did have an unspeakably fine foray into the most wonderful breakable crust and utterly delightful tracked and well iced snow .. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Fortified in Apartment X, post dinner last night with wee drams of ‘The Green’ which of course served to remind me & in turn me remind everybody else of my nation’s latest & greatest Rugby triumph, that recent, that prestigious, that gargantuan accolade of being Grand Slam Champions .... Laughing .. Today, Lac du Lou was the object of our desires and after partaking of a splendid & leisurely breakfast of ‘Curates’ egg and soldiers Very Happy (No rushing to get out before sunrise today, as we needed mother Sun to strut her stuff and thaw out the frozen wastes of Lac du Lou, before our skis graced it with our presences), we assembled in front of our 4* lodgings .. snowHead

What a grouping of esteemed snowHeads ..., and a large grouping, so I trust I will be forgiven, if I mention only the gorgeous girls, .... homphomp, Michelle RachelQ and Sam .... Laughing

We set off from Val Thorens for Cime de Caron and then descend to our chosen entry point to Lac du Lou, which we do from the back of the ridge at about 2980m.

... and down to what I call, ‘Le Deux Dents Mauvaise’ and its most beautiful backdrop ... snowHead

Further along the ridge ...

Then we climb a little to the saddle and the marmots begin to emerge ... Laughing

To the crossing point ...

Even though we have had a leisurely breakfast, the snow is still fairly hard and rattly underski – a major contrast to the extremely soft-going on this route on preceding days.

Although reasonably familiar with most modern languages, I was at a loss on a few occasions, when homphomp & Michelle appeared to be communicating with imaginary friends in a language unfamiliar to me ... Toofy Grin .... it seemed to be a variation on Latin, with just one recognisable word, though I don’t imagine the Romans spake this particular four-lettered specimen when they last visited Lac du Lou ... (Circa a long time ago) .. Laughing

We eventually reach some tasty snow around 2400m and have a bit of fun, turning and swirling in a mixture of Spring snow on the dolmens, though it’s not long until we have to work a bit for our lunch .. Very Happy

We reach the bridge and begin the arduous ascent to the Lunch Zone .. Toofy Grin ... having first said our farewells to those going early and to homphomp & Mr HH who have to begin their voertrek home today ... Sad

My luncheon today comprises of a magnificent sandwich. Encapsulated in what must be the greatest glory of France, the humble baguette, (Which Yoda sourced personally to my order, by way of his daily pilgrimage to the Boulangerie), is jambon de Paris (generous quantities .. ) une petit peut de Brie .. avec a tad of proper mayonnaise, est avec une another tad of Moutarde de Dijon and a teensy-weensy sprinkling of cumin. Quelle delight! It seems impossible that life will get any better, but quelle surpris .... the 900 year old sage plucks two bottles of Champagne from his ABS Pack! complete with drinking receptacles ... Very Happy snowHead .. (Subsequently I have filed a complaint to ABS, as my pack was devoid of such delights).

We dine in some extravagance amid the glorious setting of Lac du Lou and munch our luncheon in pleasure with that great & unique additive .. Alpine Mountain Hunger ... Laughing

(.. a super Al Phorn photo hopefully to be submitted here in due course – which was taken on a time delay mechanism of great sophistication ... )

Al Phorn's photo now released to the public ....

We natter and chatter and we laugh, we savour ‘The Friday Fizz’ amidst that beautiful place that is Lac du Lou. How quickly the week has flown. We reminisce – events of the week and the year ... of course my nation’s latest & greatest Rugby triumph, that recent, that prestigious, that gargantuan accolade of being Grand Slam Champions ... Toofy Grin

For desert ... chocolate covered raisins, though Yoda must have spilled a pack, as I noticed hundreds on the ground near the shack. I carefullie pick these up and put them back in an empty packet, which Al Phorn seems to enjoy ... wink

All good things come to an end and our sojourn ends as we pack our bits & pieces - Yoda packs the empties and soon we are negotiating homphomp Ravine ... Toofy Grin
... and return to civilisation ...

What a day .... ! .... there's a lot of people on this group today that can feel very proud of themselves .. what stars .... Very Happy

Captions for this one ....

... answers on a postcard please ... we’re off to Plein Sud ... Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-04-09 14:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BernardC, Laughing Laughing . Sounds like a fantastic day out !!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"I bet I can get that soft git Bernard to carry my skis on the next climb...if I shake my Tic-Tacs at him"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BernardC, Excellent trip report and great pics.... sounds like it was a real corker snowHead snowHead

(did somebody win the rugby then?) Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC, That's made up for the back to work blues. Cool Laughing Laughing

Caption: Did some of those chocolate raisins taste funny to you ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC wrote:
homphomp Ravine...

BernardC, thanks for an enjoyable ski. This particular ravine was rather gnarly with a certain member of our advance group accidentally finding herself enjoying an impromptu 30ft cliff huck down to the bottom and very nearly pulling it off with style before being dumped between large rocks with one foot in the stream. Cue a mad scramble down to the ravine by the rest of us to thankfully find the skier had avoided what seemed inevitable injury.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC,
What a fab day we had snowHead snowHead

Thank you again for nannying (some of) us through our first off-piste trip into the unknown. And for the entertainment post-"Green" that evening (and also several other evenings wink )

Al Phorn was trying to put his photos in the SMZ yesterday but I don't know how far he got with them. There is however several with various people stuffing baguettes into hungry mouths along with fizz slurping. Hopefully he'll add to your already comprehensive trip report.

Just one thing - it was just as well we didn't know about homphomp's adventure on her way back otherwise I think Michelle and I may well have still been sitting next to that particular ravine having the screeching heebie-jeebies Skullie

Thank you again and I hope we can do something similar again next year - it was one of the best days I have ever had Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BernardC wrote:
TRIP REPORT EoSB “Lac du Lou” ... April 24, 2009

Captions for this one ....

... answers on a postcard please ...

When he said Lac I thought we were going to Tignes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Caption: OK, he's taken the picture, we can walk away from the snowy back drop now and go back to the office.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's getting a bit muddy down here. Now the surface matches the trousers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC, brilliant (as ever) Laughing Thank you for brightening up my dull day back at work - great memories snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks BernardC, my day has been suitably brightened Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC, looks like it had melted quite a bit more at the bottom since we skied it the first weekend.

Hope we ski together next season! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, What a great report....I'm so jealous to have missed out on the fizz in favour of a trip down the ravine. Very Happy

Sideshow_Bob
Quote:
impromptu 30ft cliff huck
is a bit of an exaggeration? I'm sure it wasn't more than 20ft at most Very Happy Very Happy thank the lord for whichever gnarly land feature rolled me over on the last couple of feet so that I landed on my feet instead of my head....otherwise it might have been nasty! Hasn't put me off going again though....where are we going for fizz next year?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homphomp, I caught a tip on that trail and almost did the same Laughing Landed the other way though... it's a bit steep ain't it?
snow report
Scarpa, Reassuring to know I'm not the only one who can make a complete mess of it Very Happy Very Happy I just need a bit more practice!
snow conditions
homphomp, sounds scary.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, It was....but don't tell the gnarly ones, I'm trying to put on a brave front! I have no idea how I survived with just two bruises and one scratch to my name....if I'd hurt myself it would have put me off for life, as it is I have a tall tale to tell at every future EoSB "I remember the day I plunged off the side of the Lac du Lou...." and with every telling the ravine will get deeper Very Happy
snow report
homphomp,

I was right behind you and I am sure it was more like 40ft wink wink

Glad to hear you are ok with no delayed reactions - it was ceratinly frightening watching you roll down that ravine and not being bale to do anything about it apart from shout for help Shocked
ski holidays
kwaka, sorry to scare you guys....what a way to end the trip! I'll have to watch where I put my skis next time and avoid those pesky tree roots.
snow report
homphomp, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
homphomp, Wasn't it like in Lord of the Rings where a great serpentous tenticled creature attempted to drag you into the depths of the lake? Laughing
snow conditions
homphomp, I was just behind kwaka. I saw you go down half way then you disappeared from view. Bloody frightened the life out of me. Glad to hear you only had a few scrapes.

It was definitely more like 60ft wink
ski holidays
you shall not pass...............................
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Friend?
ski holidays
homphomp, Well I've compared the photo with the os map, measured it and had my calculations confirmed by NASA and it was definately 80' wink
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
Helen Beaumont, Friend?

Oh well, go on then.

Very Happy
latest report
BernardC, Loved the valley. One of the Alps' gems, I think.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, Yoda, Mr HH thank you all so much for a wonderful day out snowHead One that I will treasure forever!

To my fellow now-non-virgins, SamM and Al Phorn: thank you so much for allowing me to have all of your gibbering-ness, I really don't think that mine alone would have sufficed Madeye-Smiley

homphomp, RachelQ, JohnQ, kwaka, watski & Sideshow Bob - thanks for putting up with my speed - or rather lack of wink

I so much look forward to doing that run again, but please can you arrange it so that the tracks aren't 40ft deep frozen gulleys that don't allow you out rolling eyes
latest report
Michelle wrote:
I so much look forward to doing that run again, but please can you arrange it so that the tracks aren't 40ft deep frozen gulleys that don't allow you out rolling eyes

Have you had those depths checked out with NASA by Schuss in Boots? Fresh powder next time please!
snow conditions
Al Phorn's sophisticated, automatic Luncheon photo has just been released to the public and I have inserted it in the report, above ... about the lunchtime bit ... Laughing

... Speaking of which, I left my abode in Les Charmettes about 04:00 this morning and have just planted my buttom on a bed in Ouistream, Normandy in preparation for my annual 'Fish-Fest' en route home to Ireland ... this is necessary following months of jambon & fromage ... Toofy Grin .. und guess what I can look forward to ...

12 Oysters from Blainville-sur-Orne, with glass of Champagne (perhaps two .. Toofy Grin )

followed by ..

Scallop a la plancha with tortillas spice stock and mild curry

followed by ..

Steamed Roasted Sea Bass fillet with shellfish Mariniere

followed by ..

Red berries crumble gratineed with rum

For the princely sum of €39 !!!

... & as I don't really do white wine, except fizz as above, this could very well lead to a St. Emilion moment ... Laughing

Going to visit several places tomorrow and Wednesday AND as have got my climbing gear, I hope to climb down Pointe-de-Hoc & then climb back up it, as the Ranger Companies did on D-Day. It's listed as 40m high - (about the same as homphomp Ravine ... ) ... and my rope is 60m .. hope there's no discrepancies ... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
BernardC, Wot? No fish in the crumble??? Shocked Laughing Laughing

(that said, I do hope the fest is good and the ropes are long...) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
BernardC, Wot? No fish in the crumble??? Shocked Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin

Laughing .... I'm trying to exercise moderation and restraint ... Toofy Grin

Al Phorn has taken some really great photos of this trip ... he seems to have been blessed with better light or photographic artistry than me ... Sad

.... This is "The Man with the Golden Boots" .... Madeye-Smiley .... and Michelle .... really SUPER photo .. !

... when you open the link, have a look at the other photos ...

AND in one of them I am pointing at my buttom .... NOT interfering with it ....
snow report
BernardC wrote:
Laughing .... I'm trying to exercise moderation and restraint ... Toofy Grin

Hmmmmm... will the real BernardC please stand up? These are not words with which I would associate him... Confused wink

but then again...
Quote:

AND in one of them I am pointing at my buttom .... NOT interfering with it ....

[cough] oh yes, it really is you then... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, and homphomp, NASA recorded the depths at 40.82ft... technically 41ft... so Michelle, is actually being understated... Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy