Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megamum Down

Poster: A snowHead
While perfecting her swing turns Megamum threw in an impromptu 180 and 'almost' landed it. The net effect being a sprained ankle! Sad
Contributory factors being:- speed, deep fresh snow, flat light and intermittent zero vizability.

With a little rest, the odd beer she still hopes to be up and about Friday and Saturday. Very Happy

The story gets better with each telling, (and beer) and currently starts " i was on a black, almost off piste" . Rather than I was dashing down Moraine. Laughing

The patient is resting quietly (there has to be a first time) and planning her return to Orelle!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BMF_Skier, By 6pm she will telling us that she was in da park testin' her new sick twintips wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMF_Skier, ankle up with a bag of snow on it? Could help the beer's medicinal qualities. wink

Assuming the French fishermen do not blockade the tunnel, I hope we train EOSBers still see you guys on Sunday.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, The worst patients are those with some first aid training. I'm dealing with a 'trained' St John First Aider, (god help me) who will not sit still ! Toofy Grin
Frosty the Snowman, She was doing so well on that run, then she tried to stop! A classic mistake! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BMF_Skier, just quote "RICE" at her and take charge of the situation.

Good luck Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hope it doesn't spoil the rest of your holiday....beer and rest, I'm sure that's what St John's would advise!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
[b].....take charge of the situation.......
Shocked Some hope! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BMF_Skier, Sad Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope she heals quickly so you both can get out on the fresh Smile

It's always a mistake to stop when it's going so well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier, give her my best - and tell her to behave properly as a patient Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick L, I'll probably have to threaten to cut off her beer supply before I get any co-operation !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum welcome to the world of the park skier Laughing Hope it heals quickly for you
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMF_Skier, wish her a speedy recovery. Sounds like an excuse for early beer to me!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMF_Skier, beer is almost certainly contraindicated. Weak beef tea would be more like it. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, killjoy, She's on holiday. Wink
latest report
Oh Megamum Sad You don't want to be turning so much, turns are dangerous, and stopping even worse Toofy Grin

Does this mean BMF_Skier will be cooking dinner tonight?

ps. get better soon Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w, If I offered her weak beef tea, i'd never hear the end of it. Shocked
Anyone that met Megamum at last years EoSB will have noticed the recouperative effect that beer has with her. Particularly the two large beers consumed after the run down Fond!
She's up and about causing mayhem at the moment, so we have a chance that she'll be ski-ing on Friday. Very Happy
ski holidays
OK, the beer has worn off sufficiently for me to type. Gutted at the waste of good snow this afternoon Skullie

The annoying thing was I was doing so well Evil or Very Mad All off a sudden I was getting rather better acquainted with the snow that I would normally had done so, the ankle went 'ouch' the toe rolled out of the binding and I was doing an impression of an undignified heap in the snow rather than the very picture of competent 'shooshy' person I had felt like a moment before rolling eyes Everything finally came to a dead stop, and to begin with I thought it best just to lie still and cope with the pain whilst I decided whether it was bloody painful because something very diabolical had happened or whether it was bloody painful, but I'd probably not done anything irretrievable to it. Luckily in the finish I decided that the latter applied and after swearing at it decided that I could probably still do vertical so gingerly got up (not easy in a foot of fresh deep snow). BMF_Skier, had done the 'safe stuff' and I discovered that we were protected by crossed poles and skis and were probably the centre of attention of everyone that skied past Embarassed I clipped into the skis and decided that I could just about still ski if I took it very carefully, it was plenty 'Ouch', but I limped back to the appt.

I RICEd it on returning took painkillers and sat with it up and put an elastic bandage on it - luckily its not swollen (however, it is definitely 'ouch'). I tend to think its best to keep it moving a bit and later on this afternoon I put some ankle support walking boots on and we meandered around town - I took the ski poles and limped. On the strength of that performance I'm hopeful that, even if it is 'ouch' that it will still do what it should and hopefully if I take painkillers tomorrow I might still be able to ski, afterall, only two more days to last and if painkillers will let me ski a bit I'm soddin' well going to do so. I can get it better at home.

Thanks for all the best wishes folks - still hopeful that I can catch up with some of you on Saturday. We are checking out here at 0930.
snow conditions
keeping my fingers crossed for you, can't let you waste all that snow. wink
snow conditions
Megamum, hope it's calmed down by the weekend. Good excuse for everyone to wait on you for a couple of days... Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, oh dear, sorry to hear that Sad But at least you are up & walking on it, so fingers crossed...

Megamum wrote:
I'm hopeful that, even if it is 'ouch' that it will still do what it should and hopefully if I take painkillers tomorrow I might still be able to ski, afterall, only two more days to last and if painkillers will let me ski a bit I'm soddin' well going to do so. I can get it better at home.

That's the spirit! Ibuprofen is your friend Toofy Grin

Btw, I'm not sure about the beer treatment. I think gin is called for... Twisted Evil
snow report
Beer, gin, ibuprofen, sheer bloody determination, no hint of a doctor .... Is this Megamum or, remembering another thread, Megamum's Mum? Madeye-Smiley

Hope you are skiing again soon.
ski holidays
Megamum, take it on the chin......and little dings like these are statistically good for you over the years.. wink
snow conditions
Megamum, At least it was a decent accident & not tripping over on the way to the bootroom wink

Hope you're up & about soon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, Healing vibes.

Can't help wondering though how you can sprain an ankle inside a ski boot, was it very loose?
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Megamum, take it on the chin......and little dings like these are statistically good for you over the years.. wink

That's what she'll be doing if she takes advice from RachelQ on how to land jumps Laughing Laughing Laughing

Megamum, At least ski boots are a little like a splint. Take things easy and keep on with the beer ya mad stunt skier Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
Megamum, Healing vibes.

Can't help wondering though how you can sprain an ankle inside a ski boot, was it very loose?

Must say I wondered about that too. It is really important in all that deep soft ski-grabbing stuff to make sure your top clips are tight enough to hold your boot closely round your leg (though not to the extent of your toes turning blue and falling off Laughing)
snow report
the ankle can be sprained in a boot the same way a leg can be broken.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bad news Megamum, Sad keep poppin the pills. Voltarol gel is great stuff (think they call it Voltarin in France). Allways read the label Blush
snow report
nbt, ccl, Its more like a torn\ stretched ligament, or what ever those bits that hold the ankle \foot together are called. It was a backward twisting fall down the slope after a dramatic 180. Shock It's a good job the binding released or we may be talking about something rather worse.
It is responding to treatment (beers). wink
ski holidays
It sounds like the sort of thing which could feel worse tomorrow. Sad
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
the ankle can be sprained in a boot the same way a leg can be broken.

Yes, of course. My posting wasn't clear. What I wondered was if Megamum's boot had been at all loose around the leg, not how you sprain an ankle inside a ski boot. My advice stays though: an ankle injury is more likely with a loose-fitting boot so keep these clips firm.

For what it's worth, if it's a stretched or torn ligament, it's a sprain: if it's tendon or muscle it's a strain. Which pedantic contribution is of course no consolation or help to Megamum - so just keep drinking the beers, dear. Little Angel

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 16-04-09 19:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
It can be easy to twist the ankle round and wrench the joint inside the boot. Much easier to get over than twisted knees though Toofy Grin
latest report
Ah right I see, Mrs NBT had a similar fall in Fernie some years back, she tore a calf muscle. SHe was on crutches for a day or two but was skiing within four or five
ski holidays
Hey... if slingman can race with one arm.... Puzzled Laughing
snow report
PMSL at the OP.

Get well soon girlie!
ski holidays
bar shaker, judging by the beers swilled, you may be right wink
latest report
Megamum, good luck tomorrow and hope to see you on the slopes on Saturday Little Angel
ski holidays
Woke today and ankle had done the 'swelling' thing. Was bloody painful, but would take weight although it wasn't keen on a feet in one place with the body rotating above, or the action of rolling forward as part of a walking action. Decided to strap it up, pop some painkillers and see if it would ski. Once I had them on my ski boots seemed to hold everything in one place, which I think helped overall - certainly less painful than walking in my trainers. The Retour certainly tested my resolve at 0845 this morning - rock hard corduroy for most of the length and beyond all the way down to Moutiere chair. Was in two minds whether to bottle it and sit in 2 lacs restaurant whilst BMF_Skier played with his new toys, but he dangled Orelle under my nose and suggested that the recent snow might make it a doable proposition for the first time this week. Mindful of that ruddy red that got the better of me last year I thought, well nothing ventured etc. and we went over. I skied most of the red, but that section that I had problems with last year looked like an icy billiard table and with the dodgy ankle I thought it would be silly to try it (though these days I could have skied it on good legs), then we went up the Peyron chair and had the blue which made a change. Then came back via Niverolle and Rhodos (which today had lost its pussy cat tendancies of earlier on in the week Evil or Very Mad ) I then picked the kids up from ski school and returned with them via Cascade chair and Dalles. This afternoon, we did Dalles again with the kids, and picked up the Moraine chair to ski the scene of the original accident just to wipe the slate clean. The ankle protested until suitabley kicked into touch with pain killers, going through various connotations of 'ouch', pins and needles, pain, and then blissful numbness when the drugs kicked in Toofy Grin

Needless to say the ankle is still swollen and it hurts across the outside of the ankle joint and down the front of the foot (I wonder why rolling eyes ) and having spent all evening loading the car which was about 1/4 mile away I now have it propped up on some pillows and a chair with fingers crossed that I can ski with folks tomorrow in the same way. I still don't know if I have done anything critical to it, I'll have to see how things go once I get home when if necessary I can go and see my GP to see what they say.
ski holidays
Megamum, keep it up, only one day to go then you can rest it up for the year until it snows again Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy