Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

The Montafon/Silvretta area is also well served by the same airports with superb snow and is linked in with Samnaun in Switzerland and Glatur/Ischgl without the expensive prices.

As a matter of interest how are they linked? I was not aware of a link but am interested in doing Ischgl on the cheap, went to Kappl this year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T Bar, The links are via Galtür I believe which I know was linked in. I've been out of action for 3 seasonsdue to injury so I'm not up-to-date on the actual status of the the links that were being planned the last time I was down that way. A friend was in Samnaun a season or so again and she said the had a pass for the Galtür/Ischgl area included on the area pass.

Take a look at the area on www.galtuer.com/en-index.htm

Sue wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 16-04-09 18:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl is linked with Samnaum but not Galtur. You can buy a pass for Ischgl/Samnaum or Galtur or both but you can't ski from the former to the latter via a lift system. However, I believe there is talk of linking the two areas.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue,
Samnaun and Ischgl share an area that is easily skied between. Galtur is up the valley from Ischgl and not linked though you can get a bus between them and a shared pass.
As far as I am aware the Montafon areas are furthur up the road from Galtur but the road is closed in winter and there were no links by piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HH, I went to Austria for the first time earlier this year and the Zillertal would probably meet your needs IMHO. Especially if you go out to Zell am Ziller - some really great, long reds and if staying at Mayrhofen included on the area ski pass. Train journey included on the pass takes about 15-20 minutes and then a short bus trip to the bubble. Eating in the town at lunchtime is considerably cheaper than doing so at restaurants on the slopes. Nice, quick transfers from Innsbruck too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sue I have no idea about those plans, but as I wrote, from my point of view, such project is pretty much impossible to do. Nassfeld is just way too far Smile But then again, we will never know what was in those guys heads Very Happy On the other side, it's also possible, and from my understanding much more logical, that it was not about Nassfeld but about Arnoldstein/Dreilandereck. Top of this ski place is located exactly on point where Slovene, Austrian and Italian borders meet. So for me, it would be logical to have plans about this place, but as I said... I don't know, so I could easily be wrong Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
primoz, I remember proof-reading some of the reports after someone else had translated them, that's how I remember the big thing about the three countries - it was their main selling thing. But then Salzburg put together a bid as well, including Sportwelt and Königsee - be interesting to see the links there Laughing Or Munich's bid of Garmisch, Ruhpolding and Königsee with all the awards being given in Munich itself! Shocked No brainer for sure!

Thinking about Salzburg's bid though - it did result in the Salzburg Super ski area pass, so something came out of it!

Sue wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm. Personal thing always what resort you like and don't. Although there are some shockers out there.....

Long reds in Austria. A bit of an odd criterea to book on... the length of the piste!

I basically ski Austria twice or more a year. Done most resorts apart from Ischgl (to be remedied in 2010). My top resorts for Austria rate as:

1. Obergurgl Pricey but fantastic skiing, some great Apres at the Nederhuette.
2. Obertauern Purpose built all linked in, a red skiiers paradise.
3. Montafon. Great value, no Brits and I loved it!
4. Kuehtai. Too small for a week but fantastic for a weekend it's jsut so intimate and friendly. Ski touring was a first.. loved it.
5. Hinterglemm - As said here pistes don't link up well but the skiing was good and the Apres was the best ever!

..... now that I come to think of it Skiwelt was huge too (we just had a hotel in the backside of nowhere)........

Resorts in Austria I've visited but won't do again:

1. Steinplatte - just too dammed dull
2. St Johann in Tirol - awful snow, terrible sking and rotten resort! (You might get the idea I wasn't impressed)
3. ..... and controversially St Anton. Totally over rated!

*Now awiting "OMG you don't like St Anton comments.........."

Red run skiier... I'd prompt for Obertauern. Just an opinion though.........

Samerberg Sue, Sounds like one hell of a day! I'm with you on the biking, skiing and the diving, add a run and it sounds like paradise (but not sure about the paragliding). Is there any apres in there too?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatirishman, if it ever comes off - weather etc being the main controlling factor unfortunately - I will certainly celebrate somewhere in Zell probably. But the fun is in having the dream isn't it. Currently I am re-starting my pilot training for paragliding (had my licence since 2000), but 3 seasons out after my skiing accident means back to square one for me (my choice). So this year is a definite no-no. Paragliding from those heights is very tricky at the best of times and with local winds gusts and terrain influences means I would need to be on top of my game even for a simple straight line glide down to the landing site at Kaprun, let alone the one in Zell!

Curious to know why you did not like St Anton? When were you there? To my mind to get the most out of it first time around you need a guide or maybe join in ski school. I always join ski school as I'm a lone traveller usually and I get company for the first couple of days or so - if I don't get on with the crowd I get the school to move me to another. I like the resort and the skiing a lot, one of my all-time favourites but I do not party hard, preferring to ski hard during the day and sleep at night Laughing

Agree with you about St Jo in Tirol - excellent for beginners though or a day out from somewhere else. Steinplatte/Waidring is a back up for us locals as it gets snow early and keeps it a long time, so for a day good fun, longer than that forget it!

Sue wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, Hmmm lots of reasons why St anton dind't ring my bell. I went with a big group of German frineds most who had skiied there before so we didn't have a guide. We were there 2006 in April. The accommodation we had was fantastic, appartments in a new block, with lovely big rooms. It was the skiing that dissapointed me.

Perhaps it was because of the hype I'd heard about St Anton I was expecting more somehow. We're a mixed group of skiiers, 20 of us from gnarly off pisters to blue cruisers. Getting the latter group down some of the lower pistes there was an issue (particularly over the mogul fields above Mooserwirt). The apres as good, I'll give it that Mooserwirt and Kangaruh were excellent, and I had my standard issue of Olaf Henning / Peter Wackel and Micky Krause karoake during the holiday. The resort layout I didn't like, the poor condition of the pistes, the pricing, and we even had to queue the odd time. It may have been a bad week and I should probably try it again sometime... but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I suppose to be truthful the other thing that go my goat was the amount of rude Brits there (you know the Henry variety)shouting loudly in English so as the poor locals may understand...... We spent a day too in Lech. I still have a beer glass from the hotel there where we had lunch, I think I paid for a crate of them!

Actually Fieberbrunn is pretty close to you too...... I loved the skiing there. But it's small. There was some fantastic Apres at the bottom, some good off piste stuff and a big nice open race track! Yip.. Fieberbrunn was a good weekend too.

Oh if you're in Austria you may be able to help. Song sung in local dialect by a female singer with a very distinctive voice, a little scratcy, about coming to her lover after the spring snow.... any idea who it is? Absolutely all dialect, and a swine to bring into high German. I gotta have it......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatirishman,
Quote:

Red run skiier... I'd prompt for Obertauern. Just an opinion though.........

I thought Obertauern was great but if length of run is important to the original poster they should realise that it has some of the shortest runs of any major European resort. Good ones though I would agree.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

A bit of an odd criterea to book on... the length of the piste!

The old, it's not the size that matters line wink

I just happen to like a long cruisey run. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd second T Bar's comments on Obertauern - great resort but I can't think of any long runs
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatirishman,

Serfaus is a lot better for a mixed group than St Anton. As others have said St Anton is best seen with a guide, the pistes are just the tip of the iceberg.

Scroll down for pics .....

http://www.pistetopowder.com/index.php?p=13-46-44&url=www.pistetopowder.com

http://www.pistetopowder.com/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A vote here for St Anton. One of the best snow records in Austria, if not the Alps. 285km of piste and 160km of ski routes, and of course the off piste. Different resorts to stay in depending on what you're after - Oberlech for ski in ski out luxury on nice cruisy slopes (and IMO one of the best places on this planet), Lech for upmarket village with nice atmosphere, Zurs for luxury away from it all (but lacking in character IMO but cracking snow record), Stuben for small village with great off piste on door step and St Anton of course, busy energetic and rocking apres ski. St Christoph is another option too if you like the nice and quiet.
Downsides are - St Anton is not everyone's cup of tea but the vast majority of people who go return year after year - main run back via Mooserwirt and Krazy Kanguruh gets very busy after 2, but if you're a competent skier then it's not really an issue - it can get sugary lower down from March onwards. Other downside is that once you've been you'll want to return year after year, unless of course you're fatirishman, wink
ski holidays
What he said... (in spades!)
snow report
And again - another Arlberg vote. Best snow in Austria.
snow report
fatirishman, this is the best I can come up with to be honest - she partnered DJ Ötzi for a while, but I would not call her voice screechy really.

http://youtube.com/v/wJZdq1dTmsc&feature=related

or maybe this one

http://youtube.com/v/6gKX9A87aQ0&feature=related

other than that, being no fan of the genre I have no idea.

Maybe one of the other "locals" has an idea Puzzled

Sue wink
snow conditions
Hi HH, I have just added a report for my recent trip to Sölden at Easter which you may or may not find useful in deciding where to go in Austria - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047&start=160

All the best
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy