Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Massive snowfall imminent in Swiss Alps, according to forecast

Poster: A snowHead
Just as an example, Meteonews.ch is predicting approximately 120mm of precipitation over Zermatt in the next 120 hours:

http://www.meteonews.ch/index.php?section=ch&page=general&spage=wetter_pch&lang=en&sub=06748000

That's a snow-equivalent of about 1.2m, so this could be interesting. Of course, these forecasts are often inaccurate, because the local levels of precipitation are so hard to predict.

Since Zermatt catches relatively little precipitation, I guess other parts of the Alps are expecting much more
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
About 70mm of precipitation forecast for the Wengen area during the same time, however with temps currently fairly well above freezing I doubt than much of it will fall as snow
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸ Davey „ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨ Boy ``°º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º
thanks for the link.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The blizzard's begun.

Before (yesterday - Sunday)
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/web-cam/findeln.html?0

Today (Monday)
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/web-cam/findeln.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What a phenomenal end to a great season.

Looks like snow right down to atleast 1500m.

Seriously thinking now about a final blast in May.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now how can I sneak away for ANOTHER weekend.......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, same! Just can't work out dates Evil or Very Mad Maybe even set things up well for late May!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
damn and I had to pass up an opportunity to go next weekend
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That is absolutely astonishing! Poor farmers must be wondering about getting their animals outside now.

Anyone free for next weekend should head straight up to Triftji and the Stockhorn. The runs down to Gant were in awesomely good condition 2 weeks ago and can only be better now.

Not that I'm jealous Madeye-Smiley

Evil or Very Mad much
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin, unfortunately that sector of Zermatt's lift system closed on Saturday. Only the Furi/Schwarzsee/Klein Matterhorn lifts are open this week, and after 4 May there are only a handful of lifts on the glacier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had a couple of emails from snow-forecast.com concerning this storm. The first, on 24 April, predicted that it would start on the night of the 25-26. Not sure when the snow kicked off, but it seems to have been sometime this morning.

I've had another email this evening, predicting another 56cm of snow through tonight to Wednesday afternoon.

Looking at the Findeln webcam above (which is not that high) there's 30cm+ of new snow on the ground so far.

All in all, it's shaping up to be one of the major snowstorms of the winter. SLF are mapping the avalanche risk at level 4 for a large area of south-western Switzerland for tomorrow:

http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/gefahrenkarte/index_EN
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

That is absolutely astonishing

Not really. There are often big snowfalls in April, or even into May.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf wrote:
About 70mm of precipitation forecast for the Wengen area during the same time, however with temps currently fairly well above freezing I doubt than much of it will fall as snow

Well obviously they're no longer updating the snowdepths, but looking at the webcam snowline is about 1300-1350 meters.
Up at Kleine Scheidegg it looks like major dumpage.

Big dumps late april/begin may are definetly not uncommon though; this one is just a little bigger then normal...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, well I remain astonished at the speed and depth, epsecially since the mercury didn't go below zero in resort the whole week we were there, inculding overnight. Here in the Cotswolds snow in June isn't astonishing, just very shortlived.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the snowline is probably just above Wengen, Murren has a small amount perhaps 5 - 10cms in the village, Kleine Scheidegg has at least 30cm of fresh maybe more
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That is absolutely astonishing

Not really. There are often big snowfalls in April, or even into May.

To get 10cm down as low as 1000m, with roughly 30cm at 1500m and 50cm at 2000m, in very late-Apr, is rare.
snow report
The storm's lifted now, leaving absolutely superb conditions. I've not seen snow cover like this since I can remember. Check through the webcams menu on the left of the page:

http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/web-cam

The problem is that at least two-thirds of the lift system has now closed until next winter!
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
The storm's lifted now, leaving absolutely superb conditions. I've not seen snow cover like this since I can remember. .......

A sign of global cooling. Little Angel
ski holidays
This bulletin from the SLF details where the biggest snows came down:

http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/nationale_lawinenbulletins/index_EN

Quote:
The intensive and extremely heavy snowfall continued unabated on Tuesday. Since Monday along the Main Alpine Ridge from the Saastal to the Nufenen Pass and in western Ticino, there has been 100 to 150 cm of new snow. In southern Lower Valais and in the remaining regions of Upper Valais, as well as on the Main Alpine Ridge from the Gotthard region to the Bernina and south thereof, there was 50 to 100 cm of snowfall.

And there's a prospect of more today:

Quote:
On Wednesday it will be heavily overcast with some bright spells in southern regions during the afternoon. In the eastern part of the northern flank of the Alps, in Ticino and in Grisons, 20 to 40 cm of new snow is expected, in the Bernina region up to 50 cm.

Then the temperature's set to rise, so I imagine there will be some big slides.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
This bulletin from the SLF details where the biggest snows came down:

http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/nationale_lawinenbulletins/index_EN

Quote:
The intensive and extremely heavy snowfall continued unabated on Tuesday. Since Monday along the Main Alpine Ridge from the Saastal to the Nufenen Pass and in western Ticino, there has been 100 to 150 cm of new snow. In southern Lower Valais and in the remaining regions of Upper Valais, as well as on the Main Alpine Ridge from the Gotthard region to the Bernina and south thereof, there was 50 to 100 cm of snowfall.

And there's a prospect of more today:

Quote:
On Wednesday it will be heavily overcast with some bright spells in southern regions during the afternoon. In the eastern part of the northern flank of the Alps, in Ticino and in Grisons, 20 to 40 cm of new snow is expected, in the Bernina region up to 50 cm.

Then the temperature's set to rise, so I imagine there will be some big slides.

and floods, eventually.
ski holidays
A French woman was killed in what sounds like an absolute nightmare situation with two avalanches at the Col des Ecandies on the Haute Route Sad
http://www.lenouvelliste.ch/fr/news/valais/l-imprudence-une-maladie-mortelle_9-140556
latest report
Villages in the Saas Valley were reported earlier today to have been cut off by the snowfall. This report from SwissInfo:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Heavy_spring_snowfall_cuts_off_villages.html?siteSect=204&sid=10633469&cKey=1241016504000&ty=nd
snow conditions
According to the Piste report in Cervinia, 39" or 1.1 metres of fresh snow has fallen there.

Global warming, looks more like the next ice-age to me.

Just hope it preseves the glaciers a bit more this year
latest report
arlberg, I'll let you know how they are holding up wink
snow report
This webcam on the Schwarzsee gives a good visual clue to the new snow depth. Take a look at the bench:

Now you see it (last Saturday):

http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/web-cam/schwarzsee.html?5

Now you don't:

http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/web-cam/schwarzsee.html

I should think there's a metre of new snow there, and I've never seen that bench buried.
ski holidays
I've looked on the skiclubs facebook pages and they say187cm of new powder in Zermatt Shocked
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/Ski-Club-of-Great-Britain/55063883108?ref=mf
snow report
I can confirm, the amounts of snow here in Switzerland=lots wink
ski holidays
arv, la-la-la [fingers in ears]... can't hear you.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schuss in Boots, I can't hear you either, the live music is too loud wink
snow conditions
arv, NehNeh Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy