Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are ski resorts getting too dangerous?

Poster: A snowHead
Context is all-important. Now I know what the skier in the video was actually doing, it gives the video some more impact ........ but it is still mostly just a matter of snow passing under the tips of his skis and a few tantalising glimpses of the view ahead which I missed the first time because I got fed up and jumped three minutes of it. That's a criticism of the video, not the skier! Must find out more about this run.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm 'famous' with folk I ski with..Puzzled If I am standing at the edge of piste taking with customers I always keep an eye uphill. If I spy someone heading towards me I quietly place my uphill pole handle on my hip with the point facing uphill towards the skier/boarder.

They sure learn to turn fast! Toofy Grin

I once had a guy stop below me, clamber up the slope and start mouthing off at me along the lines of "If I'd have hit you your pole would have hurt me!!!!" "That's probably why I did it" is the obvious reply.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ccl, There are plenty of good pix of the Vallons de la Meije, look at colin's thread and there are some pix on the LDA snowreports when I've been over there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
colinmcc, ah yes, they good old murder option, now that will surely get your ski pass confiscated wink , I would recommend you only adopt that technique on those skiing alone, rather than those skiing with fathers/husbands etc., who perhaps tend not to take kindly to those who deliberately trying to injure their off-spring and spouses, for what ever reason.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks easiski. True to the words of the old traditional song, "A-googling we will go, a-googling we will go..." I've found quite a few good bits of info on and photos of les Vallons. Add that to the thread you mentioned and it all makes me think I must make a date with this area. I've only been in les Deux Alpes one week and as I was working, didn't get around that much. What I did see, was good though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Instructors are often the worst!

I was teaching my partner at Arcalis and on arriving at the top of her very first time on a drag lift I warned her to move away from the line of the tow so she wouldn't get hit in the back by my pole. Could she move away? No!! The whole exit was blocked by a class standing still listening to their instructor. Although he wasn't a native English speaker his class all were so they understood every bit of my condemnation of his stupidity.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski wrote

Quote:

beequin, Dynastar Pro I'm pretty sure. He does go pretty close to others, but that's part of a freeride race. Those below beware, but they do try to organise it so the fastest go first AIUI. I think he turned his skis about 5 times in the whole descent. Wish I'd been there - on second thoughts no I don't! He has to be a totally awesome skier to be able to do that and stay on his feet. Derby de la Meije is NEVER A JOLLY - if it is you shouldn't be there!

Must be a few out of 900 who are not entirely up to it, especially those using "autres engins" http://www.derbydelameije.com/?pg=STATS_fr&lng=fr&im=9
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beequin, Yes - but they normally go last (for safety). I wouldn't do it, but I know a number of peeps who have (best was about 8.5 mins IIRC). LG is a place where safety considerations are squarely on each individual's shoulders, and long may it last. Very Happy However that's not really the point is it?

Tatra Man, Agreed this is very poor practise and you were quite justified in having a go - but not all instructors do this! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops wrote:
colinmcc, ah yes, they good old murder option, now that will surely get your ski pass confiscated wink , I would recommend you only adopt that technique on those skiing alone, rather than those skiing with fathers/husbands etc., who perhaps tend not to take kindly to those who deliberately trying to injure their off-spring and spouses, for what ever reason.

Disagree. The offfender will not get hurt if he does not come within a pole length of you. If he does, then I suggest he is way too close!

It is a tactic I also sometimes use to focus people's attention. Works very well. Have not had anybody mouth off yet, but some startled looks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ulmerhutte, rayscoops,

A few year ago in Whistler a snowboard school instructor shot between(!!) me and the person I was talking to, I and my conversation partner were standing still. I cracked him across his chest with my pole. (Didn't see him coming early enough to implement plan A. Sad ) He stopped, came back up the slope, watched by his class and a 'barney' started. The patrol arrived, luckily one of my pals is the 2nd longest serving member of the patrol (20+ years), and when his name was mentioned things quietened down. I gave the patroler my name and the instructor gave his.

At the end of the day I went into the Board School and registered a formal complaint about the instructor. About 10 days later I had a very polite letter from the Ski School director regretting that no one of that name was teaching on the hill that day...

It's an interesting observation that Ski School instructors here wear name badges, Board School instructors don't... goes with the 'tude', baggy jail pants and smurf hats I guess. Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 23-04-09 14:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

very polite letter from the Ski School director regretting that no one of that name was teaching on the hill that day

Perhaps he was choosing his words very carefully.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colinmcc, You may remember that the poles pointing up and out was normal for the left person on the Cas T Bar back in the day! Glad to see you posting and hope you're in the pink. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do you go far enough back easiski, to remember the liftie on the Cas tow who kept a bit of wood to hand to bash the right side person with if their poles were up and threatening to put out his eyes ?

I think, to be fair, it was the poles he hit rather than the person. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte, colinmcc, any action deliberately intended to injure some one on the piste for whatever reason is wrong and irresponsible and is probably worse than the out of control skier in the first place imv. The out of control skier may well be a learner, may well have had some equipment/ski malfunction, might have just popped an achilles or acl or any other such reason may be contributing to them being out of control .... rather than being reckless.

Two wrongs do not make a right wink

1. Respect for others
A skier or snowboarder must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must say that the potential consequences of someone actually injuring themselves on a deliberately stuck-out pole does rather make the mind boggle. Shocked
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
ulmerhutte, colinmcc, any action deliberately intended to injure some one on the piste for whatever reason is wrong and irresponsible and is probably worse than the out of control skier in the first place imv.

While certainly not endorsing colinmcc's actions, I don't think it could reasonably be described as an action "deliberately intended to injure some one on the piste", but rather as a warning action to make said someone think about what they are doing.

Still rather irresponsible, to say the least Confused
snow report
its not that dangerous..in fact its stupid..if someone held their pole out like that to me i would straightline it and and hockey stop slide under the pole and smack into the w@nkers kneecaps..then when he's writhing in agony,ski off over his head
snow conditions
.. and I would jump up over your horizontal legs as they headed for my kneecaps and stamp down on your empty head and your skull would break into chocolatey bite size pieces and I would scavenge the slope and eat every last crumb.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, no you wouldnt..for many reasons..you are too old..too fat..wouldnt be quick enough..couldnt jump high enough..but the main reason is that if i saw it was you.....i definately wouldnt miss
snow conditions
snowpatrol, perhaps, but my Mojo would protect the knees and i would be catapulted down onto your soon to be sad, lifeless and exceptionally flat carcass.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, youve got me there..nothing could withstand the weight of you falling on it......
snow report
In collisons, there is no substitute for mass. I once had a collision with a man on a moped in Florence. He was on the moped....to start with but then parted company and groaned lots Very Happy , whereas my triple cone ice cream was dislodged from my grip Evil or Very Mad
snow report
snowpatrol wrote:
its not that dangerous..in fact its stupid..if someone held their pole out like that to me i would straightline it and and hockey stop slide under the pole and smack into the w@nkers kneecaps..then when he's writhing in agony,ski off over his head

My hero - want to show me your pecs. I bet you are really big and strong! Very Happy rolling eyes Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, I often point my stick at people who look as though they may come too close - it's amazing how they suddenly find plenty of room to go round you. Shocked I also have been know to hit people with my pole when they're too close. If they're close enough to be hit by a 115 pole then they're much too close. ccl, Yes - and do you remember 'Blink' deliberately hanging onto the car park T bar and letting it go to whack beginners on the bottom, then making them go to the back of the Q when they fell over??
Frosty the Snowman, Of course as you're nearly twice my size, potential collisions wouldn't hold the same fear for you. Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, LMAO....

did you make him pay for another lolly..? Laughing
ski holidays
ulmerhutte, you better believe it
latest report
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Frosty the Snowman, and snowpatrol, ah bless, who'd have thought it
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, LMAO....

did you make him pay for another lolly..? Laughing
nope, I invoked the 5 second rule and reloaded the cone Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
rayscoops, I often point my stick at people who look as though they may come too close - it's amazing how they suddenly find plenty of room to go round you.

But that isn't quite the same as bracing it against your hip, as the OP was suggesting Shocked
snow report
colinmcc, easiski, ulmerhutte, maybe you are firmly in the right to wave your pole in a voluntary or involuntary manner under FIS rules, but not at law wink

4. Overtaking
A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
easiski wrote:
rayscoops, I often point my stick at people who look as though they may come too close - it's amazing how they suddenly find plenty of room to go round you.

But that isn't quite the same as bracing it against your hip, as the OP was suggesting Shocked

Well, what with the basket, there won't be much penetration.
latest report
Quote:

Into the eye socket?
ski holidays
beequin wrote:
Quote:

Into the eye socket?

Or up the back bottom? Their own hard luck either way.
snow conditions
ccl wrote:
Do you go far enough back easiski,.........

I've just realised: what a rude question to ask a lady. Embarassed But then you do go far enough back, it seems, so that's all right.

Quote:
and do you remember 'Blink' deliberately hanging onto the car park T bar and letting it go to whack beginners on the bottom, then making them go to the back of the Q when they fell over??

I don't remember that one but it doesn't surprise me in the least. They had their very own robust concept of customer care on Cairngorm in these days, unlike at the Lecht where they did absurdly effete things like smiling at people and being nice to children.
latest report
easiski, Hi C, icy moguls here this week in the am, slush aka 'Cairngorm powder' in the pm. Although I'm now a Canadian I could almost say 'reminds me of home'..

Another ruse to persuade folk not to get too close when standing talking on the piste with a class is to lift your lower ski about knee high off the snow as you see them heading for you.. Anyone who looks like skiing close enough to cross front or back of your skis will suffer a two-part kneecap if they fail to turn. I'm sure you know that one too!

Laughing
latest report
Quote:

up the back bottom?

Difficult to envisage. But my OH did once stab himself in the calf muscle with a pole (sans basket) at that ski slope in Staffordshire, of which I have forgotten the name again. Swadlincote, perhaps. It was a deep puncture wound; his leg still bears the scar. Had he stabbed himself in the back bottom it would have been less disfiguring.
latest report
colinmcc wrote:
slush aka 'Cairngorm powder' in the pm.

Laughing
latest report
ccl wrote:
Do you go far enough back easiski, to remember the liftie on the Cas tow who kept a bit of wood to hand to bash the right side person with if their poles were up and threatening to put out his eyes ?

I think, to be fair, it was the poles he hit rather than the person. wink

Heaven help any queue jumpers as well. This guy got a dangerous driving conviction for chasing two walkers who walked down the middle of the freshly prepared Carpark Tow track with a Piste Basher!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy