Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any body else going to the Summer Camp in Les Deux Alpes?

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx, http://transisere.fr/ftp/FR_Lignes/3030%20Printemps.pdf is the bus timetable and you want 'Jours de circulation Période Scolaire' for buses from Grenoble. There are also regular buses from both Lyon and Grenoble airports to Grenoble bus station - they always tie up though. Sad there's also TGV from Lyon airport to the station. I could probably pick people up from an airport for a modest fee, provided most came at vaguely somparable times. Bear in mind that I'll be able to take 6 passengers in the E Team van, but it does like a drink! Shocked

rich.ll, holidayloverxx, RachelQ, Tolls are about £60 for a car, Mileage from Calais about 660 or so. It's probably cheaper and easier if there are 3 or more of you to drive TBH. JT can probably get you a good deal on a ferry, or pool the Tesco vouchers for the tunnel. Everyone I know who drives regularly uses that method of payment. I don't think Telepeage is worth it out of high season and with a passenger in the left front seat.

Of course it's deffo on - Fastman's booked his ticket for 2 weeks. rolling eyes There is another lady (not a snowhead) who's booked for the second week and is looking for a roomie too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx, sure, let me know...

regards a bus up from Grenoble... ? IIRC the last one up is around 1730 and that went to Le Grave. Cost about 15eu one way, I think This info is 2 years old now and in the winter
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, A quick question for clarification. Your web page says 6 days Saturday to Saturday. I assume it's 6 days of lessons Sunday to Friday, with the Saturdays being the travel days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, it's not that I'm totally anti-driving, we've driven to ski holidays so many times over the years I couldn't count them. But on our return journey from VT a week ago we saw 3 really horrible accidents - the aftermath rather than the actual crashes - but the kind where there would have been dead bodies rather than casualties, 2 on French motorways and 1 on the M25, so I guess given the choice I'd rather fly/train than share the road with loonies.

I've used the coach from Grenoble to L2A before, albeit in the winter, and it was cheap and very convenient. Let's keep looking at our options - I'd much prefer to travel with you, for both cost and fun reasons. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, and another quick question for Easiski. Will the ski hire shops be open?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, thanks - will have a look, and thanks for suggesting you could possible pick up (and that would be a welcome option if the connections are pants - I'd rather pay you!)

RachelQ, I am happy with whatever - need to look in earnest at flights and the coach timetable, and trains as well.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 30-04-09 22:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RachelQ, I've looked at the bus timetable from Grenoble Gare Routiere, and there are 2 buses a day on saturday (there are more options to Bourg d'oisans) the fare looks to be 7.40eu each way:

Grenoble: 07:25 - LDA: 09:05 and Grenoble: 14:15 - LDA: 15:55

LDA: 11:10 - Grenoble: 12:50 and LDA: 17:00 - 18:45

Flights not looking great TBH

Ryanair to Grenoble is not available sat - sat

Easyjet outward: Gatwick 06:35 - Lyon 09:15 and Stansted 13:35 - Lyon 16:20 (the Gatwick flight would connect with the 14:15 from grenoble, but it's a hellish early start)

EasyJet inbound: Lyon 09:45 - Gatwick 09:45 and Lyon 20:55 - Stansted 21:35 (the Gatwick flight doesn't connect with a bus from LDA, the 11:10 bus from LDA would connect with the Stansted flight, so its returning to a different airport BUT the timetable says "circule le 14/7" and "circule le 15/8" - what does that mean?)

BA only have late flights whcih would probably mean a friday flight with stopover in Lyon

Swiss have flights to Lyon at various times but with a change in Zurich, and it inbound doesn;t connect with a bus at Grenoble

so.... I'm not really liking the connections and the lengthy gaps where the bus is possible, so am thinking either car hire (£200ish Shocked ) at Lyon or see if Charlotte is willing to do a pick up.

If we look at the train, we'll still have to look at the bus connections, or again see if Charlotte could pick up at Grenoble Gare Routiere, or a taxi.

If flights are around £150 each, plus car hire at £200, plus petrol (plus maybe parking at the airport or train fare), you are looking at £500+ for two. I reckon it would be cheaper & more convenient to drive, (but RachelQ, I understand why you prefer not to), but if we can strike a deal with Charlotte then that would probably make flights more appealing.

I don't think we can go any further on the transport till we know if trains are available and the times, and/or other folk's travel details to ses if we can co-ordinate arrivals.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
... and while there are at least 6 trains a day from Paris to Grenoble no availability is coming up with RailEurope; I have put in other destinations for the same dates and got availability, also tried though Eurostar - London to Paris is available but not the Paris - Grenoble leg, have checked 1st & 2nd class so it really does look as though Grenoble trains are sold out Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, There are loads of spaces on the Paris-Lyon trains but it seems that info on the Lyon Grenoble link is broken. Give it a day or two and try again or call Rail Europe directly. First give Rail Canterbury a call Telephone: 01227 450088. They've a reputation for good deals.
edit: weirdly, it's no problem and plenty of space from Lyon to Marseille Puzzled

Has Grenoble seceded from the Great Republic and now ostracised by SNCF?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the timetable says "circule le 14/7" and "circule le 15/8" - what does that mean?)

It means the service continues to run on those two dates, both of which are bank holidays.

You could also consider Eurolines.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd second Rail Canterbury.... they have always been good to me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rich.ll, Yes.

RachelQ, Yes - Jutta will do a special deal for the camp. skis only (top class) for €75 for the week, skis and boots €90. shop will be open Sat pm to be ready for Sun early. Remember it's early starts in the summer. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, thanks - I'll have to try some new skis then, my replacements won't be back by then.
easiski wrote:
Remember it's early starts in the summer. Toofy Grin
No problem, this is going to be healthy, detoxing, fit week, early nights etc.......
Oh, I've just remembered I'm sharing with holidayloverxx Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Lizzard, thanks fot that - will look again - I assume it's a direct train to grenoble, not change at Lyon?

RachelQ, Oi!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, there are BA flights Heathrow-Lyon which look as if they may work for you (3 a day, one looks as if it may work with bus-times). Look a bit pricy though (approaching £100 each way) and down to their last few tickets at those prices.
ski holidays
GrahamN, the only availaibility I found for BA was late evening flights - I'll have to look again.
snow report
holidayloverxx, 0840 Heathrow-Lyon at £112 and 2000 Lyon-Heathrow at £67 - good flight times I reckon. And surely cheaper than the train all the way.
snow conditions
Expect the train to be ITRO £125... from London -change in Paris- to Grenoble. MFE tho....
It shouldn't go via Lyon..or didn't in my case.

I think the car would cost £250-ish inc tolls and petrol and depending what price the channel hop.......
snow conditions
RachelQ, where did you find that? does the arrival time tie up with a bus? - who is the carrier?
latest report
holidayloverxx, they're BA flights, but we'd have get to Grenoble and the online train pages aren't working for Grenoble so I can't tell what time the trsins run, or what they cost. The other choice of course, is get to Grenoble and take advantage of Easiski's kind offer of transport, then the bus times don't matter.

I've sent you a PM.
snow report
RachelQ, there is a bus from Lyon airport to Grenoble railway station.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, for info it cost me €80 for tolls then two tanks of petrol (80L=95ish€) plus €28 for the ferry to come back on Wed. The petrol might be down to having a packed car and 5 sets of skis plus 2 boards on the roof! Left L2A at 0830 and made the 1800 ferry at Dunkerque not speeding but didn't really stop on the way other than for fuel. If there's two of you it's way cheaper than any other form of transport.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, have you a link for a timetable?

Swirly, thanks for the info, for simplicity alone driving is a good optionplus the likely cost benefit, but for reasons that RachelQ has set out earlier in the thread she prefers not to go by car this time so we are trying alternatives

RachelQ, have replied
snow report
easiski, I have mentioned the Summer Camps to Caistorskier (Judith) but she says she really cannot afford it - she was clearly tempted though!
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Link for Lyon/Grenoble Bus
latest report
Colin B, thanks, will have a look
snow report
Colin B, thanks, not quick enough this morning.
ski holidays
Just a head's up . . . trains from Paris to Grenoble are back up and . . . not very cheap Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, just had another look on Rail europe and nothing coming up - am I doing something wrong, I wonder Puzzled
snow report
holidayloverxx, Try looking at sncf.com
snow conditions
easiski, "no train did match your wishes travel". I am choosing Paris and Grenoble (3Cool Gare Routiere, trying morning outbound and midday back but have tried other combinations,. This really is far too complicated Evil or Very Mad
snow report
holidayloverxx, cracked it! There is availability for the return but not for the outbound as far as I can tell.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, why don't you try JT's suggestion and phone Rail Canterbury http://www.rail-canterbury.co.uk/contact.htm . I've booked via SNCF site before but it's a pain sometimes.
ski holidays
Don't Easyjet do Gatwick-Lyon ?
snow report
Helen Beaumont, stansted are better times but to connect with the bus at grenoble it's a gatwick is a 06.35 flight, then to get back the bus back to grenoble we woudl have to get flights back to stansted, so driving to the airport isn't an option I will give canterbury a call, but tbh I found the SNCF site very straightforward, i genuinely believe that there is no avaiability Paris - Grenoble on 27th June.

the flight option seems such a faff. for BA flights Chelmsford - Liverpool St, Liverpool St - Holborn, Holborn - Heathrow, Heathrow - Lyon, Lyon - Grenoble, Grenoble - LDA (with no means of getting to LDA apart from taxi unless Charlotte can weave some magic). for EJ it would be Chelmsford - liverpool St, Liverpool St - victoria (or other connecting station), Victoria - Gatwick, Gatwick - Lyon, Lyon - Grenoble, Grenoble - LDA. I don't know how it would work for Rachel. I'll give her a call.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx. I can see why you would prefer to drive or take the train.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I've already said I will fetch you, so you shouldn't be stressing about bus timetables. If it doesn't fit I'll do the run. Getting here is no. 1 priority. WRT TGV-Europe I think you need to get the tickets to Paris/Lille separately from the onward tickets. It's clearly quite expensive though. Taxis are expensive because it's a long way. Obviously it's easier to pick you up from Grenoble station, but airports are possible too.

RachelQ, I can see why you're a bit shaken up by your last experience, but in all the years of driving backwards and forwards more than once a year I've never seen any bad accidents. I was held up on the M25 for one once, but sat and read my book in the services until I heard it was all clear, so I never saw anything then either. I think you were really unlucky, but were you travelling at high season? June and the beginning of July is pretty quiet on the roads, and you'd all save money if you drove.
ski holidays
We've seen a few minor bumps, but only one major accident, and that was being cleared away. We've driven there over 10 times since 2005 .
snow report
RachelQ, Just to add to those last few posts, the same goes for us. The autoroutes are safe roads (as are our motorways) and I think you were very unlucky. We drive back and forth a lot, and rather to my surprise we've not come across any bad accidents - or any minor ones, come to that. We drive within the limit, and leave huge gaps between us and the vehicle in front - no reason not to, on those very uncrowded roads. We stop every two hours for a coffee and leg stretch and get straight off the motorway if there's any fog. Those are the cardinal safety rules, really. We've driven over 20 times since 2002 (lost count long ago....).
ski holidays
easiski, thanks, I've stopped stressing about the bus, it's a total non-starter - WE WILL GET THERE (we're snowHeads !) Very Happy I'll speak to Rachel and see what she wants to do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy