Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which diamonds?

Poster: A snowHead
I think a file is probably too coarse for recreational tuning.

Which diamonds should I get? The higher the grade, the finer, yes?

So, a 600 and a 200?

dmt or something similar?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a 100, 400 and 1500. You are correct regarding higher = finer. Take any dings out with a stone and then use a diamond with the appropriate angle guide. I often stick the skis across two chairs or similar. 5 mins work every couple of days keeps the edges very sharp.

The ones from Spyderjon seem to be better than some I've tried (Moonflex) http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,19/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 14-04-09 23:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A 100 is practically a cutting file like an 8" isn't it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, It is a little aggressive. Nowhere near that of a file though. I tend to use it for badly dinged edges or after changing the edge angle with files.

I reckon you won't go wrong with a 200 and 600. The 1500 just puts a fine polish on the edge.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, all depends what you want to achieve & how diligent you're gonna be in using them.

For dry slope use I'd recommend a medium metal file followed by a 100 & 400 as the dulling effect of the slope means you'll want more cutting.

For snow use the most popular twin combo's are a 200 & 600 or a 100 & 400. The coarser one for a bit more cutting & the finer one for polish. If you're diligent then a 200 will have enough cut to raise a v.slight hanging burr (meaning the edge is sharp) but if you're not that attentive or ski a lot on firm snow then a 100 would be better.

Note that a 100 is finer than the grade of cutter/belt that the skis manufacturer uses to finish the edge (on new skis you can easily see the diagonal cutting marks on the edge) so don't think that a 100 is too aggressive. If you just want to go for a single stone then either the 100 or 200 would be best.

Keen racer's/tuner's will tend to go the whole hog & have a set of 100, 200, 400, 600 & 1500 to get super smooth/sharp edges - the smoother they are the more durable the edge will be as there's less striations/high spots to burr over etc. The more grades you have the longer they'll last as they each get used less but that has to be balanced against the capital outlay.

DMT stones are shoite durability wise & waaay over priced but they're pretty flat & true. There's some very cheap diamond's on the market for just a few quid each but the one's I've seen were far from flat/true etc. Moonflex diamond files are the dog's danglies & well worth the extra cost down the line (you'll find my Moonflex prices waaay cheaper than anyone else's as I sell huge volumes & get a superb deal from the factory wink).

Whatever you use make sure you first deburr with an alu-oxide stone or the case hardened burrs will damage your metal & diamond files. Then use a gummi to remove the hanging burr.

Remember that all diamond files should be used wet, ie spit, water, snow etc, or better still an achohol based cutting fluid. This will greatly increase the life of the surface & floats away the debris for a smoother cut. Do not use an engineering type of fluid as these are oil based which'll clog the p-tex base.

For metal files avoid the old industry standard 'mill' & 'ba$tard cut' file as these are just waaay too aggressive for regular tuning - I only use them to do 90% of the work when changing side edge angle changes. Best to go for a medium/16cuts per cm file &, again if you're more diligent, a fine/20cuts per cm as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon's the expert Toofy Grin

Oh... the base repair pistol has been proving it's worth. Nice one Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting thread... Where do 'sharp' edges actually make a difference though? Certainly not in powder, maybe on sheet ice, but who wants to ski/board that? and when you have to, straight line, don't turn, unless you have to. Slide slipping will pull you up on skies if you are low enough and have your weight 'downhill', in these conditions.
I've also been told that regular sharperning reduces the lfe of your skis/board. Personally 'getting down' has made more diference on skis than any edge sharpening. perhaps spend some of the sharpening cash on lessons??
Don't get me wrong, I believe you have to have reasonable 'edge' for good carving, but how many actually do that???

Just a thought.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
allanm, good edges needed for:

1. Bite on firm to icy slopes - in turns, and I think they may also help in side slips.
3. Icy steep traverses - I've been on some where I have been very grateful to the few cm of edge holding me from injury or even oblivion.
4. Good stopping power.

As I ski only 3 weeks a year, wear on the edges is really not an issue. Even if it were, I'd still sharpen them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
allanm, When my old soft skis were cranked over on hardpack they chattered like hell and skidded the tails out of turns. Going up to a 3 degree edge angle and keeping them very sharp stopped that and meant that I could actually get some decent turns in. In powder they can be as blunt as a butter knife and you won't notice hehehe.

But why would I want skis that won't grip on icy runs? I defo don't fancy straightlining a frozen black first thing in the morning Shocked

Keeping them sharp actually can prolong the edge life as you only take off a minute amount of metal if done regularly. Whereas once they get blunt you have to use more aggressive filing and it's easy to take off a bit too much. I'd say that you would have to be sharpening your edges every day for years to notice the edges getting thinner.... my skis are usually well dead by then Laughing

My new fatter and stiffer skis don't need such an acute angle I but keep 'em pretty sharp by doing a few light passes with a diamond stone every couple of days and they never actually get blunt.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
maybe on sheet ice, but who wants to ski/board that?

Have you ever considered that it may not actually be sheet ice, rather your sheet edges? Sharp edges can help turn the first couple of hours of a morning in spring conditions from a pain to great fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, Scarpa, Sorry to digress from the subject of the thread, but thanks for your replies. For the last four or so weeks of skiing this year I never had the edges sharpened. Until then I had them sharpened about once a week. I was told by a 'local' at Les Arcs that I was wasting my money, being too pinickety about edge sharpness, and that it would be better spent on improving technique. I did have some carving lessons, and do still tend to skid the tails when it gets tough, I was told this was simply the 'learning process'.
I'll get them sharpened, might be a miracle. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
allanm, It might be a bit of a waste of cash paying for them to be done once a week though... much easier to do 'em yourself.

You are right though in that sharp edges won't help your skiing that much unless you can engage them with the surface. I'm still working on not skidding my tails Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Intrestingly different manufacturers skis hold their edges for different times under the same conditions, my Head race department skis have edges that seem to stay sharp for ages (& Head in general seem to be better than average) whilst other skis seem to need resharpening on a far more frequent basis, from an engineering point of view this means Head are doing something different with their steel, most likely they are using a higher quality steel with slightly more carbon in it and probably a touch more chromium, the Carbon will ensure that the edge can be sharpened effectively but this has to be balenced with other addatives in the alloy because carbon also makes steel more brittle and more prone to rust
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
Best to go for a medium/16cuts per cm file &, again if you're more diligent, a fine/20cuts per cm as well.

Do you mean XX cuts per mm rather than per cm or am I being thick ? Blush Edit ... D'oh I've just thought about it and probably just thick actually. Laughing Presumably the cuts per cm is the number of 'teeth' on the file rather than the depth of each shave.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
allanm, In her book 'the Centered Skier' Denise McCluggage includes the parable of the master chef who hasn't sharpened his knives in ten years because he knows how to butcher the ox and doesn't hack at meat, bone, or gristle. He did not, however, learn to do this by using -dull- knives during his apprenticeship.
snow report
moffatross wrote:
Presumably the cuts per cm is the number of 'teeth' on the file rather than the depth of each shave.

That is correct.
snow report
comprex,
Quote:

In her book 'the Centered Skier' Denise McCluggage includes the parable of the master chef who hasn't sharpened his knives in ten years because he knows how to butcher the ox and doesn't hack at meat, bone, or gristle. He did not, however, learn to do this by using -dull- knives during his apprenticeship.

Point taken - in no uncertain terms - even I can see the analogy. I'm now convinced, that with purchase of a file (selected from the info on this thread) my tails will no longer skid, and I will carve perfectly on day one of next season Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (LOL!)

If only life was that simple Blush - comprex, Thanks, I will change my view on edges next year.

Allan
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
.....Have you ever considered that it may not actually be sheet ice, rather your sheet edges?.....

Sideshow_Bob, Laughing I'm gonna nick that line for future use. And as you're not DG I don't even have to credit you when I do wink
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, Quick... copywrite that line and coin it in Laughing
latest report
I could be wrong on this but i used to only use my diamond files as i was worried that i would take too much edge off but never felt my skis were particularily sharp.

After watching racers prep their skis i now routinely deburr and then take at least two passes with a fine file before getting a 200 diamond on my edges then move to the finer grits. I could never get em sharp enough when only using diamonds.
ski holidays
skimottaret, you're right. For us UK flatlanders tuning here for week long trips it's easliy doable to keep the edges sharp enough in resort by deburring & diamond'ing alone, providing it's done often enough & the edges were sharp enough to start with. If it's a soft sonw week than apart from the odd rock ding you shouldn't have to touch 'em. Then when back home a med/fine can be used as required as you do.

The second most common question I'm asked is (after "do I need a proper waxing iron?") how do I know how much to file/stone? The answer is just till you feel the slight hanging burr on the junction of the base edge. I usually make full length passes with the metal file but it's often necessary to do a few isolated passes underfoot as this area blunts more than the tips'n'tails as that's were most of the pressure is applied. To avoid unnecessary filing I a few inches of edge underfoot a few passes with a 100 diamond & if a hanging burr isn't raise then the edge needs a file first. If I raise a burr then I'll just diamond the whole edge.

I can always tell a backseater as their edges are noticably more blunt under/behind the heel binding.
ski holidays
spyderjon, phew... wasnt sure about that one...

slightly off topic but what is the best way to get rid of rust on the edges? i have been using a gummy block and then a 200 grit diamond. Silly boy i am i left a few pairs in the garage and they all rusted...
snow conditions
skimottaret, skis kept in garage Shocked I'd have thought a pro like you would have a dedicated climate controlled room! My gear has it's own purpose built fitted wardrobes, how sad is that Embarassed

Gummi/diamond & ZN for rust removal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy