Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using camera equipment in the snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm pretty sure I'd read somewhere that it's a good idea to use a polarising filter when shooting in snow conditions. I have one for my camcorder, but not my Coolpix 5700. Doubt I shall be taking the 5700 on the slopes with me anyway. Too big.

Problem with compact cameras is they normally can't take filters. Then it's down to being able to override the cameras settings.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Ski Sunday" mode - filming while skiing, only a lot faster than that Bell chap, of course Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our compact never seemes to have any problems with the snow , all seems fine .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

use a polarising filter when shooting in snow conditions
ooooo yes!!! If your camera takes filters then use them! Snow kicks up so much light pollution (from your camera's perspective) that a polarising filter is practically mandatory in all conditions up the mountain. Sky will look bluer, snow will look whiter, your subject appears crisper, and haze dissapears. AND you can leave it on your camera 24/7 to protect the lens. The polarising filter won't affect your camera's ability to take shots off the slopes, and the cost of replacing a scratched filter is negligable compared to replacing a scratched lens.

Helen Beaumont, yes, it probably works fine as far as a compact can. But an SLR is designed to do better job of the same task.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Newbie, if I was you I would not get too precious about a camera, just take it out and get some good photos. I usually take a compact digicam in a pocket and a camcorder around my neck. Sometimes I concentrate too much on the view finder and wipeout but the camcorder usually comes off better than me!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from skiing in Andorra. Glad I didn't take SLR just a small digital. It would have been quite awkward to carry especially as a beginner on the slopes.

SLR should have been ok in cold temperatures as I seen quite a few people using them. The ski school used a Canon 300D to take pictures of all the ski groups. Picture turned out great Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
I took my EOS300D (£495 inc. lens and flash card on Amazon, Dan wink ) to Zermatt, results below. It worked fine in sub-zero temps and I carried it without issue in a padded bag in a rucsac. Might not have if I'd read this thread !

Here comes the sun.
View from our balcony
Top of the White Hare, looking towards Findeln.
Panorama through the trees to the Weisshorn.
Panorama, Matterhorn round to Rothorn.
Me and the Matterhorn await a beer at the Suntrap on the run home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have used my Sony PC5 Video on the last 4 ski holidays we have been on. The only way to get any life from the batteries is to put them inside my jacket and fleece as close to my body as possible, I put the battery on when shooting and take off again as soon as possible. I once left one on the inside pocket of my jacket - thin Gortex, for about 5 mins and it lost its charge Crying or Very sad .
The video is quite small and fits in the chest pocket, I have had one dent one the camera, Embarassed I dont think I even fell, Puzzled so I personally would not take a high end Digital camera up the mountain as they are all plastic composites. If you want quality I would buy and older manual 35mm such as an Olympus OM1 or Nikon FM, ebay has them for £30-40 or if you really want digital a slim compact, I have bought an Olympus Muji 410, it is small enough to fit in an inside pocket in a neoprene case I also bought. DO take pictures they will give you great memories of the holiday, I have some video I took skiing down a nice blue, not quite as good as Martin Bell on Ski Sunday but it is all my own work, panting included!!
Good luck
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've found that newer batteries tend to last longer in the cold these days (or it might be some battery types). In the cold in Les Arcs mine easily lasted a day (over half left). However protecting from the elements does help and carrying a spare close to the body can be useful. A mate of mine has made a camera "stocking" from an old wetsuit sleeve that helps (esp. as he can put hand warmers inside it next to the battery compartment).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I took a Canon D30 (it's predecessor) on my second ski-trip.

I used a good Lowe Alpine camera case and kept it in my rucksack until I wanted some pics.
A guy I met took some pics of me whilst he skied backwards in front of me.
Got some great shots
but....
It was too heavy and bulky.
You couldn't take it out every day - 'cos if you fell with it you'd know about it.

This year I bought a Canon Powershot S1 IS - really good camera with a 10x optical zoom - and the same type image stabiliser as you find on the L lenses.
The snag is that it's too big for a pocket - but no problem in a rucksack.
I took some OK piccies with it but we never had the weather for a camera day.
It also does films (25 mins with a 1Gb CF card), has custom WB, Av/Tv etc which I think are great for video analysis (if you care about that!)

The other option is a tiny Ixus camera - great snapshots, fits in a pocket without noticing it - but only 3x zoom and no 'proper' camera adjustment (eg WB)

(on the falling thing - whilst on holiday this year a guy fell on a walkie-talkie in his breast pocket and broke a rib - extra pressure. Be *REAL* careful!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Newbie, you are probably well back from Andorra now and as you may have found out, taking a high quality digital camera to Andorra, is like taking ice to eskimos! At their prices you could afford to treat a fairly compact Sony as a disposable!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used a Olympus C5060 still camera (5.1 Mp) and a 1 Gb CF card. That proved to be a great combination. I can hang it on the neck when I want taking pictures (it can also go into my pockets). Best bit is to shoot in video mode following the wife while skiing. The video is a big boost to her confidence every time she views it. I also brought a laptop in recent trips for downloading the videos and shots so as to have a full 1Gb memory to start each day. Didn't carry the laptop to the slope though but it is a good entertainment for showing kids the DVD movies in the evening.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy