Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anything be done about the Ski Welt piste map?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having been to Westendorf in the Ski Welt this January and finding the piste map appalling is the area just too big to fit it all on one map? Westendorf tourist office produce a a-z booklet with a map of just the local area in it. This was better but didn't match the Ski Welt map!

The lift co's idea seems to be to plaster the area with thousands of the crap maps. Hundreds of the things at all the offices and lift stations, instead of producing a better map.

Any suggestions? (Apart from telling me to get better at reading maps!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
e.g. wrote:
Having been to Westendorf in the Ski Welt this January and finding the piste map appalling is the area just too big to fit it all on one map? Westendorf tourist office produce a a-z booklet with a map of just the local area in it. This was better but didn't match the Ski Welt map!

The lift co's idea seems to be to plaster the area with thousands of the crap maps. Hundreds of the things at all the offices and lift stations, instead of producing a better map.

Any suggestions? (Apart from telling me to get better at reading maps!)

Getting better at reading them wouldn't help much, since they are indeed as poor as you say.

I'm not sure it is because the area is so big though. I think it is partly because the lifts and slopes go in all directions, which does make it difficult to represent in 2 dimensions, and partly just that it hasn't been done as well as it could be.

It probably wouldn't be much use having separate maps for each village either, since Westendorf is the only one which is almost isolated from te rest of the area.

At least the signposting is mostly pretty good nowadays, and so if you know which lift you want, you can just follow a piste with that number on it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did work out to ski to lifts rather than by pistes. Which is fine until the a and b variants of a run go to different places. Maybe the crap map is a sneaky plan by the lift co to get people to keep going back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only idea I've ever had was that it might help if the pistes had arrows on them, showing what was up and what was down. But maybe that would make the map even more complicated. The best solution is probably to live around here for about 30 years and then you don't need to bother about the map Very Happy (not that it stops me getting lost now and again Laughing ).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
espri wrote:
The only idea I've ever had was that it might help if the pistes had arrows on them, showing what was up and what was down. But maybe that would make the map even more complicated.

I think that would actually help a lot, particularly for people not yet familiar with the general layout of the area.

Quote:

The best solution is probably to live around here for about 30 years and then you don't need to bother about the map Very Happy (not that it stops me getting lost now and again Laughing ).

Definitely the best solution! Wish I could, but I don't think my wife would agree.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For next winter piste numbers have been added to the SkiWelt piste map. Whether that will help or just make things even more confusing, I'm not sure! For those who are more modern than me, the SkiWelt also makes available applications for mobile phones (= handys in German terminology).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Result Very Happy Piste numbers and even a fair few direction arrows on the piste map. Hopefully signage on the mountains will agree with the map.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely the answer is to produce 'proper' maps with lifts and pistes marked on them. I know that you can get one for Sella Ronda. Are there any others published?

Why are skiers judged to be too dim to read a map properly? In the rest of life we seem to be able to cope, do we all get stupid when we head out on skis?

Resorts could still produce their pretty pictures for publicity purposes, but for skiing I would much prefer maps with contour lines, where the orientation of the slope is obvious, as is which way is 'down'.

I have a copy of the Which Where to Ski guide from 1995. That had proper maps in it. More of the same please.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found this map (http://www.bavarianskiclub.com/SkiWelt%20LARGE%20map.jpg ) with a googly of 'ski welt piste map' on Google images with the 'Large' image filter selected.

It's enormous. The runs even have arrows in congested areas or when the direction might be unclear.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 3-09-10 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
would it not be easier to read if it were swung round 90 degrees to the left so looking at it side on, rather than length on?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy