Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying 'freestyle' for the first time - twin tips question

Poster: A snowHead
At 31 I'm probably too old to start, but I quite fancy giving a few rails/boxes, etc. a go.

MK snowdome do a freestyle evening, with instructors on hand to give advice ... so might try that.

My question is: do I really need twin-tips?

I've got my own skis but don't fancy ruining them, and MK don't hire out twin-tips.

What do you reckon?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, it would probably help but isn't completely necessary especially not for straight jumps and normal rails/boxes. Go for it and give it a try Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's what I hoped someone would say.

Now, am I completely mad for trying it in the first place??!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abj, not at all. You will probably decide being in the air is a whole lot more fun than being on a rail though. Rails hurt if you aren't very good from the off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, that's my main concern. Falling isn't fun, but cracking a limb on a rail is going to be even less fun!

Body armour maybe?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abj, chances are you will just be on small boxes to begin with, riding them straight forward. Body armour is probably overkill if you are only trying it once or even a couple times. Helmet mandatory..

Disclaimer: Ross accepts no responsibility for broken bones
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, 31 your far from too old. The more things you do on skis the better skier you'll be. If you survive let me know I'll give it a go too. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv, thanks for the advice.]

RPF, if I muster the courage, I'll let you know.

As a matter of interest, has anyone been to the MK dome freestyle nights? Any good?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm down MK pretty regular on the freestyle nights, more than happy to help you out anytime you see me (be the one with the bright orange ONE's on!) but just recovering from knee surgery so wont be down till mid summer, as for 31 too old, I bloody hope not as I've just turned that myself! BTW one of my old friends just landed his first 7 in the Mayrhofen park...and he's 30...and it was only about 2 years ago that I really first got into (onto?) rails.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks the_doc.

I'm not expecting to become particularly good at it. But I tend to ski with boarders most of the time, so it would be nice to take the occasional trip to the terrain park and not just be an audience member!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You certainly don't NEED twin-tips if you're trying freestyle for the first time. Fact is you can ski many non twin-tips backwards anyway.

I wouldn't use your own skis on the rails and boxes though. Let the MK rental skis take the punishment! The only problem you might find is with balance. Many freestyle skis have the bindings completely centred which makes them easier to spin and balance on boxes. The rental skis will have an alpine set-up (bindings attached further to the rear of the skis) but this really isn't a major handicap for the beginner...

31 is not too old. Have a go, i'm sure you'll enjoy it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
embramalc, Just never, ever, ever do what I did and use semi twins (B2s) to repeatedly ski up the wall and then reverse... in the end the tails dug in to the snow/wood junction and cast me in a fishing rod style manner right onto my coccyx Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the_doc, What is a 7 ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
What is a 7

It's just an abreviation for 720, meaning rotating 720 degrees (two complete spins)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're thinking of doing anything more than straight airs then you really do need to perfect skiing backwards. If you're not confident landing and skiing backwards it's a major handicap. Twintips? You don't need them, but if you find yourself spending quite a bit of time in the park...

Just to add about rails and boxes, I found as a complete beginner that rails don't usually hurt to fall off because you tend to fall 'off' them. Boxes on the other hand are the work of the devil because it's far easier to fall 'on' them.
latest report
mark_s, Personally, I am still at the straight airs stage, and very small ones at that. I am not brave enough to try anything more yet.

I must say that the half-pipe looks easy - I'm not saying I can do it just that it looks easier than big airs. Maybe because there is less distance to fall.
snow report
Hmmm .... maybe I need to start working on my backwards-skiing skills before I venture further.

I can make it down a gentle slope backwards - although with no particular style. But landing a jump backwards, no way!

Quote:

The only problem you might find is with balance. Many freestyle skis have the bindings completely centred which makes them easier to spin and balance on boxes

This what I thought. It's silly that MK don't rent twin-tips - especially as they lay on proper freestyle sessions.
snow conditions
On these freestyle sessions do they have any doubles?

Also does it get really busy around these times?
I am thinking of going after my exams when the normal schools are still open.
J.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy