Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just how popular are Wintersports?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of any actual numbers of skiers? UK? Europe? North America?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crystal ski report here, gives an in sight but doesn't answer your spefic question
http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/press-centre/2007/crystal-ski-industry-report-2007.html
or another version of the same thing but with technology Very Happy
http://emag.digitalpc.co.uk/shg/crs_report08.asp

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 27-04-09 14:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, brilliant, thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, Maybe a dig around on the SCGB site may give the answer Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi,If you like statistics Very Happy
http://www.presse-laplagne.com/info_detail.php?id=878&lang=en
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
About 1 - 2% of the world's population currently skis or boards.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, as I dont know what the current world population is, how much is that? Or are you being funny? I genuinely have no clue!

Boredsurfing, thanks for your help. Thats exactly where I checked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's quite common where I work, 49 staff of which 8 of us are regular visitors to the mountains and another 5 have been once or twice before...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, thanks for that.

Does anyone know how many places of work like queen bodecia, there are in the UK so I can do a quick multiplication? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Does anyone know how many places of work like queen bodecia, there are in the UK so I can do a quick multiplication? Toofy Grin

3 I think - or maybe 4. You do the math Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guvnor, might work off 3.5 to be safe , if its all the same
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Whitegold, as I dont know what the current world population is, how much is that? Or are you being funny? I genuinely have no clue!

He is almost certainly wrong. As usual, but whether he is attempting to be funny, I have no idea.

I think it is probably in the region of that percentage of the population in "Western" nations, but way less in the most populous areas of the world, and therefore of the world population as a whole.

But it is the sort of thing it is impossible to get reasonable figures for. You can find out total number of skier days for most resorts, but that doesn't tell you how many individuals have skied there. And the nearest thig I have seen to a collation of even those figures is the Crystal report mentioned above.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, Here's a 'nicer' version of the Crystal report.
http://emag.digitalpc.co.uk/shg/crs_report08.asp

In the good old days of the Ski club of Great Britain there was a proper Clubhouse and one could use the Library for research, after moving south of the river I'm not sure if such a facility is available. Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
07/01/09 6,790,062,216

www.census.gov/ipc/www/popclockworld.html

alex_heney, don't think you can say Whitegold is wrong without conclusive information especially not with this ''I think it is probably'', that's just weak Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i KNOW HOW MANY PAIRS OF SKI BOOTS ARE SOLD EACH YEAR? HOW DO WE THINK THAT WOULD RELATE TO HOW MANY SKI,
snow conditions
arv wrote:
07/01/09 6,790,062,216

www.census.gov/ipc/www/popclockworld.html

alex_heney, don't think you can say Whitegold is wrong without conclusive information especially not with this ''I think it is probably'', that's just weak Laughing

That is whay I said "almost certainly".

I agree, I can't be absolutely completely certain. But based on the Crystal report, it would only be about 3% of the UK population, even if all trips were the only trip made by that person.

And while the alpine nations will have a higher proportion, most other "Western" nations will have no higher, and probably lower, while the Asian (with the exception of Japan) and African nations will have a miniscule proportion of their populations going skiing.
ski holidays
I reckon, 2-3% looks pretty realistic
ski holidays
alex_heney, 'almost certainly' doesn't excuse the fact you dismissed someones post on the grounds of their posting history (or the fact you often disagree with the opinion of Whitegold) without having any clue yourself Laughing

Unless you are giving sources for your information your guess is no better than any other user.
ski holidays
That Crystal report is "trips" and not "participants". Nobody, as far as I'm aware, has ever come up with a number for UK individuals that go skiing or boarding - accepted number though seems to be circa 750,000. But then how do you define a skier? Someone who goes once every few years or someone who goes 6 times a season and spends weekends and evenings at a dome and dreams about it 100% of the time?

From memory, figure for USA and Japan are around 12 million each, Europe is north of that and China is growing exponentially (from a small base). But again, what defines a skier or boarder... how many daytrippers in Europe as opposed to US citizens who are more likely to spend several days at least?

1% of the world population would be almost 70,000,000 participants. Seems very high to me. 3% is unrealistic.

Peter Leuzzi, out of interest, why do you need to know?
latest report
Bode Swiller, My maths would seem poor, i would agree, 1% is almost completely ridiculous.
ski holidays
arv wrote:
alex_heney, 'almost certainly' doesn't excuse the fact you dismissed someones post on the grounds of their posting history (or the fact you often disagree with the opinion of Whitegold) without having any clue yourself Laughing

What makes you think his posting history had anything whatsoever to do with me saying he was almost certainly wrong?

I know I said "as usual", but that was just a complete aside, and had nothing to do with the fact that I am almost certain he is wrong.

Quote:

Unless you are giving sources for your information your guess is no better than any other user.

Of course. The difference between Whitegold and I on that is that he states it as an absolute fact, while I know that we simply don't have access to the figures which would give us an absolute fact, so I talk about "probably" and "almost certainly".

The only source I have is the same Crystal report that others have.

But it is clear from that report that less than 3% of the UK population ski each winter. And we are one of the richest nations in the world, in terms of average disposable income.

While I don't have sources, I would be absolutely amazed if anywhere near 1% of the population of China, or India, or any other populous Asian nation skis.

I stand by my statement that he is almost certainly wrong. Not because of his posting history, or because I often disagree with him, but because it does not make sense to me that the proportion of the world population that skis is anything like as high as he suggests.
ski holidays
alex_heney, I am not getting in to this, something was obviously misunderstood or lost in translation, apologies. I understand from your posting history you often get involved in long tedious arguments about nothing which I would like to avoid Very Happy
ski holidays
arv wrote:
alex_heney, I am not getting in to this, something was obviously misunderstood or lost in translation, apologies.

OK.
Quote:

I understand from your posting history you often get involved in long tedious arguments about nothing which I would like to avoid Very Happy

It isn't unknown. Embarassed

And I fully understand anybody not wanting to go down that route - although it does take two Smile
ski holidays
Hmmm... Should it be "Just how popular IS wintersports? (one word)" or maybe "Just how popular ARE winter sports? (two words)". Or how about snow sports or snowsports because, after all, not all sliding happens in the winter. Perhaps all that needs tidying up first.
snow report
alex_heney, it does Laughing

Must. Hold. Back...

It would be interesting to see if anyone had researched this or had any conclusive figures.
snow report
arv wrote:
It would be interesting to see if anyone had researched this or had any conclusive figures.

But that might lead to an informed debate and spoil things Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy