Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Giving up skiing

Poster: A snowHead
yes many times and i am not a great skier but i am not ready to turn off the light of life all you will end up doing is to watch the telly and its all rubbish.
perhaps you should join a younger group and teach them some of your experience it can be very rewarding and a great ego boost as well as feeding from
their adrenalin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think I am giving up as well, but only on certain parts

Yesterday the wife and I went to Ferrybridge service to pick a friend. We were early so drove into the Junction 32 which is one before Ferrybridge to have a look at Xscape indoor skiing facility.

A few years back the SH had a meeting here and so we joined in. This time we couldn't pick up any interest if someone offer us to ski there for free. The reason is we came back back from St Moritz this year and are no long that desperate.

Yes we are giving up on dry slope or may be indoor skiing domes, crowds, queues, traffic jams... but that is because we become selective.

We never ski for kicks. It is for the joy to do something outdoor in the winter. It is cold and lonely out there but when you are skiing it is a different world, especially you have someone to share it with.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

yes, the only time I've ever felt jaded with skiing was at the end of the one season I did. And I wasn't jaded so much with the skiing, as with the resort and the interminable ski-talk.

Ditto.

I could get bored with doing whole seasons but unfortunately since then I've never been able to get enough skiing done to get close to asking Chris's question.

Chris, have you worked 7 seasons in a ski resort? I'd have gone postal before getting jaded!

J
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chris, Will you be giving up Serre Chevalier too ?

I would not be minded to buy in a ski resort because there may come a time when snowsports lose their appeal, or I lose the fitness to take part. Cold, slippery mountain terrain may not suit the infirm - especially if they have not grown up with it.

Even the idea of a home built around golf course - where age would be less of an impediment - does not appeal.

Having said that I have not been to Serre Chevalier. I understand Briancon is the main town. That would have more appeal than a station de ski like Les Arcs for example.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oliver, If there are parts of this thread that you are having difficulty with its probably best to just accept the fact that one day you will understand rather than go and ask Mum and Dad what it all means Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, That's you off someone else's christmas list, "Mummy lady on snowHeads said I should ask you the best postion to use a camera on my helmet while making out" Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blockhead, there's more to do than just ski or watch TV you know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Even Dad is struggling to explain what it all means Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, Patch, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having seen the wild eyed crazy looking seasonaires(sp) at the end of the season may I suggest you a) get some sleep, b) stay off the booze for a while and c) leave the whizz alone altogether Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Skiing is a bit like making love! When youv'e tried everything, you don't just pack it in, you concentrate on the things you enjoy the most, doing them again and again, until it's just right. You may wish to time yourself, or make a recording. At the moment I am wearing a head cam. I have strapped it to my helmet!

You make love wearing a helmet!!!!???? RESPECT!! Twisted Evil And my partner tries to tell me bondage is kinky!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tatra Man, haven't you heard of safe sex wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont wrote:
haven't you heard of safe sex wink

Yes you just leave a false name and phone number. Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update.. my chalet is sold, I've got rid of all my gear (keeping the boots, just incase wink ) and now back in the UK. I don't miss the mountains, yet. Will be interesting how I will feel come November.
Anyway, had a great 7 years in France and have fantastic memories to last a lifetime. It was time to move on and try new adventures.
Lin and I would like to say thanks to all the snowHead 's we've met and skied with over the years in the Serre Che. Good times.
Can't imagine giving up snowHead 's just yet! Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chris, good luck to both of you. Where are you going to find all those summer walks in the UK?
ski holidays
chris, Finding it hard to fathom what you've just done! I'm the complete opposite end atm, everything is geared towards getting to a stage where I can move to Serre Che. Good luck to you though and I hope the skiing bug bites you again soon Smile
snow conditions
chris, ?????? Puzzled Puzzled That was quick... and definitive

Wish you and Lin all the best in your next adventure...
ski holidays
JulesB, cheers. Herefordshire does have plenty of walks, but not of the same quality of the SC. Haven't seen any Marmottes here yet!
latest report
JT, the chalet was sold in Febuary and completion date was the end of April. We tied up loose ends and came back last week. It sounds easy, but there was plenty of stress inbetween! Shocked
latest report
chris, enjoy the babysitting wink
latest report
chris, good luck to both you and Lin.
snow report
chris, was your decision purely a spiritual one, one of heart? Or were there other more prosaic reasons also?
snow report
chris, it was a pleasure to ski with you but a shame you won't be around when we head back to Serre Che - as we surely will, great place to ski Smile
latest report
chris, Good plan to hold on to the boots. You may find in the future you enjoy doing a week here or a week there in different ski areas.
snow report
chris, Wow! I hope you don't regret it and find something else soon that floats your boat.
latest report
I've been skiing for some 30 something years and find that I am just as keen as the day I started. Cool
I get great joy watching my granddaughter progressing with her snowboard.

I now have the bus pass and look forward to getting a discount ski pass. rolling eyes
snow report
I cannot imagine skiing in just one area - discovering new places is part of the buzz.

I can imagine getting tired of pistes - I already avoid them in general. Skiing where the natural snow is always different and often a challenge is part of it, but skiing somewhere far from anyone else where there are no tracks in the midst of wild mountain landscapes is the thrill I can't imagine getting tired of. Even if I could only walk there I would still do it.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 13-05-09 14:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowball, sounds great. Totally agree. Especially the bit about being far from anyone else!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like I'm going to need some more off-piste lessons. When's the next ropes session ? rolling eyes
latest report
I'm with snowball on this.... I can't get too enthused about skiing runs as in pistes all day, every day.
Unless there is something more exciting to go after then piste skiing loses it appeal pretty quickly. You will not get too tired of that nice untracked pitch in great snow and a bluebird day, but they aren't every day by any means.

I can certainly understand getting jaded about skiing.... but not about to stop going just yet.
snow conditions
Most are forgetting that the Op has spent several FULL seasons out their and not just a few weeks each season like us puntaaaahhhhs.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, true. How long do you reckon before the novelty of English curries wears off Chris?
snow conditions
JulesB, does it ever wear off?
snow conditions
This season I skiied 48 days, I imagine this is as many or more than some resort based folks who aren't actually professional on the mountain. On a couple of occasions especially if I was travelling to resort on my own, I did wonder 'what am I doing, I've only been home for a week', strangely whilst this feeling sometimes persisted up the cable car it always just evaporated at the top snowHead .

I could see getting jaded if I'd done what the OP has, but that's why he's doing the right thing in stepping back for a couple of years, bet after that he's well up for it again.
snow report
midgetbiker, yes, you are right of course.
Partly I'm just envious as I wish I had done a season when I was younger - but now, since my wife doesn't ski, I suppose I never will.
snow conditions
snowball, I would imagine if your wife was happy to relocate there are plenty season where you could do a 'season' and still have loads of other things going on. Apart from skiing every day the mountain town 'vibe' is really cool.
ski holidays
Well, she is head of teacher training at a London University. Perhaps when she retires in a few years, but I'm already 60...
ski holidays
snowball, don't despair. One of the many pleasures of being in the mountains all season is that you don't have to go at it for hours at a time. And you can take it easy with the skiing, too.
ski holidays
snowball, I was speaking to someone I know yesterday, she's 60 and just back from a season in Chamonix. Going again next year too. I think you have plenty time yet.
snow report
I hope so.

NehNeh to time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy