Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In praise of 'spring skiing'

Poster: A snowHead
Have just come back from a long weekend in Avoriaz and thought I'd post a little note to say what a flipping good time we had.

From reading a lot of threads/posts before going, I thought I'd be fitting in a few hours of decent skiing in the morning, then spending the afternoon in the pub watching the pistes slowly melt/disintergrate. But I'm very happy to say that managed 9-5 skiing for all four days of our stay Very Happy

First two days (Fri and Sat) we awoke to a fresh layer of snow - and pretty much ideal conditions. Conditions remained good right into afternoon.

Sunday and Monday were far, far warmer, with no snow ... but again, perfectly skiiable. We had to be more careful with choice of runs during the afternoon - but with a little planning we managed to find plenty of great skiing(sunny slopes in the morning to avoide icy pistes / higher areas, not in direct sun, in the afternoon to avoid slush/soup).

So I'm a convert!

Lots of skiing. Quiet slopes. No queuing. A tan. What more can you ask for Cool

But, shhhhh ... don't tell everyone wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed,
Val Thorens last week. Skied all day everyday. Upper pistes perfect. Skiing slush lower down was as much fun as anything else just another challenge just dont let the skis go to far across the fall line. And we got a proper powder day thrown in. As the legs got tired towards the end of week icy bumps were hardest challenge again I found skiing the fallline was the best solution to this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shhh, it's rubbish, stick to half term
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, Maybe I just dream't that wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Third year in a row I have done spring skiing and I agree It's crap!! (awesome!!) Got back from Morzine last week after four days of snow, sun and beers by 3pm!
Might try the fourth year in a row next year and see if it can improve at all!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I pretty much always go skiing in March these days. As long as it's not Easter it's not that busy, it's usually a bit warmer and the snow can be a bit of a gamble lower down, but higher up it's normally fantastic. This season in Courmayeur was no exception. Last season in Kitzbuhel, there was no snow at resort level and the only runs kept open were slushy and patchy, but the snow from the top of the Hahnenkamm upwards was great. I've never been as late as Easter though, not an easy time for me to get leave from work...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia wrote:
I've never been as late as Easter though, not an easy time for me to get leave from work...

you the Easter bunny?? Shocked

me likey the additional bluebirds, settled weather and daylight hours in spring
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slush + Shamans = Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late-Feb to early-May is easily the best period for skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep - over here in the Pacific Northwest the spring skiing is a highlight of the year. There's a 4m base at places like Mt Bachelor in Oregon, they stay open until at least May 17th and have a spring season pass for 129 bucks. There's also Whistler, open until early June before they go to glacier season.

Pics from Mt Bachelor last weekend:

http://cid-af2dd3cc35cc7adf.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/Mt%20Bachelor,%20Oregon,%20April%202009?ref=1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

But, shhhhh ... don't tell everyone

Some of us already know that for a looong time! Wink

I don't even bother skiing before New Year. I wait will there's at least 10 feet of snow depth before venturing away from home. So there's never any doubt about snow being there, even though the consistancy might vary.

I don't consider March being "late" nor "spring". For me, March is solidly mid-season! April and May is when sun and slush needs to be considered, depending on resort. For some high resorts, even first half of April is still powdery mid-season condition most years.

Genergally, I prefer to pick a resort that has piste goes up to over 3000m and have more than one aspect. So I can pick and choose which piste to ski depends on the day's temperature.

Now if only resorts don't all shut down their lift in mid-April, with 10 metre of snow left of the slope... Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, The season in North America is different to the season in Europe. Certainly in Canada and the Northern US states, it tends to finaih about a month later than Europe, so "spring skiing" is also likely to be a few weeks later.

And in Europe, if you waited for 10 feet of snow depth, you wouldn't ski at all in most resorts in many years!

Evne this year, a lot of resorts never got that depth (although I think most of the higher ones did), and this was generally a good year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yay, We Love Slush!! snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
abc, The season in North America is different to the season in Europe. Certainly in Canada and the Northern US states, it tends to finaih about a month later than Europe, so "spring skiing" is also likely to be a few weeks later.

And in Europe, if you waited for 10 feet of snow depth, you wouldn't ski at all in most resorts in many years!

Evne this year, a lot of resorts never got that depth (although I think most of the higher ones did), and this was generally a good year.

I was at St Moritz first week of April. There were tons of snow, and will be there at least till the end of April. Didn't see even a grain of dirt on the piste.

Maybe not exactly 10 feet. But generally, I wait for a good deep consistant base before I book anything. So that even if there's a warm spell between the time I book and the time I got on a plane, I won't be hopping from one patch of ice to the next, dodging brown earth.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been boarding and now skiing for 14 years. I hadn't been any time but spring until 3 years ago Cool

Pandas are beautiful Toofy Grin

RPF, when yolu say skiing the fall line is the way, I'm thinking you are pointing your skis down and bombing it, bouncing or not. Surely not?
ski holidays
Quote:

when yolu say skiing the fall line is the way, I'm thinking you are pointing your skis down and bombing it, bouncing or not. Surely not?

No Toofy Grin I am making turns . I mean making sure the skis dont go too far perpendicular to the fallline on the turns so I keep edge grip and dont skid the tails on hard snow. When the legs are tired maintaining a good rhythm is less tiring than stoping and starting but I sometimes have to consciously remind myself of this.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Quote:

But, shhhhh ... don't tell everyone

I don't even bother skiing before New Year. Sad

Spring skiing rocks...but you're also missing out if you never ski before new year! Early season is superb too! snowHead
ski holidays
Joanne Mountainsun, if I live closer to the mountain, I would.

But I don't want to make ttravel plans for skiing in early December and there's only the glacier ice to slide on.

(no, I don't ski X'mas - New Year week, and as a consequence, I don't know what people are talking about "crowde and dangerous piste").
ski holidays
queen bodecia, March is not really spring skiing - it's mid-season. check out my snow reports!

Personally I love spring snow and don't mind slush unless it's gets more than ankle deep. Very Happy The week that always books up first for me is the week before easter (regardless of dates).
snow report
Quote:

Spring skiing rocks...but you're also missing out if you never ski before new year

I had the pleasure of a week in Obergurgl over Xmas, so had the best of both worlds. It was great too - just in a completely different way Very Happy

I guess the difference (for me at least), is that I was really quite worried about what late April conditions were going to be like ... especially as Avoriaz isn't that high. So it really was an unexpected surprise quite how much fun it was!
latest report
easiski wrote:
queen bodecia, March is not really spring skiing - it's mid-season. check out my snow reports!

Personally I love spring snow and don't mind slush unless it's gets more than ankle deep. Very Happy The week that always books up first for me is the week before easter (regardless of dates).

That's the same week that appeals to me the most. Smile And I always consider slush to be the "poor man's powder"! That is, if one is not lucky enough to be living at the mountain nor luck out on one's holiday week, slush comes the closest to powder. Wink

And so far, I have yet to find Easter (the week or even the weekend itself) particularly busy by any standard. Perhaps more "busy" than the week before or after. But that's often the difference between 5 people on the piste vs 2!
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

Most US resorts are closed by mid-April with some notable exceptions like A-Basin, Loveland, Bachelor, Mammoth, Snowbird, Squaw, etc...seems like this is pretty similar to Europe where I know many of the high altitude resorts are open until the end of April with some having summer glacier skiing...
snow report
easiski, fair enough. March works best for me as it's easy to get time off work then (as long as it's not Easter school holidays) and I've found January to be a little chilly...

Not keen on slush myself, I find it difficult to turn in and the sticky stuff that stops you dead in your tracks is the worst of all. But in fairness I've only encountered it a handful of times...
latest report
Pros: Sun; Spring snow (awesome when you find the real deal); Quieter pistes; Good precipitation record with high chance of fresh powder; Soft moguls; Little risk of losing a weeks skiing through lack of snow or protracted blizzards; No flight diversions (Chambery). Snow chains unlikely. End of season sales.

Cons: Slush; Boiler plate; Fresh powder & off-piste deteriorate quickly. The end of day resort run. Sunburn.
ski holidays
I will happily dodge brown earth, streams, rocks, any obstacles, if it is an opportunity to ski a mountain that is big enough.

I've done burn hopping in Scotland which was fun but would be even more fun on a moutain that is 2 or 3 times as high!

If the runs are long... snowHead
latest report
Quote:

For some high resorts, even first half of April is still powdery mid-season condition most years.

See here for reports of powder earlier this week at Val D/Tignes:
http://www.alpineexperience.com/news.html

Off there in six days time. Can't wait Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy