Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"First journalist to ski" Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead ... files his copy

Poster: A snowHead
Jonathan Prynn of London's Evening Standard claims first hack's tracks:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23682010-details/The+powder's+great+...+in+Hemel/article.do

Quote:
The snow is created overnight, a fine white mist of Chiltern tap water and compressed air that is blown out at between minus 4.5 and minus 6 degrees centigrade. The snow is flattened each day by a piste basher imported from Austria.

The result is compressed powder such as you would expect to find early on a cold morning in the Alps before the sun has softened it. For my taste that's too compact to be perfect. It lacks that wonderfully crunchy "give" that makes skiing on genuine pisted powder such a delight.

However, it is not a bad effort and the developers of the Snow Centre claim that it is the closest to the real thing yet seen in Britain. There is no ice and, unless something goes very badly wrong with the cooling system, never any slush.

No death cookies either, if they get the grooming right.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The link's on the blink. The above should take you to the index page of Tuesday's Standard, where the story's featured.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think he's right about the snow quality; better than Tamworth and MK in my experience but I wonder if that's because it's not been skied on or whether there has been an improvement in the snow-making technology?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, Try this
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm, bit ropey on the facts like a lot of lazy journalists

Quote:

the first "real snow" indoor ski run in the South-East

last time I looked, Milton Keynes was in the South East, and most definitely less than 45 minutes from London on the Intercity train
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, Milton Keynes is in the Midlands, almost oop North Toofy Grin Certainly North of Warford wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Milton Keynes is placed in the 'South Midlands'. When its snowdome opened it was most probably tagged as "first real snow indoor ski run in the South Midlands".

Did you research that 'fact', nbt?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i am wondering if the claim "Up to 150 skiers at any time will weave down Hertfordshire's premier piste." includes the beginners area....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, David Goldsmith, it's south of manchester, therefore it's down south. any further south and you'd need a passport.

it does annoy me that people in london think the north starts at ther north circular,
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, There is a road sign on the M4 / A34 junction that clearly points to the other side of the M4 as being 'The North' Very Happy wink
However, when I worked in Edinburgh there was a similar sign pointing to the Forth road bridge Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I was the first journalist to ski the full 160metre length of the main run

Note the qualifications in that - so I assume some other journalist got first tracks, but just not for the full length run.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, anywhere south of Deansgate is down south NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt wrote:
last time I looked, Milton Keynes was in the South East, and most definitely less than 45 minutes from London on the Intercity train

nbt wrote:
Boredsurfing, David Goldsmith, it's south of manchester, therefore it's down south.

No it's not. It's in the South Midlands or Midlands. Instead of flapping about, why not simply apologise to the journalist involved? You semi-libelled him, using the veil of anonymity.
I can't see anything wrong with the journalism - he got the scoop and wrote an objective review of the slope.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
nbt wrote:

nbt wrote:
Boredsurfing, David Goldsmith, it's south of manchester, therefore it's down south.

No it's not. It's in the South Midlands or Midlands.

According to the Government it's in the South East....it comes under Government Office for the South East! So does Oxford for that matter....but if Gordon says so he must be right!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's in the Midlands!
snow report
Not that I could care less..... but Milton Keynes is in the official region of South East England, as demonstrated by the membership of the South East England Regional Assembly http://www.southeast-ra.gov.uk/ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, based on the government's definition of Milton Keynes being in the South East, will you now apologise to nbt for slurring him on a public forum? Twisted Evil
snow report
I'm going to stick with Boredsurfing, on this.... if it's north of the M4... its North... Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Quote:
Milton Keynes South Midlands (mksm) is the largest and most successful growth area in the UK. It is made up of parts of three of the UK's best performing regions (the South East, the East and the East Midlands).

Source: http://www.mksm.org.uk/
snow report
Pretty sure MK is not in the midlands. It's in Buckinghamshire which I believe comes under the category of 'Home Counties'. Tamworth however, is in the midlands...
snow report
Ah, this is the beauty of MK isn't it .... so accessible wink

Not that it really matters, but back in the early '90s John Major designated 10 government office regions to formalise such things. Buckinghamshire was classed as the 'south-east' - an area which includes the Milton Keynes Unitary Authority. Toofy Grin

[Edited for appalling spelling!]
snow report
Oooh, there's even a region finder on the Government Office website ... very fancy!

www.gos.gov.uk
ski holidays
The fact that Jonathan Prynn filed a story ahead of any other writer (to my knowledge) is notable. These projects are usually tightly controlled in terms of media coverage and it's rare for one writer to be given priority (if that's the case - maybe he sneaked a preview). Usually there's a press launch, to which all media are invited, so that no individual paper/broadcast channel feels at a loss.

All in all, Jonathan Prynn doesn't deserve the description "lazy journalist" and "bit ropey on the facts". He got off his backside, got up there and got the story ... and we've enjoyed it.

Do you do apologies, nbt?
snow report
David Goldsmith, no, and I never will.
ski holidays
Quote:

doesn't deserve the description "lazy journalist" and "bit ropey on the facts".

I agree completely.

However, the particular comment about the location might give the impression to some, that us South-Easterners don't have any other viable alternatives.

Just a thought.
latest report
nbt, what's your real name?
latest report
I would like to know who had the first run of the slope. I am betting it wasn't a journalist; so why should a journalist claim a first run if for no other reason than self importance. The whole idea of a 'scoop' is just pathetic.

When I have the first run, then that will be worth reporting (It will be MY first run and I will have great pleasure reporting it to all concerned = ME)
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, do you have nothing better to do? rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, it's out there (it's elsewhere on this forum in fact), I don't use it regularly as my posting name on forums and I won't, I don't want my employers' clients to associate my personal life with my real life. That's not to say that I won;t stand by the statements I make online. In any case I have personally emailed you in the past, so you should have my name and probably my email address, I've used the same one for the past ten years

to get back to the point in fact, rather than continuing with an ill founded attack on me in order to detract from the issue I raised in a light hearted manner: you;ve been shown several links above which show that MK is indeed in the south east, including an official government website. Moreover, the website that you linked to says the following

Quote:
Milton Keynes South Midlands (mksm) is the largest and most successful growth area in the UK. It is made up of parts of three of the UK's best performing regions (the South East, the East and the East Midlands).

(my bold)

This suggests to me that the "south midlands" is somewhat of a misnomer...
snow report
lampbus wrote:
I would like to know who had the first run of the slope.

It was a snowHead: gillski (who also happens to be head of the ski school there).

David Goldsmith rolling eyes
snow report
m.k. is up north
latest report
David Goldsmith, get a grip. You've been proved wrong, Accept it.
latest report
cathy wrote:
Not that I could care less..... but Milton Keynes is in the official region of South East England, as demonstrated by the membership of the South East England Regional Assembly http://www.southeast-ra.gov.uk/ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

hmm, the same principle that puts Gloucestershire in the South West, along with Devon and Cornwal Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Anonymice, there's nothing "lazy" or unfactual about Jonathan Prynn's report. If you want to have a pop at him or me or anyone else it's more worthwhile to put your words to your names. The wretched 'internet forum syndrome' of gratuitious anonymous attacks hardly progresses knowledge or goodwill.

Please reserve anonymity for where it's really justified - i.e. self-protection, whistle-blowing etc. etc. Not this kind of cr@p.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Please reserve anonymity for where it's really justified - i.e. self-protection, whistle-blowing etc. etc. Not this kind of cr@p.

...and multiple sock puppets who refuse to confirm their identity?
ski holidays
Excuse my ignorance Embarassed but what is a Sock-Puppet?

Trolls, sock-puppets ... it's all getting very confusing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
abj wrote:
Excuse my ignorance Embarassed but what is a Sock-Puppet?

Trolls, sock-puppets ... it's all getting very confusing Madeye-Smiley

Sock-puppets are alter-egos Smile (i.e. where a poster creates another user name under which to post without people knowing who it is).
snow report
alex_heney, thanks.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
David Goldsmith, do you have nothing better to do? rolling eyes

You mean better than defending a fellow writer against a silly, but rather nasty, attack? Not really.

The internet needs a combination of honest journalists who go out and get factual stories, and fair-minded people who chatter away about them. What it doesn't need is rotten vegetation being chucked around unfairly by anonymous children.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
What it doesn't need is rotten vegetation being chucked around unfairly by anonymous children.

Given that's from a man who in his time (and maybe even now?) has a whole collection of sock puppets it's both patronising and unpleasant.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy