Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re-proofed, tumble dry, hang in the sun, iron? either/all?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, I have been back and re-read the various cleaning and proofing threads and am still undecided. When I used to clean my TXMAXX specials it didn't seem quite as important, but now I'm dealing with 400 quids worth of Goretex it seems a bit more critical.

It's an all in one jacket - outer shell - goretex, modest padding performance liner - Eider, similarly constructed sallies in terms of fabrics - Vist

Process so far. Washing machine cleaned of detergent.

Articles washed in Nikwax Techwash
Articles hanging on line in the sun to remove some of the water, and squirted thoroughly with Nikwax TX-Direct spray on.

What next?

Leave on line to dry? tumble dry? if tumble dry hot or cold cycle? warm iron if fabric allows?

Also, Goretex padded gloves - at the moment treated as per the jackets - is the Nixwax glove proof (which I would have to buy) worth doing? Do they need heat treating if its used?

I realise this seems to be as much black art as boot fitting, but I'd be interested in a selection of opinions before I do the next bit whatever I decide on.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, I don't think you needed to do any more than wash it in Techwash. No need for any re-proofing until the water droplets soak in, instead of beading on the surface. That's not happened with mine yet and they've been washed quite a few times. I usually just line-dry mine, or if in France, with no line, leave hanging over the bath till it stops dripping (best not to spin too hard) then somewhere warmish. Turning inside out half way through drying gets the job done quicker, but no need unless you need it quickly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what do the instructions say? My Goretex softshell says tumble dry to maintin the water repellant layet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:

Articles washed in Nikwax Techwash
Articles hanging on line in the sun to remove some of the water, and squirted thoroughly with Nikwax TX-Direct spray on.

What next?

Nothing, just wait until it dries. You can check the proofing by running one of the sleeves under a dripping tap. Watch in amazement how it beads up and falls off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, as Pan suggests, you're probably done and probably didn't need the spray. I TX-Direct then tumble dry my goretex as it needs it (jacket has 8 years, >8 washes and ~>300 ski days since new - and came up very well after last treatment) - new(ish) kit shouldn't.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, are you telling me that all this hyper-expensive gear doesn't come with something as basic as washing instructions? I'd take it back and complain. Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, Goretex washing instructions are on the website for the fabric last time I looked...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK then, thanks - job jobbed. Will wait until the jacket dries and then hang them up in a wardrobe safe until next year
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, have noticed in several places (Nikwax, Grangers I think and on clothing) that should not be dried in direct sunlight. I have no scientific reasons to back this up, only that I have read it Very Happy
I did put mine out on a sunny day, but inside out so hopefully haven't done any damage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lou, Interesting, our line is in dappled sunlight under some trees so again hopefully not too much damage done here either. Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, You need to heat that DWR to activate it... so either iron or tumble dry...

Normally Goretex should be washed regularly and ironed after the wash... Reproof as needed... Not sure about the insulation as I have Gore shells
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lou, so don't wear your ski kit on days where it's sunny after rain??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, now that would be scary Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Man has Goretex come a long way. Years ago I had a Berghaus Asgard Extreme Goretex Shell which was a lot like the TNF Mountain Jacket. Anyway one wash in Nikwax Techwash at 30 degrees on a gentle cycle killed it. Crying or Very sad I haven't worn a Goretex jacket since and now ski in Ventile which due to it's superior breathability is well suited to skiing but pretty useless in the wet after a couple of hours.

Still use Goretex pants as I like a dry bum when I sit in the snow snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy