Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hestra Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of investing in a pair - I just wanted to know if the liners in them are removable?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are in some models, but not all. I think the Army GTX model (or whatever it's called; it's a big gauntlet glove) has removable liners.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ajpaul,

Good gloves. I got a pair this January after soliciting advice on this forum. -The Alpine Heli model. The liners are removable and breathable (so don't get stinky & sweaty).

As someone who's always suffered from cold fingers, I'm delighted to report that they've been toasty warm and comfortable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajpaul,

Seems a bit random really

Army Leather Heli Ski does
Army Leather Gore-Tex XCR doesn't
Army Leather Gore-tex XCR Shell does

Not sure about the rest but check out the Hestra site, it's in the small print there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have two pairs, really good
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got the Army Leather Gore-Tex XCR which doesn't but they are fantastic gloves. Highly rated.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that - looking forward to toasty fingertips next season Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought my first pair of Hestras this year and although they don't have removable liners they are a fantastic pair of gloves, far better than any other pair I've had previously and I haven't had cold fingers once this season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooops... Think my model is the Hestra XCR Short Glove.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The most important thing about Hestra gloves is of course that they're "dexterous as f_ck" (TGR TM).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, I use mine for ice climbing too... great for placing screws.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the gauntlet gloves - maybe 120 - 140 ski days and still great.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought a pair of Army Leather Gore-Tex XCR earlier this season.

No removable liners but very impressed so far - seem durable and are definitely the warmest gloves I've used (I suffer from cold fingers). They are too warm for spring skiing though - above 0C I revert to my older gloves (Dakine something or other).

The Hestra's also have 'idiot straps' - great when faffing around on chair lifts etc.

As an aside, I expect prices to be higher next season since this years UK stock was purchased by ski shops when the GBP:EUR rate was more favourable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought the Heli Ski gloves this weekend, and very lovely they are too. With regards to the removeable liner, does anyone know if it's machine washable - there aren't any washing instructions with 'em?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Amazing gloves, never heard a criticism from a wearer about their heat retentive properties, as a reynauds sufferer I am especially glad as they allow me to ski. I recommend them to all cold hand suffers unequivocally.
snow conditions
Anyone know of a place to buy Hestra with a bit of a discount? Great gloves, but not cheap.
ski holidays
I have heli three-finger gloves and they have removeable five-finger liners.
ski holidays
I bought the Army Leather 3-finger Mitt a couple of years ago and they are toasty toasty. rob@rar, I bought mine in 47 Degrees but it was end of season and they had a sale on - I think they were about £40. Not sure where you might get a similar deal this time of year, though.
latest report
Blues ski shop has a 50% sale I think they do online. As did Ellis-Brigham.com

I bought a pair of leather palmed Versant-Nord (for those cold scottish and Norwegian mountain tops) for only £35. RRP £70 last month. Happy

Cheers
Bob
snow report
Do any of the Hestra glove/mitten fans have any experience with Black Diamond or Marmot offerings? I've got the Black Diamond Mercury Mitt but still get cold fingers....

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/gloves/mercury-mitt

Was thinking about getting the Black Diamond "Absolute" or Mountain Equipment "Redline" this year for cold days but I'm not sure how durable they'll be.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/gloves/absolute-mitt
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Mountain-Equipment-Redline-Mitt.html

The Army Leather GTX XCR Mitten from Hestra looks a tougher construction but will it be warmer than my Black Diamond Mercurys?

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/acatalog/Hestra_Army_Leather_GTX_XCR_Mitten.html

I definitely want something warmer but also want something durable as I seem to be able wear out even durablegloves around the thumbs - guess it's how I carry my skis.

Thanks,
Bob
snow conditions
lot of luv for Hestra ?? Laughing
snow report
I'll luv 'em even more if somebody tells me whether or not I can wash the removeable liner Smile
snow report
ajpaul, Since it is likely to be the warmth layer, then why not wash them..?

If it is a fleece them they can be worn as both inners and outers.

The only thing you want to protect, IMV, would be the waterproof outer layer..

But there are quality glooves other than Hestra.
snow conditions
bobinch wrote:
Do any of the Hestra glove/mitten fans have any experience with Black Diamond or Marmot offerings? I've got the Black Diamond Mercury Mitt but still get cold fingers....

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/gloves/mercury-mitt

Was thinking about getting the Black Diamond "Absolute" or Mountain Equipment "Redline" this year for cold days but I'm not sure how durable they'll be.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/gloves/absolute-mitt
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Mountain-Equipment-Redline-Mitt.html

The Army Leather GTX XCR Mitten from Hestra looks a tougher construction but will it be warmer than my Black Diamond Mercurys?

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/acatalog/Hestra_Army_Leather_GTX_XCR_Mitten.html

I definitely want something warmer but also want something durable as I seem to be able wear out even durablegloves around the thumbs - guess it's how I carry my skis.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, I had a pair of Hestras and have superceded them with a pair of Black Diamond gauntlets. The Black Diamonds are warmest gloves I've ever had by a long stretch. Possibly not a fair comparison though, as the Hestras were smaller and less bulky! I have realised the importance of layering up one's torso and arms in the quest to keep warm hands though.
snow conditions
ajpaul wrote:
I'll luv 'em even more if somebody tells me whether or not I can wash the removeable liner Smile

30 degrees, treat as wool.
ski holidays
Hestra Army = great.
Black Diamond Guide = just as great.

(One other excellent option would be the Degre7 Deer glove. Slush & Rubble had them on sale for £30 (£35?) earlier, not sure about now - an absolutely brilliant, warm, durable glove).
ski holidays
bobinch wrote:

i'm a big fan of Marmot Work gloves for something toasty and hard wearing
latest report
I purchased a pair of hestra gloves in a sale a couple of years ago and they were the best gloves i ever owned,then one of the seams on the fingers started to come unstitched,the shop where i purchased them had gone into liquidation so i contacted the uk importer he was really helpful and sent the gloves back to sweden, a few weeks later a brand new pair of goretex gloves arrived in the post result,the best customer service i have ever received from any company.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, do you have the Marmot Work or Marmot Basic Work gloves? I did a google and it says both are suitable for skiing... Puzzled

Marmot Work:
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Marmot-Work-Glove.html

Marmot Basic Work:
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Marmot-Basic-Work-Glove.html

The Basic gloves looks nice and dextrous which is what I am looking.
latest report
ajpaul wrote:

Washed my liners by hand several times. Just a gentle warm hand wash, with no Fabric conditioner, then drip dry. No problems.
ski holidays
Snowbunny - thanks for that Very Happy
snow conditions
streaky, the Work ones
on my second pair after losing one down the Aig Rouge in Les Arcs, which was annoying given that I got them for about £40 and everywhere seems to want £70+ for them Mad
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
bobinch wrote:

i'm a big fan of Marmot Work gloves for something toasty and hard wearing

Me too... i've been using the Work Gloves since about 2000 and only gone through 2 pairs !!
ski holidays
I'd like to try the Hestra gloves - the dextrous bit sounds good, as I find many ski gloves far too stiff for my arthritic fingers to handle. But it's not too easy to find a shop with a stock. Maybe Le Vieux Campeur? Are the Hestra jobs really soft and cuddly?
ski holidays
rob@rar, join PSIA and get the pro price! Shocked Razz snowHead
snow report
pollittcl wrote:
rob@rar, join PSIA and get the pro price! Shocked Razz snowHead

Heard today that pro prices from Hestra might be on their way through BASI Smile All my campaigning is coming to fruition!
latest report
I have found the best gloves ....and they aren't Hestra

perfectomondo Laughing
snow report
JT wrote:
I have found the best gloves ....and they aren't Hestra

perfectomondo Laughing

We all know kitten fur lined Goretex is the way forward, but shhh... some people don't approve of it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy