Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gate training at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be willing to pop up if I can share with a few coming from the south M25 so I'll be willing to do any day as and when.

Not too concerned with gates per se, more a fast carving technique amongst freinds but I'll fit in with whatever, subject to work.

Couldn't do every session anyway...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, Sorry I meant Sundays 18.00-20.00 or 20.00-22.00

rjs, I'm not talking about a race on the scale of the others. More a low key race for snowheads, run on a Saturday or Sunday evening.

Sideshow_Bob, It might be possible to integrate it, I'll ask rob@rar
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thursday or Sunday would certainly be better options for me than Monday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Philbo, yeah i know but getting up to teach at 6 am and then travelling back to go fun skiing in the evening wont go down well at home and be pretty time consuming on the motorway!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philbo, strong preference for Thursdays over Sundays because I tend to be very busy at weekends. I could make a regular commitment to Thursdays, but only make something like 20% of the Sunday sessions.

You could always run Thusdays and Sundays Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Philbo, Would prefer to stick to Monday, but if we have to move then Thursday would suit best. Don’t really want to do Sunday but would if there was no other choice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Late Sunday then Thurs for me (mainly cos on a Sunday I could take own skis etc) but then I haven't been yet so mine isnt really a strong vote.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philbo, when I'm more local, Monday would suit me least, due to other commitments wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, race thing would be fun.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ooh eck, I'd fit in with whatever I can whatever day it is. Although I must admit I'm keen to train with Hemel on a Weds with Philbo and co anyway! Nothing like seeing kiddies hurricane the crap out of each other to inspire you!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unfortunately I won't be able to make Monday night as I'm away for a long-ish weekend. Hopefully Sally got my email about not being able to make it and won't leave my skis in the rack at Hemel! I'll be back the week after and hopefully will be able to sign up for a number of sessions further in advance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okay everyone,

I looks like Thursday will be the replacement day. Same time as the current training.

I'll look to change this from the beginning of August and will get the website up to date shortly to allow booking.

I'll email anyone already booked for August to change their dates.

Thanks for all the feedback
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good session last night for the seniors with Sally Bartlett doing the coaching duties. Everyone seemed to be skiing well, except for Sideshow_Bob, who claimed to be skiing like a sack o' tatties (even though he still looked pretty good to me). Worked on how we got the skis on to an edge, skiing in pairs observing each other and comparing what we saw with what the skier thought they were doing. In a group of 7 there were a wide range of ways of edging the skis. We then broke things down by isolating movement in the three primary joints (ankles, knees, hips) to see how much each could affect the range and rate of edging, before blending movements in all three joints to produce progressive edged turns. Finished up by a few runs in a very twisty course set in full size gates, which led to my first fall at Hemel when I hooked a tip and spun round and over Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm glad to hear that Sideshow_Bob has been observing my technique closely!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni, what, sack o tatties or looking pretty good to Rob? Wink

Don't know what was wrong last night. I felt my skiing was lacking in energy and dynamism and my skis felt rather lifeless with nothing like the usual kick in the tail. Maybe time to follow philbo's advice and throw the Salomon rubbish in the skip.
latest report
It's quite likely that I'm totally crazy, but I've just signed up for the first session on Thursday evenings in August. Very Happy

I've been wondering how I can build on my experiences at the Fast and Easy summer camp, and this seems like a good idea. I might just concentrate on the training and skills, and not actually race the gates though. Laughing
latest report
RachelQ, excellent Smile
ski holidays
If someone wants to car-share from the M25S I can do the 6th, 13th and 20th...
latest report
RachelQ, I'd love to do it.... wonder if I could link with one of my trips up the M1?
snow report
JT, holidayloverxx, go on, find a way... I booked through Impulse racing.
snow conditions
Hmmm, can't do the August dates - will look at September
snow report
RachelQ, holidayloverxx, Great - go for it! Very Happy JT, It will do you the world of good. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, I'll let you know how I get on. Very Happy
latest report
Great to see more interest Smile Philbo might even have enough numbers to need two groups/coaches at this rate.
snow conditions
The sessions with Philbo are great fun, but if anyone who doesn't think that their skiing is quite up to that level yet skimottaret and I are thinking about offering a snowHeads Coaching Clinic which will be aimed at a "Pre-race training" sort of level. We would offer coaching on some of the fundamentals that you rely on when race training, and offer your first experience of skiing slalom gates (although we'd use brushes or stubbies rather than full gates which are pretty intimidating at first). If you enjoyed this we hope that you'd then feel confident to have a go at the race training that Philbo offers Smile Send me a PM if you're interested so we can gauge the level of interest.
ski holidays
rob@rar, if I'd known that you were thinking of doing that, I would have booked a clinic with you rather than the full on race training sessions, since I know very well that my skiing isn't up to that level. Still, if you don't try... and I've only booked one session at the moment. I'm already anticipating embarrassing myself hugely. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
RachelQ, you'll be fine. It's not that high-powered....honest Wink .
snow report
RachelQ, I'm planning on doing Rob's coaching day - I can't commit to 4 thursdays in a row to do the Impulse thing (nor is my sking up to it)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooh - 5000 Very Happy
snow conditions
bumps are DEFINATELY for chumps.....
latest report
skimottaret, NehNeh

How're you feeling? Any better?
ski holidays
Oh dear, it appears the bumps killed Scott Skullie

Another good session on Monday. We spent a bit more time than usual in the gates as there's a race at Hemel coming up this weekend and the kids (plus Graham) wanted practice. We started out skiing the softer bumpier stuff just to the side of what seems to be the permanent moguls/stubbies lane, then into the stubbies on the 'moguls' themselves (ruts/slight humps is a better description). Unfortunately skimottaret took quite a hard tumble on one of the runs while racing watski (who was skiing like a demon). We then moved into the full-size gates and two rather offset technical courses. It certainly seems that people are getting much more comfortable in the gates as there were improved performances from most of the oldies despite the tight courses.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Oh dear, it appears the bumps killed Scott Skullie

He's had to fly to the US for a family funeral.
ski holidays
Oops Embarassed My commiserations.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
The sessions with Philbo are great fun, but if anyone who doesn't think that their skiing is quite up to that level yet skimottaret and I are thinking about offering a snowHeads Coaching Clinic which will be aimed at a "Pre-race training" sort of level. We would offer coaching on some of the fundamentals that you rely on when race training, and offer your first experience of skiing slalom gates (although we'd use brushes or stubbies rather than full gates which are pretty intimidating at first). If you enjoyed this we hope that you'd then feel confident to have a go at the race training that Philbo offers Smile Send me a PM if you're interested so we can gauge the level of interest.

We're planning an "Introduction to Race Training" session on 31st August. More info here.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, racing bumps without poles was a bit beyond my ability, shouldnt have tried to get back in the course after coming out Toofy Grin

some damage to the patella tendon, lateral ligs and outside quad muscle... couldnt put any weight on it for a couple days and am still limping around.. Consultant appt next month but training is off the menu for a while Skullie Evil or Very Mad

Not sure i could keep up with GrahamN anyways who i thought was skiing absolutely superb that night, really ripping the rut line !!!
snow conditions
skimottaret, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed - thank you sir. I'm sufficiently delusional to think I may be able to give Sideshow_Bob a run for his money in the right course, but the way he was hitting those rut lines it was clear there was no contest that evening (even before we proved it conclusively in a rather one-sided head-to-head, my only consolation being I beat him well out the gate this time). Even the kids were watching him with jaws hitting the floor. Respect.

I actually also had a 4hour session with philbo on Sat as part of the Aldershot Seniors club. I felt I was actually starting to ski half decently by the end of that. It was just a shame that I chucked all that good work out of the window as I stood in the start gate the following morning (particularly on the second run), where I skied pretty much like I would have done two years ago Mad Mad Mad . Note to self: write out 10000 times "I must learn not to ski straight at the first gate". More hard work required - just as well I'm doubling up through August Wink .
snow report
GrahamN, addict NehNeh
snow conditions
WIsh I could come, sounds fun. Sad
ski holidays
Well, I did it, and I survived, and don't think I made a total eejit of myself. Very Happy The slope was pretty busy tonight, with a race club from down south somewhere, and another ski club, plus our group, so Philbo set up a course of stubbies (I think that's what they're called - they come up to just above the knee) which I skied four times. What fun! I think this might become addictive. Toofy Grin

Now - has anyone got any slalom skis length 155 that they'd like to sell me? Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy