Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain restaurants in the three valleys

Poster: A snowHead
We've been going to the three valleys for several years now, generally staying in La tania but have yet to find a decent restaurant on the mountain. Anybody have any favourites?

Just simple quality food at a reasonable price in a nice location. have found a few good places coming off the mountain like Le tremplin in Meribael/Mottaret but I'd like to eat at a restaurant on the mountain as we're travelling in march and it will be warmer.

we often slide in Morzine where the mountain restaurants are very good especially in the goat village and one other further up the mountain which is run by Patsy from Ab fab - great food and quality entertainment.

Any idas people?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hard pushed to find anything at reasonable prices but if you don't go wild the Bel Air jsut below the top of the Ariondaz bubble in 1650 is really good - fab situation and good food.
'menus du jour' are always far better value everywhere than doing anything else.
Haven't eaten there for a couple of years, but the Courcheneige in 1850 used to do a (comparatively) reasonable one with a fantastic pudding buffet table. We used to have 2 meals and share with the children when they were younger, which didn't work out too badly.
NB you will need to book!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bel Air, at the top of the gondola from Courchevel 1650. We turned up in a blizzard once, there were no spare tables inside, so they put us under the eaves outside wrapped in blankets, served us incredibly fast, then gave us all a large free shot of the local brandy to warm us up before we went on our way. Exceptional service by anybody's standards! I've used it a number of times and can confirm that the food is pretty good and reasonably priced as well.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 28-01-05 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for Bel Air!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There aren't any.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

have yet to find a decent restaurant on the mountain

Cause there aren't any in the Courch or Meri/Mot valleys. It's a well-known black hole for "decent" mountain restaurants. You have to drop back into the villages. But I've heard that there's some nice restuarants in the lower Val T villages, especially St Martin de Bellevue. Spend the morning skiing over from La Tania and reward yourself with a nice lunch!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's becoming a bit of a theme but also Bel Air gets my vote.

It certainly isn't 'budget', but compared to the amount you pay for some pretty poor food in some of the other mountain restraunts in the area, it's definitely reasonable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ashton parker, The only place I would recommend, and it's no more than a lukewarm one, is tha Panorama at the top of La Masse, above Les Menuires. The views of Val T are fantastic and though the food is ordinary at least it is resonable money by local standards, i.e. a meal for under €10. It's a hell of a long way from La Tania though, but worth it for the great skiing on that side of Belleville.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info, people. pretty much confirmed my views. I didn't really want to believe I'd missed a quality restaurant after sliding all over the 3V for probably the last five years.

I'll definitley check the Bel Air - don't mind paying a bit more to eat somewhere that is a lot better than somewhere a bit cheaper. i think that makes sense.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avoid just about every restaurant in Courcheval 1850, they all belong to the 'hand your wallet over at the door' school of cuisine
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
While not disagreeing with David@traxvax, we were well received at a very crowded "Bergeries" at 1850 last year. We hadn't booked and the place was heaving. As I recall we all had the basic Spag Bol for €13. Not cheap I know, but you gotta eat something and somewhere. They cheerfully packed in 5 obviously non-rich people in what is after all a pretty elite area. It's a premier sort of place, and you pay the price accordingly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The best plan for the 3v's is stay in a chalet where you get a BIG evening meal, and do a deal with the chalet staff to provide you with a packed lunch in return for a Euro or three.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did a season in 3v last year and would say Bel Air is best, but I would also reccomend the Soucoupe and the Courcheneige in 1850. Cote 2000 above Motteret on the Courchevel side is good (everything is fresh - I know the daughter of the owner), the restaurant between Plattieres bubble first and second station on the other side of Motteret next to the rope tow, the Rastro in Motteret, Castors at the Chaudanne in Meribel, and the one just off to the right of the Golf run down to Meribel Village on the road up to Altiport (but this is seriously expensive, as opposed to just very expensive for the others!). Sadly there are no bargains, but the above get my vote for quality and/or service.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Incidentally one of the best mountain restaurants in the 3V, IMHO, was the Genepi in Val Thorens, however when I was there last it appeared to have closed down.

Anyone know anything about this?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
M80euf, Welcome to snowHeads. And thanks for an informative debut post. I'll be using your info. snowHead
ski holidays
M80euf, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
Sorry - can't spell recommend! Also had a couple of good meals at the resaturant at the top of Loze, between Meribel and Courchevel/La Tania - sorry I can't remember all teh names, it's Friday.
latest report
Thank you - I came across the site this week. Am enjoying whiling away the dull hours dreaming about my next season - nice to know there are others out there who have the same deams...
snow report
dreams even
snow conditions
M80euf, thanks for the tips much appreciated. I can now plan a few expeditions around some decent lunch stops.
ski holidays
The best chocolate brownies in the world (at least at 3200m) are at the Stuttgarter Hutte at the top of 'Col' in Val Thorens. There is also a really good restaurant at the top of the 2 Lacs chair in Val T. Is that the Genepi? If so it is a great shame if it's closed.
snow report
What's the restaurant called at the top of the 3 Vallées Express from Orelle? I had a couple of good, and reasonably priced meals, there...
ski holidays
Depends on your tastes! We like the Bouc Blanc on the way down from Loze to La Tania. On the other hand, the kids love the burger van on at the side of the piste in Val Thorens which, if nothing else, is cheap (I think about €5 or €6 for a burger+chips+coke).
latest report
Chris Angus, The one at the top of the 2 Lacs chair is imaginitively named Les Deux Lacs, and was still open when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

The Genepi restaurant was the one half way down the run from Morraine, and did the finest Vin Chaud on the slopes.
snow report
Oh yes, and used to blare out very loud music although that had stopped last season! I spent a lot of time in Genepi last April sampling the great vin chaud. A couple of years back they used to let you stay there until 6/7 and then ski down. Unfortunately the law apparently changed last year and they're no longer allowed to do that. It is a great shame if it has closed! However the Stuttgarter Hutte I mentioned above does good vin chaud at the top of Col with superb views. Razz
snow report
Mr H and I didn't eat at the Genepi, but we did stop for a vin chaud there one afternoon last Easter.
They were playing what sounded like French ska music, which was great.
We're going back to VT at the beginning of April Very Happy , and will probably try eating there.
snow report
I always favour Les Cretes on the Tougnette side of Meribel. Recommend their Omelette Savoyarde Also fabulous views. The restaurant at the top of the Loze chairlift isn't bad but I can't remember its name. Several good places in St Martin village Lachenal & Eterlou to name a couple and in VT there was a new one opened last year somewhere near the Boismint lift. Can't remember that name either. Heard tell of a new one in Belleville valley at foot of new Granges chair. Shall inspect it in March.
snow conditions
I’m off to La Tania on Saturday so thought I would resurrect this thread and summarise the recommendations below:-

Bel Air (near top of Ariondaz bubble in 1650)

Mexican Burger Bar at 1850 just under the bridge
Soucoupe and the Courcheneige in 1850.

Bouc Blanc on the way down from Loze to La Tania

Cote 2000 above Motteret on the Courchevel side
restaurant between Plattieres bubble first and second station on the other side of Motteret next to the rope tow,
the Rastro in Motteret,

Castors at the Chaudanne in Meribel
Les Cretes on the Tougnette side of Meribel (for Omelette Savoyarde)

Stuttgarter Hutte at the top of 'Col' in Val Thorens. (for chocolate brownies)
Le Deux Lacs at top of 2 lacs chair in Val T
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I liked the place by the Plattieres 1 gondola station.

Also recommend the Cote Brune at Mottaret for pizzas.
snow report
Two of our favourites are:

Le Lodge du Village in Meribel Village (take the blue Lapin piste from Altiport) - fantastic food and very reasonable prices for the Three Valleys. Lovely south-facing terrace (best tables are on the balcony).

L'Oeil du Beouf in Courchevel 1550 (take the Tovets piste from 1850) - meat grilled on an open fire and the baked potatoes cooked in the ashes. Wonderful food, but quite pricey. Need to book as it's very snug inside with only a few tables.
snow conditions
Dunno what it's like now, but quite a few years ago (probably 10!) we had a *fantastic* Christmas Day lunch at the mountain restaurant down towards St Martin de Belleville - just between the St Martin I and St Martin II chairs. [Have these since been replaced by 2 bubbles.]
ski holidays
FionaG, welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy