Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When are edges finished?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Legend 8000 which have served me well, and might convert to decent touring skis, but they lack edge hold on hard pack or icy crust. Maybe the edges need a total reshape by someone with the right knowhow, but they are looking a bit thin to me. I dont trust the ski shops in the London area. I would be prepared to get my own grind kit and DIY it, but it may be a waste of time. Is there a rule of thumb to decide when edges are beyond retrieval?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dickyb wrote:
Is there a rule of thumb to decide when edges are beyond retrieval?

It's when you are sliding sideways helplessly down a slope in a state of total panic.

Seriously, just take them to a reliable technician who can advise you on whether there is enough edge left to sharpen. I guess there are plenty London based Snowheads who could point you to one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dickyb, my slalom skis last fine until they get down to about 0.3-0.5mm edge thickness, but an off-piste ski may need a bit more, as they'll take more in the way of rock-shots. Somehow I ripped the edge off my 8000s with about 1.3mm edge left (I think I may have hockey stopped over a very thinly covered access plate or similar bit of metal underneath the telepherique at Argentiere Sad ). The other thing to bear in mind is whether the ski has gone soft along its length - that will probably have nearly as much effect on edge grip on hard snow as will the edge sharpness.

But if grip on hardpack is the problem, one can always look at technique... Wink .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a similar problem with edging skis as I took a chunk out of my old K2 PE's, my dad then bought a kit being the DIY kinda guy tried to repair them by himself. I t was a big mistake and we took a valuable lesson from it, make sure you know what your doing as it is easy to take too much off. Blush
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, They seem pretty stiff still. Cant be my technique that's impeccable. Little Angel So must be the edges. They have about 2mm left so should be retrievable. If I cant find a trustworthy technician in London will have a go at DIY, although surfsuperstar's point taken!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dickyb, See www.jonsskituning.co.uk or www.tognar.com
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dickyb, (re edge hold....no comment Wink ). 2mm - then you've got years in those still! I recently had mine done a couple of times at Bartletts in Hillingdon (I normally do my own, but this time there was just too much for me to really DIY) and their tech seems a good guy. We had a bit of a talk about what needed to be done and that's pretty much what it came out as. Was much less happy with previous services I'd had at S&R Chertsey - basically bug all base left after a couple of mild services - after which I decided to do my own wherever possible.

If it's just edges, I'd offer to do them for you myself, but it's probably not worth the trek to get them to me. While DIY Ptex candling is OK for base shots, you also do get a better job done by someone with the full kit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dickyb, have sent you a PM
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy