Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian Resort for 09/10 Season

Poster: A snowHead
Timmaah wrote:
On an unrelated note... how long is the season at Whistler? Why do I keep hearing it's a glacier? Is it a glacier? Does canada have many ski-accessible glaciers? Probably all stupid questions...

typically mid November until early June - and nearly always not reliant on glacier only skiing during those times. it snows early and stays around.

Glacier season starts mid June to August sometime - dates are on web site.

And someone said Whistler is 'lacking serious steeps'. A very incorrect statement - every seen freestyle comp off Spankys? Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow, there's also a nice village at base of KH now (fake of course, but nice!!). Was really quiet when I was there this Feb, but sure ski-in/out and a few decent places to eat/drink.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveC, hard to understand how Kimberly can really compare with Whistler. I do like the place, it has some great skiing. But lack of snow can't be made up for easily, I'm afraid. I love going there on a good season tho.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gortonator, Was really quiet Xmas week there too, possibly too quiet to be healthy for long term viability maybe Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow wrote:
There's some tremendous terrain at Fernie that you can look at, and some tremendous terrain at Kicking Horse that you can ski.

I'm pretty determined to ski a line down the headwall next year Smile but yeah a trip to KH is way overdue, some of the pics I've seen look amazing. Another big plus KH has over Fernie (I guess they're the most comparable BC resorts) is the slackcountry is far more accessable. I wanted to get into touring but yo-yo laps feel a bit too inefficient to ever bother doing Sad I think Fernie does get more snow though, usually. Not sure about crowds at KH to comment on that one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
gortonator, Was really quiet Xmas week there too, possibly too quiet to be healthy for long term viability maybe Puzzled

i think everywhere was pretty quiet this year - good old global recessions do that, I guess?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gortonator wrote:
DaveC, hard to understand how Kimberly can really compare with Whistler. I do like the place, it has some great skiing. But lack of snow can't be made up for easily, I'm afraid. I love going there on a good season tho.

Hmm, think you might of misunderstood my post. I guess you have to know that Ski Kimberly is as partial to their namesake resort as wbsr is to theirs, to catch the sarcasm anyway Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gortonator wrote:

And someone said Whistler is 'lacking serious steeps'. A very incorrect statement - every seen freestyle comp off Spankys? Smile

If you mean me, then you totally misread my post.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I heard it's a bit cowboy for nightlife to

Nothing wrong with a bit cowboy! Its nearly the rodeo season after all!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Not sure about crowds at KH to comment on that one.

We did a march weekend in KH last year and it was great. No crowds then. Ski school was not overworked . Son had a private lesson (payed for group), daughter in daycare got a lesson, which we didn't pay for , because the other little chap in there was having one. The daycare was very very good.

That said I think Fernie is better even though there is minor league tubing at KH. Although KH does have the Eagle Eye- but never eaten there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster wrote:
gortonator wrote:

If you mean me, then you totally misread my post.

you're correct. I did - apologies Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Eagle Eye Restaurant at KH is one of the best on-mountain restaurants I've ever frequented.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gortonator, Ok I'll let you off this once.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Nightlife - mellow but good, with some uniqueness / originality

Mike refers to fresh meat Monday presumably.

The Roadhouse..........

Got dragged in there at the behest of the OH ski instructor. Another stoned stripper you couldn't help but feel sympathy for.

What really spooked me was that the most determined voyeurs were mainly wimmin, tippy toes and chairs. A fair proportion of the blokes were propped up at the bar drinking the $1.00 a pint pi$$ beer.

Otherwise KH great terrain but boring lifts. Will make it back someday.

John.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gryphea wrote:
Alberta- too far from lifts , won't be able to catch and hour or two here of there. Can be v crowded at weekends.

Define v crowded?

Scheming to get temporary posted to Calgary for a few month...
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:
fatbob wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Nightlife - mellow but good, with some uniqueness / originality

Mike refers to fresh meat Monday presumably.

Otherwise KH great terrain but boring lifts. Will make it back someday.

John.

Boring lifts???? Shocked

Gondola from base to CPR Ridge, quad to top of Blue Heaven.

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/mountain/maps/mountain/

Two lifts that access all that KH has to offer.

If only other mountains were this efficient.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Boring lifts???? Shocked

Yep. Riding the same two lifts for two weeks solid is pretty boring.

Doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of gondolas.

John.
snow report
I do hate having to cruise back to the bottom of the gondy for laps but I wouldn't say the lifts are boring! KH has enough terrain to keep me going for quite a while.
snow report
Quote:

Define v crowded?

Scheming to get temporary posted to Calgary for a few month...

OK, well on a global scheme not that crowded. We live in Calgary (have done for 2 ski seasons) and do an awful lot of skiing considering the ages of our children (now 6 and 4). Most of this is weekends. We ski Nakiska a lot, which has slightly crowded lifts at the weekend but the pistes are great (eg lots of piste per lift). But its not the kind of place for a season. LL we have only been to a few times- its not our favorite as we find it crowded and busy. Please note though that for us that has meant 5-10 mins. WE went to Fernie on family day and found it much less crowded than family day at LL the year before. LL is not the most child friendly I find as its full of skiers going really quite fast in inappropriate crowded back to resort runs and it makes me nervous with our little ones- its the only resort at which I have found this.

We have only been to Sunshine once so can't really comment on crowds- it was absolutely fine when we went.

Calgary is a great place to base oneself whilst working to get a lot of skiing in. This season we did 25 days (me and daughter) , 27 days (son and hubby)- if it wasn't for kids parties etc and needing to give our kids a bit more of a home anchor we would do more. A lot of resorts feature within the 3 to 3-1/2 hr drive window, Nakiska (50mins), Sunshine, Norquay, LL, KH, Fernie, Panorama and of course ski Kimberley would have us go there. There is also Castle and Whitefish. Extend to up to 7 hrs and you pull in a whole load more BC resorts.
ski holidays
Quote:

Calgary is a great place to base oneself whilst working to get a lot of skiing in.

I thought so, having been to SS for 2 days.

The only problem would be, individual lift tickets for large number of days would be quite expensive. So naturally, one would go for a few season tickets by picking carefully which a few resorts to ski, would one not?
snow conditions
abc,
Last year we were Louise Card holders and we got Snowmax cards. Louise cards were I think $80 and then you skied for free I think 1st, 3rd , 4th and 7th days or something like that and the other days were discounted - at Nakiska or LL I think (will be different next season I think). A number of resorts do similar combo cards, eg Sunshine/marmot etc. You have to be in Alberta to buy then before mid December I think, or at least have an address. Snowmax is the bast value - it was $130 with 4 slki free days at KH or Panorama and discount thereafter.

This year we got an RCR (nakiska, LL, Fernie, Kimberley) family pass. WE bought this in the early bird sale in May and it was substantially discounted. Next year we think we will just buy earlybird Nakiska as we want to ski some non-RCR at Christmas and Easter and it makes more economical sense. My son will get a free Grade 2 RCR funpass next year and we may do Fernie for family day.

If we didn't have children who winged at car journeys we would adopt a slightly different attitude to the passes we buy!

Gryph
snow report
abc,

Should say that for these discount cards the way you pay has to be registered to a BC or Albertan address I think. It doesn't have to be a canadian card though.
ski holidays
gryphea, last season my english visiting friend got a Louise card without a Canadian billing address - I think...
latest report
DaveC,

You may well be right, I can't remember that far back! BUT I think I thought this for the Snowmax card, becuase definately I remember having a conversation as we bought it.

Gryph
latest report
DaveC,

Yup Snowmax card you need to be resident:
http://www.snowmax.ca/html/buy.html

But can't find the same disclaimer for Louise card (although this was RCR when we bought it and so was different anyway

I have had a look and maybe sunshine/marmot ISN't retricted either
latest report
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll know before the cutoff deadline to buy, local address or not.
snow report
Hmmm, the resorts of BC and Alberta...

StuartH's plan is a goodie, it depends what you are after though. We were in a similar situation a few years ago and our problems related to getting work and accomodation. Fernie lots of accommodation but high demand for work, as it happens we ended up in sun peaks and road tripped from there.

I guess it depends what you are after 'resort life' or skiing...

Check Revelstoke out good location with increasing amounts of terrain thats where I'm going for the Olympics.

If you have not been to Canada before you will find the resorts quite different to Europe neither good or bad just different.
snow conditions
clarkee76 wrote:
Fernie lots of accommodation but high demand for work, as it happens we ended up in sun peaks and road tripped from there.

Is it? Might find that was just this season, given it didn't snow....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC wrote:
gortonator wrote:

Hmm, think you might of misunderstood my post. I guess you have to know that Ski Kimberly is as partial to their namesake resort as wbsr is to theirs, to catch the sarcasm anyway Smile

Would it be anything like you and fatbob are Fernie / Banff biased ?
ski holidays
Where's the Banff bias? I don't have a financial interest anywhere but have skied a lot of places in Western Canada (not Whistler this season just gone as there simply wasn't enough snow wink ). Whistler's a great resort but its not the only resort. I'd say anyone is missing out if they don't sample a few places with an open mind unless staying at the Westin/4 Seasons is a primary criterion for a good holiday.
latest report
wbsr wrote:
DaveC wrote:
gortonator wrote:

Would it be anything like you and fatbob are Fernie / Banff biased ?

Well, if you dig up my snow report thread you'll find a fair few negative/honest posts and personally I'd rather no-one came to Fernie so it's quieter Smile I do think it's worth recommending for some aspects tho, especially the facilities for kids. There's a marked difference between my posts and certain others though...
latest report
I spoke to a woman the other day who reckoned the snow in silver spring was much better than whistler. I did a season in whistler in 05/06, currently looking to go back to canada for a couple of years starting in october this year. My mates in whistler reckon the snow hasn't been that great over the past few seasons and that accommodation and jobs have been hard to come by. I was thinking about trying another resort, Banff sounds like a ball ache with all of the buses! Are there any other resorts in BC/Alberta that are ski in/ski out?
snow report
Out of all of the Canadian resorts, excluding Whistler, which has 1) the best snow park, and 2) the best nightlife?

Banff seems like an ideal resort but the bus ride to the mountain doesn't appeal.. are all the hotels, restaurants, bars and accommodation in one place, and the skiing 10/20 minutes away?
ski holidays
Skibum22, all the stuff is in one place, Norquay is 10/15 mins away, Sunshine is 20 minutes or so plus the gondy ride up and LL is 40 minutes or so.
ski holidays
arv, Thanks for the advice. So the seasonaires accommodation is in the town along with everything else?
snow report
also can you get a season pass for all 3 areas or do you have to get them seperately?
snow conditions
Skibum22, yeh for the most part. There is a big block of accommodation up by the Fairmont Banff Springs. Some up at Sunshine Village too but there would be nothing to do at night. Not sure about LL.
ski holidays
And can you get a season pass for all 3 areas or do you have to get them seperately?
ski holidays
Skibum22, can get one for all 3 and for extra a bus pass. Don't remember how much it is. One of the more expensive season passes out there.
snow conditions
Don't expect to ski much at Norquay. Enjoy your bus rides NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy