Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Industry Jobs

Poster: A snowHead
br3nnie, fellow snowHead solarfish emigrated out to Canmore, Canada a year or so back. I'm pretty sure I remember his wife gained a position in accountancy working for Sunshine Village ski resort. My memory may be failing or their situation may have changed (although I think he's still in Canmore) but, if you're thinking about the possibility of gaining accountancy work in a ski resort, it may worth PMing him for any information or help - I don't think he comes on sH that much Shocked so may not come across this thread.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guys & Gals,

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions. It really is a big decision and it all helps!

The teaching aspect and being out and about rather than stuck behind a desk is a real motivator. Having said that, the long term career prospects and future earning potential is a tad worrying. The safety of a definite salary is hard to give up.

The idea of doing BASI L1 and Pre-course L2 in the UK seems ideal and I will persue that avenue. I'm intending to get out for much of the season next year and if I can incorporate L2 with some teaching I will be pleased. Its nice to hear that people have survived and enjoy the life and more importantly lifestyle!

On a slightly different tack, does anyone know of accounting roles (or management roles) for actual resorts? Surely the running of a resort must be a fairly time consuming effort and as well noted, I only need a laptop and mobile to operate. Having said that I work in Investment Management (don't all tarnish me with the bankers brush! Cool ) so working in a city near the slopes could be ideal. Although doesn't solve the not wanting to be sat behind a desk problem...

So if anyone hears of jobs going please do give me a shout!

Are France receptive to British skiers learning to instruct? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
br3nnie wrote:
Are France receptive to British skiers learning to instruct? Madeye-Smiley

In a word, 'No'.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Are France receptive to British skiers learning to instruct?

In a word, 'No'.

But if you're ISTD EU rules mean they have to lump it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1 wrote:
Quote:

Are France receptive to British skiers learning to instruct?

In a word, 'No'.

But if you're ISTD EU rules mean they have to lump it!

Yes, but L2 doesn't really help much Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
br3nnie, lift companies have all the same bean-counting needs as other businesses. You would have to both speak and write the local language to a decent level.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv wrote:
beanie1 wrote:
Now CSIA no longer has the ISIA stamp it's really only worth following that path if you only want to work in Canada.

And numerous other countries around the world rolling eyes rolling eyes

Where are you getting your info from

Q How do I get the international certification (ISIA) sticker?
To receive your ISIA sticker you must be a CSIA Level 3 International Certified Ski Instructor. Contact the National Office sothat we may issue your sticker.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah1992, do you work for CSIA? If so and the information above is incorrect then there is a large misconception that you need to work on. I got the information from many Europe based CSIA instructors I met this season as they were discussing the implications for them, it seems to be quite widely known in the industry.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to ski a lot during the season. Work your ar5e of during the summer and just skibum the winter. If you need to work, think about rental shops. In the shops sorting gear out in the morning. Ski the middle of the day, back to the shop in the afternoon or for yourself I'd consider looking at a job in Geneva or other city thats close to the snow and ski when you can.
I do know people working remotely in resorts for large companies. Work half days in their appartments on their laptops then ski half the day. Does your job able you to work like this?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

do know people working remotely in resorts for large companies. Work half days in their appartments on their laptops then ski half the day

what do they do? where can i sign up Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, I could. But there would be a bijou problem on the domestic front.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, can we do a "job swap", will your role work in Mottaret?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, my job would work anywhere that would allow me to fly to Luton (or, less conveniently, Stansted) once a month or so. How are you with inter-active web design and 3D CAD - and how are you going to persuade Mrs a that this swap thing is a good idea??? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is something what most of you guys here are missing Wink Working in ski industry, or anything related to it, doesn't means you will be skiing on your own most of time. Working in rental shops means working in rental shops, not popping there on morning, and then skiing all day long. Being ski instructor means being on skis, but you have very little from skiing this way. Personally I spend on snow many many days as photographer (shooting mainly skiing WC during winter), but to be honest, skiing down the WC course to my spot with backpack full of camera gear, is not really skiing for me. So even if I spent huge part of winter on snow, I had about 20 or maybe 25 skiing days in whole winter... from October till May.
So if someone wants to ski, I suggest him/her to get normal job, preferably somewhere close to ski resorts, and ski in his free time. It will give you much more skiing, then when you are working in ski industry Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
br3nnie wrote:
Morning All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I wonder if you all at Snowheads can help.

I'm currently looking at doing a season in Jan 2010 (either ski instructing or a season working) but need to look at life post April 2010. Does any one know of a snow industry magazine or website in which ski / snow related jobs are advertised?

I'm hoping to get involved with the management of a ski company / resort or the like. I'm looking for a career change after being a qualified accountant (no boring jokes please! Very Happy ) and working in the City (London) for the last 5 years. Any suggestions on how to break into this or who to speak to?

Any advice would be much welcomed!

Bring on the snow next year...

Cheers

Natives are holding an open day (with quite a few TO's) at the Novotel West London in Hammersmith. From 11am - 5pm on 30th May. Not sure if you have to call them and book or just turn up.
You could give em a call and ask.
http://www.natives.co.uk/skijobs/jobsfair/report.html
snow report
Job fairs are cool for jobs with big companies but lotsa smaller chalets just advertise their jobs online on sites like www.ski-jobs.co.uk and www.ukoh.co.uk cos they stay in the Alps rather than coming to London to recruit. Now and next month is the best time to start applying if you want to get the best chance for 09/10 season. best of luck!
latest report
essexgirl, welcome to snowHead's and thanks for a really useful first post Cool
snow conditions
Good luck getting a teaching job in France or Austria... To qualify for teaching you need to be super fast, I think it's somewhere within 4 seconds of a world cup qualifying time.
If you want to ski, don't teach, you will send every day on a green slope for most of your season. Have you thought about selling up and buying a business in resort, that way you get to set your own hours and be your own boss. There are always bars and restaurants looking for owners.
You won't walk into a management position with a TO, most of the managers have ben with the company for a long time and have done the rounds as far as jobs go. They will usually work in places such as Greece and Spain in summer too, no one wants to do that.
I have been lucky with jobs but I still won't get the jobs I want out in resort, Im one of 36 piste basher drivers in the uk but I'd never get a job as one out in resort. Ultimately you have to be adaptable, either go out and make the changes so you can work in resort or don't, don't go half cocked looking for an accountancy job and relying on that getting you your skiing hours.
snow conditions
Bigpantsjayke, that's interesting, where do you work, Scotland or one of the indoor slope?

Your info on teaching in Austria is not accurate - it's v easy to teach in Austria with a low level instructor qualification. You're crrect in that to teach in France you have to pass the Eurotest ot the test techqique to become a stagiere, but it is achievable for a career instructor who does the training.
ski holidays
br3nnie, Have just stumbled across the following ad for a Central Office Accountant needed in Val d'Isere

http://www.ski-jobs.co.uk/s-job-details_57115.aspx?qu=%3ftype%3d1

Thought it may be of interest to you
snow report
Quote:

Your info on teaching in Austria is not accurate - it's v easy to teach in Austria with a low level instructor qualification

beanie1, I'm interested in your above comment as I'm looking to spend a season in Austria. I'm in the throws of taking my BASI Alpine Instructor L1 starting this week with some pre-course training sessions and then the L1 course itself at the end of June. The trainer who is taking the sessions/course is a guy that I think is known to some of you, Andy Jerrams. Everyone who I have talked to about the course has said that Andy is an excellent teacher

So my plan is to get my L1, perhaps some of my shadowing hours in the UK (if possible) and then head out to Austria. Whilst I'm out there I am hoping to do some more shadowing, complete my hours and do more if possible as I realise that this is a great way to learn from more experienced instructors. Gain more experience/knowledge, and generally progress towards being a better instructor with the required qualifications. Is that do able in your opinion?

I realise that I'll not necessarily be able to 'hit the ground running' so I have a few more irons in the fire in terms of getting by, finding work in other areas, etc. My biggest concern is my poor German, which I am currently working upon improving. Do you think that a lack of German would be a major stumbling block to achieving any of the above?
snow report
Sleipnir, You (theoretically) won't be able to work in Austria with your L1 as it only qualifies you to teach on artificial slopes, however I'd have thought you'd be able to line up some shadowing, if you don't intend to actually work as an instructor.

If you do want to work as an instructor, you could either try and get all the shadowing done this summer and do your BASI L2 in November before the season starts, or do the Austrian Anwarter at the start of the season in AUstria. My understanding is that level wise this is similar to BASI L1, but it's an on snow qualification. This would probably be the route to take if you didn't think you were quite ready for your BASI L2. I know someone who did exactly that last season, now just about to do his BASI L2 after a season in Austria. Didn't get much work (but I think that may say more about him than about his qualification), so if you needed to earn enough to live on you might need to get bar work or something like that too.

Not speaking German shouldn't be a problem as long as you go to a resort that lots of Brits go to.
snow report
Thanks for your thoughts beanie1, - that's reassuring to hear. The BASI L1 is very restrictive when it comes to instructing I know, but hey, even the longest journey starts with a single step Very Happy As I am located quite close to Tamworth I am hopeful that I may be able to get some (most/all) of my shadowing done there and then progressing towards either L2 or the Anwarter. I like the idea you suggested of using the time to gain enough knowledge until I'm ready for L2. One of our fellow snowHead has some contacts with the Salzburgerland Schilehrer Verband who I am told may be able to help in some ways

You are right about the money side of things. It's never been a 'money thing' and thankfully I have savings put aside, but if I can earn a little beer money here and there all the better. I'm studying a course to Teach English as a Foreign Language so that may be another option. Also as one of Sypderjon's pupils, I may be able to pick up the odd euro here and there from ski tunes for those who don't want to put their planks through a machine
latest report
Sleipnir,
Quote:

I'm studying a course to Teach English as a Foreign Language

Me too!! Which course are you doing?

Not sure there'd be a lot of paid work with that in AUstria (everyone speaks such good English anyway, and there's no shortage of people to practice with for free), but I thought if someone wanted to become a career instructor that would be a good job to have for the summers, get to teach all over the world.
latest report
Quote:

I'm studying a course to Teach English as a Foreign Language

Me too!! Which course are you doing?

It's a CELTA based course. Just the first introduction course I guess you could call it. Thereafter I am thinking about maybe be the full time intensive CELTA course but that's more of a commitment and of course, expensive

Interesting your comments about teaching English. An Austrian friend of mine (Gabi) is involved in teaching English and she says that they value native English speakers and sometimes struggle to be able to get someone involved in their courses/workshops. The way she described it was that they can learn only so much from a text book, but to truly understand how a language is spoken, interaction with a native speaker is a better approach. I guess that you pick up on the idiosyncrasies on how a language is actually spoken/used. I'm hopeful that Gabi will be able to find me a little work in this area, probably as a glorified teaching assistant who can just pick a subject that interests her students and talk/debate, plus injecting a bit of reality about the English language that would not be covered in a text book
snow report
Sleipnir, I think you'd probably need to go outside the ski resorts t find that though?
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
Sleipnir, I think you'd probably need to go outside the ski resorts t find that though?

You are spot on. Gabi is based in the Austrian plains (close to Vienna) but as she said, it's only 2 hours to Ski Amade so being able to combine the two elements is a possibility (if you plan it ok)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy