Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do if you witness an avalanche?

Poster: A snowHead
[EDIT] Sorry - the poll function's on the blink ... now deleted ....

A quick poll - don't cheat! You're in the French Alps, and you see an avalanche. So who do you call on your mobile? Assuming you carry a mobile, or there's someone nearby who has one. If you think you know the answer, whether or not you usually carry a mobile, tick the appropriate box. Please don't google for the answer, it would be interesting to see just what percentage of snowHeads actually know!

This is a brief - and very basic - summary of key actions to take.... (from Didier's book "Les Clés du Paradiski", see post in SnowNews...)

- If someone has been caught up in the accident and you witness the avalanche taking place, try to keep your eyes glued on him/her, and mentally mark the place where he/she disappears.

- Phone the rescue services immediately. If you have a signal, don't move about much. The signal can be lost by just moving a couple of feet when in the mountains.

- If there are enough of you to start a search, send someone off immediately to get help.

- Before you move onto the avalanche debris, try to ascertain that there is no risk of a second one. If need be, designate a watchman.

- Visually scan the surface for any clues - a ski pole, a ski, or better still, a hand or foot sticking out of the snow.

- On the surface mark the disappearance point of each buried person.

- If equipped with ARBs, make sure that everyone has switched to receiving mode - this applies to new people arriving on the scene.

- If not equipped with ARBs, probe the snow in the most likely areas with your pole (remove the basket first by trapping between your feet and pulling) - or a slope marker, if there's one nearby.

- Make as little noise as possible, and listen.

The rest depends on luck, and your first aid skills, until the ski patrol gets to the scene. Never hesitate to alert the authorities - it may be embarrassing to call for help when it turns out to be unnecessary, but the alternative could be disastrous if it transpires that someone's life depended on it. Every second counts.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-01-05 11:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like the poll function is on the blink again..... We'll start from scratch when admin has sorted it....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good question PG. I voted for "Didn't have a clue", but the poll results aren't showing. Is the phone number the same for all countries?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don;t carry a mobile, but if I did see an avalanche, I'd be straight down to the nearest liftie / psiteur / ski school monitor, all of whm I wqould expect to have radio or phone contact with the authorities.

Living in France as you do I'd expect you to have a mobile, but on our last holiday, of 12 people, only 4 carried mobiles - all were english mobiles paid for by the company. I, and OI'd expect many other, don;'t even bother taking my mobile as it costs so much to use in france
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, I've found the answer to my question myself - yes it is.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No reason not to 'internationalise' the poll. snowHeads witness avalanches all over the globe. Who do you call if you're in the USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, Scotland, Japan, India ... or, say, Mount Etna?

In my case I guess I'd just start yodelling - 'emergency yodelling' - to the gods, wherever I am. I don't carry a mobile!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, It was a 'trick' question - to confuse people that may have been unaware of the existence of the international number rolling eyes snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure about the logistics of this, but many people now carry walkie talkies, which seem cross brand compatible. So would it make sense for resorts to have an emergency channel or band to facilitate a quick response? I appreciate that it would entail advertising the band or frequency at lift stations, and it would also rely upon remembering the band. Getting a strong signal is also as consideration, but if it raises the potential to save lives then is it worth it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm, googling is showing a dostinct lack of numbers to call to report an avalanche. not that I'm doubting that such a number exists, but as an experienced web user if I can;t find it easily, how is the information to be spread?

And no, I wan;t aware that there was a single number to call in any instance
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it better to call the international number or the number of the local avalanche office?

Local avalance office numbers are available on most resorts web sites.

I would suppose the international number operator would be more likely to speak English, but talking to the local avalanche office would be talking to the right people straight away.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would look on my piste plan for an emergency number, assuming there wasn't a professional (eg a pisteur) around. I'm ashamed to say I don't know off pat, and I don't know if piste plans have emergency numbers, though I hope and imagine so (none to hand at the moment). I await the definitive answer!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a quick Google has confirmed that I got the right answer (Dan - search for "international emergency telephone number" and the first result gives a table of numbers around the world).

interestingly, the European number also works in the UK. I think that I did know this once, but had since forgotten.

but here I must be honest - although I picked the right number from the list because I vaguely recalled knowing the number from somewhere, I could not be sure that I would remember that number when on the slopes having just witnessed an avalanche. In fact, I am pretty sure that I would not.

I think that my first reaction would be to check the back of my lift pass for the local emergency number.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, I'm just looking at the La Rosire piste map which lists piste security, lifts and tourist office numbers for both La Rosiere and La Thuile in 6 languages. It also very clearly states emegency assistance is not free of charge, insurance cover recommended.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not dan, and I was searching for report avalanche emergency tekephone
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt wrote:
I'm not dan, and I was searching for report avalanche emergency tekephone

ah yes, my apologies - i was confusing these three letter names/acronyms!
latest report
Most places I've skied either have local emergency numbers on the lift pass or piste map.
latest report
In Japan we call the ski patrol number....it's usually plastered all over the place and before we went 'hands free' was on the back of lift tickets. 'On mountain emergency number' in Whistler for the '02-'03 season was 604.935.5555. The only European 'plan de pistes' to hand...Les Houches... has only the usual 'renseignements' numbers so I'd probably ski to the nearest lift....getting a phone out, removing my glasses, searching for the emergency number etc. would take longer!
latest report
nbt, with your typing/spelling I'm surprised you ever find what you want on google snowHead
ski holidays
You might find this link useful; http://www.adrenalintrip.net/forums/viewtopic.php?siteid=95&topicdays=45&topic=77534&forum=1&2

Gives numbers for most of Europe and specific numbers for a load of the French resorts (mental note must print this out to take with me sometime - although from the weather in Sauze doesn't look like I'll need it! Sad )
snow report
When I arrive in the resort I take the emergency number from the piste maps and plug it into my phones contacts- also the PGHM one.
snow report
I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what to call and I would have my mobile. the only number definitley programmed in would be the chalet which I guess I could call if I'm the only one to witness the accident. i could also radio the other people in my party so we could informt he pisteurs pretty quickly I guess.

I just had a quick look at my St Johann in Tirol piste map (just came back from a week end there) and couldn't see a number. there may be one but if you can't see it easily when you are a bit panicky having witnessed an avalalanche then it is no good.
snow report
Often the resort brochures have some info. I usually email the resort tourist office before I go and get it sent. I most do France and its seems to be in a lot of their brochures. maybe a culture thing
latest report
For those assuming that the emergency number is on the piste map, check again. I am sure that you will find that you are mistaken.

I have just checked 6 maps from this year and last. 1 French, 3 Swiss and 2 Austrian. None had the 3 digit international emergency number. The French one had the tel. numbers for the first aid posts, but that was all. 2 Swiss ones had information about the avalanche severity numbering system and a web address - useful on the slopes, but no emergency number.
snow report
Have to admit, I've never checked for the number before Embarassed , but assume that the number to call is the Secours montagne?
ski holidays
Mark Hunter, Well seeing as the poll function hasn't worked - and I understand it won't be fixed for a little while....

It's not easy to remember numbers, but I've memorised the three digit number by word association, the date "1st of December", start of the season (well approximately!)
snow conditions
PG, sorry that was a little unclear - I did know the emergency number, but it was the resort numbers listed on the back of piste maps that I was referring to. I'd imagine that phoning them would be quicker/more direct.
ski holidays
Yes, you'd probably gain a minute or so if you had it handy - and that could make all the difference. But if not, the international system is pretty efficient.
ski holidays
And the International number is.......? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, the poll reflects my memory, I vacilated between 911 an 112 and finally plumped for the latter. I really should have known Embarassed but I share a mobile with my wife and don't often take it on ski holidays.

PG's advice above is good. Theoretically I know it all already, but would I get it all right in an emergency?
latest report
snowball, in the US you could use either number, since they both work from a mobile. Ski Patrol also monitor channels 9-11 on radios. Not much good though if you can't get a signal, or if you don't carry either a mobile or radio!
snow conditions
snowball, on a GSM mobile the emergency number is always 112 regardless of which country you are in. There may also be additional numbers you can call, (e.g 999, 911) but 112 gets priority from the network when establishing the call, meaning they will throw someone else off their call if there are no channels available.
Unfortunately there's no guarantee that the person you are calling is going to understand you. In Taiwan, 112 directs you at a taped announcement telling you which number to call for an emergency. Unfortunately the announcement is in Chinese! So you'd better not go skiing in Taiwan...
latest report
At the beginning of every holiday I tap in numbers to my mobile for my ski group, my chalet and the emergency number on the lift guide. Have not had to use the emergency number yet (touch wood). 112 is a good point Mike.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy