Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any body else going to the Summer Camp in Les Deux Alpes?

Poster: A snowHead
Masque wrote:
I predict the winner of the Ladies race may well have a second trophy within her grasp.
Actually, I've got two already Blush

Masque, I think you flatter me, but I must admit that after a couple of days of getting used to them, the Race Tigers and I got on very well. However I can't afford, and don't want, a quiver, so I'll have to stick to the Missions, when the new replacement ones arrive.

rob@rar, I quite fancy trying some gates, but would be very nervous of being a beginner amongst experts.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RachelQ wrote:
rob@rar, I quite fancy trying some gates, but would be very nervous of being a beginner amongst experts.

You wouldn't be amongst experts, and the gates we do are a bit of fun (or an impossible challenge) at the end of the session. The main focus is working on foundation skills through drills and exercises, much like I think you've done with Fastman and easiski over the past week. It's a good way to improve your skiing in between holidays.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just stuck in the DVD which easiski kindly made up for each of us. Three videos were taken sight unseen alongside the drill videos; One on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to show progression through the week. What a difference! I'm certainly convinced that the solid week of drills was worth it, particularly after our last run as a group down the pristine ex-french race piste on the Dome on Friday.

holidayloverxx covered nicely what all has happened: Early starts to firm pistes, with signal softening very early lower down but with excellent conditions until close 3250m-ish and upwards. I was in easiski's group, however I believe Fast man's group followed a similar pattern. We had a lot of work on edging and balance, with some other excerises to help correct stance & posture. Towards the end of each day, we revisited a couple of drills for video review and to marvel at how much we had improved in only 4 hours Happy

The weather held up all week with blue skies and warm temperatures, unfortunately for anyone planning a trip later in the summer the deterioration in the snow depth in just one week was considerable. I had a before/after pic taken from the Restaurant however my phone's gone in for repair (broken headphone socket) so I may or may not get them back to post up.

My hotel room was excellent with BBC1 for watching the tennis, and there was a large pool by hotel standards. While not being next door it was an easy walk to the Jandri Express in the morning to meet our waiting fans the race kids.

Thanks Charlotte Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, and the shame of it is that ski schools often don't bother to teach these core skills. Sad It's not that hard a sell to beginners etc. The thing that was a bit of a shame is that it was originally aimed at the L1-L2 type, and none of them came. Sad

andytb, Thanks. The thing that really was soooooooo cool for us, was that without any consultation at all we more often than not found we'd done almost the exact same things with out groups that day. We knew going in that we were in broad agreement WRT principles and progression etc. but the almost uncanny 'twinning' that went on was really extraordinary. Very Happy I did start a thread a while back about skills vs form based teaching, and the point is that exercises work (while Rick may have done drills I did exercises rolling eyes rolling eyes ) Just telling peeps how to do something doesn't work nearly as well - they end up with 'holes' in their skiing, and unfortunately most ski schools don't encourage a skills based system. Sad

Poor Rick is now on his way home - 04.00 check in at Lyon this morning and flying via Frankfurt and Houston to Denver. Shocked Shocked He should be in Denver about 06.00 tomorrow morning, then it's just a 2hour drive from there. Major dedication. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
rob@rar, and the shame of it is that ski schools often don't bother to teach these core skills. Sad It's not that hard a sell to beginners etc. The thing that was a bit of a shame is that it was originally aimed at the L1-L2 type, and none of them came. Sad

I would have loved to have been there, but it's just about impossible for me to be in the Alps during the sumer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Accepted - but there are lots of others who might have been able to come but never expressed an interest - shame really. Not to mention more than one who used to rave about both of us ....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, I don't think you can take it personally. I expressed an interest and then found work was not really going to be conducive with a week off coinciding with either week, others probably couldn't even be interested due to other holidays, family commitments etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Major dedication.

Certainly was, and I hope Rick realises how much we appreciated his input. And it makes those DVDs come alive, having skied with him! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, Certainly there were many (and you were one) who were interested but unable to come. There are others, though Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
<sigh> I wish I had got off my sofa and come along now Sad

Mind you I did have a lot going on here last week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lampbus, We did miss you.

I hear that Fast man has safely arrived at home now, but had issues with US customs!! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

issues with US customs!!

he should have left all those French sausages behind!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glad to hear you're home safe Fast man, that was quite a journey!

I took a few pictures last week but here are just a few of them, from the start to the end of a morning (although maybe not the same morning).

The view from our hotel balcony, time about 0630.

and a surprisingly happy looking group for 0640, just about to start the walk to the lifts. Fortunately no skis to carry, we all left them up the mountain.

This was the sight that greeted us every morning before 0700. But wonderfully, Easiski had organized access straight to the lifts so we bypassed the lot of them. The booing and hissing got worse as the week went on, but we managed to mostly ignore it. Madeye-Smiley

Looking out of the gondola on the way up - the sun rising on green mountains.

But it was all white once we got there.

We started our class on Signal until it became too soft at the bottom,

and every day we were taught new exercises and positions, as explained here by Fast man

We'd finish sometime after 1230 and gather together on the terrace at the resto,

where we did a bit of training for apres skiing Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ, great pictures. Sums it up nicely! snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RachelW great pics - see you managed to get into the last one too. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
RachelQ, lovely pics - nice background on the last one wink
snow report
pam w, it does, doesn't it Very Happy
easiski, I've no idea who took that photo - someone got hold of my camera. I like being on the other side. Toofy Grin
holidayloverxx, there are more. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
RachelQ, indeed... gnarly dude pics Little Angel ? (fair's fair....)
ski holidays
RachelQ, great pics, esp that last one of holidayloverxx Smile

I know I expressed an interest in this ages ago, but I've been so busy with a major project at work this summer it would have been impossible for me to make it Sad

Really envious, it sounds and looks brilliant.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
RachelQ, indeed... gnarly dude pics Little Angel ? (fair's fair....)
OK, if I must Laughing
latest report
Nice thatch Laughing wink
latest report
RachelQ, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
RachelQ, what fun. Who was the moustache?
snow conditions
achilles, That was deliberate1 from the US, lovely chap (as was Mrs D - lovely chapess that is)
latest report
achilles, One of the best soup strainers I've seen and a crackin' chap to boot.
snow conditions
Masque, come away with any new concepts or was it just body drills and practice?
ski holidays
Wow - amazing photos. Glad to hear a great time was had by all at the courtesy of Fast and Easy (brilliant, lol) but I would ask all not to take offence at those who could not come.. the economic climate especially for those of us with families does make things very hard indeed. We are struggling to take the children away skiing this winter and we have given up a lot to commit to do so.. so please don't take it personally - two years ago, this event would have been over subscribed.
latest report
comprex wrote:
Masque, come away with any new concepts or was it just body drills and practice?

I was completing alpine edging and balance skills on a centre mounted (Scott P3) twin-tip with telemark binding. It did give me further insight into the mechanical interface between the ski and the snow. . . and in this case the incompetence of the operator wink

I'm now quite sure that describing concentric paths is an easily defined set of forces, bending moment and ski shape . . . BUT the overriding variable is the snow itself in its density and structure.

As for how I skied? You'll have to ask fastman
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Libertine, I am not taking it personally, there was one particular person I had in mind ............... We both recognise that it is a difficult time for many. The shame of it is that we are not certain to be able to repeat it next year due to family commitments on Fastman's part. I'm sure we'd both like to - but with a full week rather than 2 halves.
snow report
Yes, as reported already, I've arrived back in the US safe and sound. Long trip, extended slightly by US customs procedures that caused me to miss my connection in Houston. I'm now a big fan of the way more casual customs habits in Europe. Collect your luggage then recheck it yourself onto your connecting flight???? Uncle Sam I fear has gone senile! rolling eyes

Anyway, onto my trip report. What a fabulous 2 weeks! It was great to finally put faces and personalities to some of the names I've been interacting with here on the forum for a while now. And what nice mix of super personalities it turned out to be. On the slopes everyone worked very hard, then off the slopes found smiles and laughter abounding. The photos that have been shared here serve testimony to what a great group of people it was to spend my 2 week adventure with!

And what a stunningly beautiful corner of the world Les Deux Alps is. For the first week I often found myself lost in just gazing at the majesty of the mountains that surrounded our little village. And the trip down to the little town of Venosc, with its old and traditional architecture, seemed like a journey back in time that made for a very special and memorable afternoon.

Onto the skiing. This was the first official Building Blocks camp. easiski and I are both skills based teachers, and for never having met in person, much less ever working together, it was quite fascinating to see how closely our teaching philosophies and methodologies matched. There was a thread here on Snowheads a few months ago on Skills vs Form based teaching. At the time I felt that the message of the differences between the two, and the attributes of the skills based formula were not being adequately conveyed and understood, but the participants of these 2 camps now have a clear and first hand understanding. They were submerged in 6 intense days of skills based training, and the improvements that took place were inspiring.

We started with basic balance skills. Not how to ski in a single balance state, but rather in many. To feel the contrasts, understand the attributes and applications of each, become keenly aware of what balance state we were in at every moment, and learn how to alter that state at will. For many, it was their first introduction to base of foot pressure awareness, and by the end of camp the new balancing skills everyone was able to employ in their skiing was very impressive.

We went on from there to basic edging skills, and how to apply them to various turn shapes. Narrow track steering, wide track steering, skid angles, turn radii, degree of turn. How all these things relate to speed and turn shape management. How to use them to come to enjoy that top of the turn acceleration experience, and to avoid that fear/habit based tail push that plagues the transitions of most recreational skiers. We combined this with a buffet of various foundation edging skills; sideslips, engage/release, 180 sideslips, falling leaf, and the dreaded backslider. In the end, there wasn't a pivot to be found in the transitions of any of our Fast & Easy campers. That skill alone puts them in very select company on any recreational skiing slope in the world.

It was quite fascinating that although we spent very little time carving, our work on refining our steering skills caused carving to spontaneously spring forth. At one point when doing a non related drill, we looked back to see 8 perfect carve tracks the campers had scribed in the snow while executing the drill. I even took a picture of the tracks, and will post it here as soon as I get a chance. I should restate,,, it was fascinating to the campers. For me, it was another day at the office, as this is the common outcome when teaching foundation steering skills in this manner. Happens all the time. People can try to carve for years, but until the foundation skills are developed a high quality arc to arc carve can prove very evasive. In contrast, work on the base skills and it usually springs forth without even really trying.

We finished the weeks work by focusing on basic rotation, angulation, flexion/extension, and transitions. Campers learned about counter, what it's for, and how to achieve it. RachelQ had a major breakthrough at this point, and was suddenly linking fast and powerful turns in a strong position. Very much a cumulative outcome of all the hard work she'd put into foundation balance and edging skill building earlier, but wow, was she flying.

pam w had a breakthrough of her own when introduced to ILE (inside leg extension) transitions. She took to it like a fish to water, and her skiing suddenly took on a newfound smoothness and elegance. Her comment, "where has this transition been all my skiing life?" It was quite apparent the work Pam had been devoting to her Building Blocks training prior to coming to camp. Her balance/edging skills were well developed and it really paid off in what she was able to take out of the camp.

While singing the praises of others, Masque has been rather modest about his own accomplishments at camp. He chose to step up the learning challenge by coming to camp sporting a telemark set-up. That he was able to do the many balance and edging drills I threw at him on that gear was quite impressive. I could see him work through each new challenge I presented him, sort it out, and deduct what alterations he had to make to achieve the desired performance outcome. By the end of camp he was skiing in a totally new balance and body position, and went away with a much expanded skill set that will serve him well in whatever form of snow sliding he chooses. I told him that I anticipate he'll experience a big performance jump when he takes his new skills to his alpine skis. The modern and efficient turns and body positions he demonstrated at the end of camp was something to behold. I see more breakthroughs in your alpine future.

deliberate1 is an excellent skier who brought an old school skiing approach to camp with him. Feet locked in classic Stein fashion, with an elegant tail swoosh to start the turn. As a long time skier these embedded movement patterns can be bugs to break, but he made great strides in doing just that. D may not know this, but I created a drill on the spot to help him overcome, and it turned out to be a great one that I will be using extensively with other students in the future. Now I just need to name it. Anyway,,, D made great strides embedding a new position and movement pattern in his skiing. It will take further work, of course, but he's well on the way to building a new way of skiing that will allow him to experience the full performance capabilities of the new equipment. Keep working on those base skills that you did so well with in camp. They'll continue to help you interrupt and supplant your old skiing style with new options.

Mrs deliberate came to camp with a rushed turn entry and bit of a stem initiation. I'm please to say that those elements are history. At camp she did a great job of building new balance and edging skills, and she now has many new options in her turn shapes. I was quite impressed on the last day when playing the "pick a drill" game, that she chose as her drill one that required us to turn on our inside foot with the outside ski lifted up in the air. It's a skill that few skiers ever master, but she's well on her way. She left camp with a new set of skills that will lead her towards a new experience of what skiing can be.

Finally, dfl came to us as a relatively new skier, with limited days under his belt. His passion for the sport was infectious, reminding me of that childlike fascination that permeated my soul when I first stepped onto a pair of skis so many years ago. It was fun watching him work so hard at mastering the new skills he was learning, and seeing him achieve success. And Mrs dfl, a professional dance instructor left with many new steps in here skiing skills repertoire. But her biggest achievement may have been teaching me to salsa! No small task! What a fun night that was.

So all in all, a great camp. It's so much fun for me to watch people build their skills and take their skiing to new plateaus. Our campers had the rare opportunity to be surrounded by great skiers/racers from all over the world, watch them train, and see the product of that training. It was so rewarding for me to be going up the lift with my campers and listen to them point out a drill the racers were doing, name it, and point out it's purpose,,, because they'd done it. To not only recognize that what they were witnessing was great skiing, but to be able to identify the specific technical elements of the racers technique that made it great; the counter, the inside hip drive, the angulation, and the parallel shins. Almost all our campers experienced this same epiphany of new technical understanding.

Will we do it again next season? easiski and I have been discussing it. I'd love to, but much depends on how things progress here at home. If we do we'll present it much earlier than we did this year. I'm sure, along with the current ugly economy, the short notice of the camp contributed to the less than capacity numbers. Also, we'd probably only offer a single camp, and expand to a second week only if numbers warranted it.

Thanks everyone for your hard work and enthusiasm at the camp. I had a great time meeting and working with each of you! I'll get some pics up soon.
snow report
FastMan, Great to hear from you, I do hope you're not too jet-lagged and that the grass hasn't grown too much in your absence.

I want to re-iterate again how hard all the participants worked and how much they all improved. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, it rained here every afternoon while I was gone. As such, the grass was over my knees. I got home at 11pm and went to work the next morning, so I didn't give jet lag a chance to mess with me.
ski holidays
Just to echo the positive comments already voiced by the group. Many thanks to Charlotte and Rick for raising our collective game. It was an excellent way to confront bad habits and find ways to reinforce new skills. The company was great; I must fess up to taking C's beer pic, a photo opp which I couldn't resist. Right now I'm, boring the pants off my younger two with reruns and demos. A bientot
ski holidays
I sure hope there is a future camp, and that I will be of a standard to take part by then!
ski holidays
olpanije, Nice to hear from you - I assume you're back in the heat now!

Butterfly, We will be thinking of you if we do it again. Very Happy
ski holidays
Masque, have you been able to publish any of your helmet-cam footage yet?
latest report
andytb, i spoke to him on Saturday - he's working on it.
latest report
easiski, thank you snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
This afternoon I spent two hours at xscape working on skiing on the uphill ski! Something that I repeatedly didn't-quite-get at the camp. I'm rather happy with my progress, by the end I was holding my balance pretty well and was starting to do a couple of turns, thought the width of the slope doesn't lend itself to long traverses.

Very Happy
snow conditions
andytb, Well done! All those skill development exercises, give a whole new purpose to skiing in a very restricted area don't they. Agreed the width is a problem though. Keep trying. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy