Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any body else going to the Summer Camp in Les Deux Alpes?

Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont, FastMan, told me that was an advantage to arriving from USA and potential jetlag.... you have no idea what the time SHOULD be.... so you just reset body clock to the early start time...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Now at last I understand Inner Leg Extension:

So I heard... well done Pam Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
we,ve just finished; all in one piece: Now at last I understand Inner Leg Extension:

SWEET! Have ILE, ski on four edges.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All checked in and waiting on my first flight of the day. See you all soon!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travel safe andytb, have fun....

ouch early start for you?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just starting to pack Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, have a great time....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.... and we're off Very Happy see everyone tonight Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx,mumble mumble mumble ...... Grrrrrrrrr.... Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, and where would you want to do that ? Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, the first week's skiers are now on their way, and I'm shortly on my way to Lyon airport to pick up 4 or 5 of this week's crew. Results last week were great - everyone improved considerably and were skiing really nicely by the end of the week. They did work very hard, and were all pretty tired by last night. I left the hotel as they were preparing to watch their 'take home' video on Pam W's laptop. None of them had seen this footage which we shot on 3 days of the week so they could see their progress. I'm sure they were all very pleased with themselves, and no doubt will post before too long about their week. Very Happy

Fast man has been teaching this morning too, but I've been lazing! OTOH he can laze and watch Wimbledon this afternoon while I'm driving. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, did I forget ‘will travel’? So I did. A calamitous lapse.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well we are now back in our Alpine "home", collapsed in front of Wimbledon with a beer, having unpacked a week's worth of fresh food because there are no shops open up here at present.

I am resolved to make some notes about the things we've been doing, and what I particularly have to watch out for and practice, but having Rick's DVDs means that I can always check up on what's needed - though the ILE is on the Transitions DVD which is still in progress. There's so much on those DVDs - far more than you can get through in 6 x 4-hour lessons. It rained down in L2A last night, so we were hoping it would have snowed a bit up top, though it must have been a bit marginal given the temperatures. We were extraordinarily lucky with the conditions, and I just hope it doesn't mush up too much for the campers arriving today.

There are lots of things to do in L2A - some of them free with the liftpass, but we were generally too tired after the early start and a 4 hour lesson at that altitude to do much! The trip down to Venosc on the gondola was well worth while - it was 30 degrees down there - but we only managed to walk up the very steep path through the old village as far as the nearest bar, for a cool beer. All those energetic afternoon activities were rather wasted on us, I'm afraid.

The camp was a great idea and it's a pity there were not more participants to take advantage of it - though of course it did mean we had fantastic tuition, with a very high ratio of coaches to skiers! Charlotte and Rick have been working really hard for us all, and I hope we did them justice! Thanks, guys! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Talk about rain - you should have seen the state of Ioda when he came in. Shocked Just back from collecting everyone - we're all in safe and sound and dinner was nice and friendly, so we're looking forward to this week. Very Happy Of course I woke up at 05.00 this morning even though I didn't have to. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pic of my group on the Dome last Thursday courtesy of David Ash.
snow report
easiski, some lovely angulation there, Charlotte!
snow report
pam w, Glad you can see anything - I thought it was good to show the scale though!

good first day today, everyone was going well by the end and we took it easy for the first morning. Very Happy The first video session went off OK inthe evening, and the swimming pool is now open so most had had a swim. Very Happy
ski holidays
A great day, here's the group (missing one) resting on the terrace at 3,200m after skiing. Very Happy
ski holidays
Charlotte & Rick, thanx for a super week. The ski coaching was the best my wife and I have ever received, the group was super friendly and the weather cooperated exceptionally well. Definitely one for the books.
latest report
dfl, It was great to meet you D. Hope to see you again in the not tooooo distant future. Very Happy

Today was great! Everyone skied really well and the weather was hot and sunny. Here's a pic, first of my group at the top of the world, and then of the whole group including Fastman. I'm about to upload a vid of my guys skiing, and some of you who know the peeps concerned will surely be amazed at how well they're doing. Very Happy
ski holidays
Here's the link to the video - it's quite long.
first skier is Holidayloverxx second is ABell, third Mary and fourth Caistor Skier
ski holidays
today was hot and sunny again, and all the guys did really well. Now it's near the end of the week we're beginning to see the fruits of everyone's labour, and it's really exciting. Very Happy Hopefully some of this week's guys will post soon to tell you how it went. Here's a pic of my group on the Signal this morning.
snow report
easiski, I can't watch the videos on my mega-slow connection here, but glad to hear everyone is having a good time. Here it's time for relaxing, and picking wild strawberries. Wish I had some snow though, to practice the things I learnt last week. Tony has been waxing and edging the skis - out in the hot sun. Seems strange.
ski holidays
pam w, You'll just have to content yourself with watching Rick's DVDs! Laughing
snow report
Have just caught up with this thread - so glad the skiing is going well even if the numbers aren't what you hoped for. It looks like the weather is stunning - great for people, not so for snow! I had a look at your video. CaistorSkier looks so relaxed and her skiing looks effortless and such a contrast to how she used to throw her body, shoulders first, into each turn. Putting less strain on her body should enable her to keep skiing for many years to come. I still can't believe she's 70!
ski holidays
Just arrived back in Stansted, phew!! What a great week. Will assemble some thoughts shortly Happy
ski holidays
I've just seen Fast Man off at the bus stop for his 24 hour trip home - poor him. We were both very pleased (atually chuffed to bits) with everyone's improvement throughout the week.. I couldn't really single out anyone to be most proud of, but I do want to mention Caistor Skier who has learned to flex her ankles and knees and to stop rotating in just 3 weeks - at an above pensionable age. So it just goes to prove that you can teach an old dog new tricks if said old dog (not meant how it might sound) wants to learn them. Laughing Laughing

Thanks everyone who's been on the camp for a great time, and doubtless Fast man will post in due course. Very Happy
snow report
What a wonderful week. Very Happy This is a very quick post in between washing, cleaning and about to go food shopping to say a massive thank you to easiski and Fast man for the Summer Camp. Your dedication and enthusiasm are the reasons we all improved so much through the week - watching everybody skiing for the final video on Friday was proof of that.

Suffice to say that I've been practising my new found skills doing jobs this morning - I've found myself brushing my teeth with my weight forward and hanging up the washing with my hips angulated and knee tilted - positions that just feel natural now Laughing

My two defining moments of the week were when Fast man told me I'd made a breakthrough, and when easiski said I didn't ski like a girl any more. Laughing

I can't wait to go to Hemel next Saturday to try it all out again.

Oh, and the company was pretty wonderful too. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ, Now you're just graceful. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I completely agree with RachelQ. I was in easiski's group with andytb, Caistor Skier and olpanije (who doesn't post much but I hope will do in future, and to whom thanks for chauffeuring).

We arrived on Saturday to a lovely dinner with easiski and Fast Man then an early night ready for breakfast at 6.15 and on the lift at 7.00 Shocked. Thankfully because we were with easiski we could get priority and managed to avoid (mostly) the scrum of 100's of kids on their racing camps all pushing and shoving to get on the lifts first. Once up the mountain the lessons started at 8.00am and ran till 12.30 with a half hour break at the resto. In reality we kept going till nearer 1.00 as the snow was so good higher up the glacier, and once the racers had gone there was loads of space to have some fun. Even when they were training there was plenty of room.

The lessons were mostly drills, with some free skiing for the video to show the improvement. The drills were a mix of new and familar and challenged each of us in different ways. Lots of work on balance and getting on the edges and by the end of the week we had all improved significantly, rotating and "old school" skiing were consigned to history.

The snow held up well, starting with Signal till around 10.00 (slushy at the bottom by then) then up to the top for better snow after the break. We went off-piste a couple of times (first time for me) and had a go on the rollers in the park (loved it!). Every night we had a run through of the day's video, watching both easiski and Fast Man's groups and learning from both then onto dinner and a few quiet nights in the bar (yes, they were quiet with the early starts!).

We bumped into Euan and Dave ( snowHead's instructors), which was great and rounded the week off with a garden party at easiski's chalet - a view to die for!.

Extra mention I think must be made of the deliberates who came all the way from the US (late happy Fourth of July to you both) - so glad you did Very Happy

It was a shame more people didn't sign up for this, but the benefit for us was the small groups and 4+ hours of tuition a day. I don't know if it will run again, but if it does I would strongly recommend it. Very Happy
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I'm looking for the grovelling smilie after all that praise - thanks. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, well deserved, both of you - those of us who attended one of the two camps were very priveleged to have such a lot of high-quality tuition all to ourselves. More than we merited, I suspect - I hope we can keep up the standard!!
latest report
Showered, Shaved had a S*** and Settled in at friend's for a couple of days so it's time for a bit of reflection.

WOW! What a week and for those that have never tried it, a solid week of control and balance drills is a proper blessing . . . if tempered by fatigue, pain and the ritual embarrassment of watching it on tape every night Sad

But out of that came some quite extraordinary changes to skiing abilities and all for the better! Some went far beyond what you'd think possible in such a short time, here are just a few:

RachelQ, was handed a pair of Volkl RaceTigers and spent 3 days being taken for a clearly uncomfortable and difficult ride and then something 'clicked' and the difference was amazing . . . all of a sudden we've a right Domatrix whipping these über-stiff expert level skis into submission to her will. It was a delight to watch and there are many male snowheads that are going to experience SevereShrunkenScroteSyndrome the next time they try to keep up with her at the next bash Twisted Evil I predict the winner of the Ladies race may well have a second trophy within her grasp. Gentlemen you have been warned.

But she's not the only one: . . .
holidayloverxx is another different skier to the beginning of the week, now smooth, articulated at the hips and having fast fun. And if Caistor Skier will forgive the allegory, she can never again be accused of skiing a bit like a concrete garden gnome. She's genuinely skiing with the body dynamic of a lady 30 years her junior.
It was a journey of exploration in many ways for the deliberates. Not one foreign language but 'two' were overcome with panache and their elegant classic skiing was introduced to another culture shock of modern dynamism. Both took on-board huge changes to their skiing styles and met that challenge . . . kudos to you both.

A couple of real surprises were olpanije and andytb, I'd only seen them ski at the beginning of the week and thought they, like most of us were a bit tentative. Then on the last day, we had a bit of free skiing and I tried to headcam andytb down a steep red and found it far more of a challenge that at first conceived, only just staying in touch, then in the last couple of seconds olpanije comes into shot frame left. I didn't see the run but it must have been epic and a far cry by both from that first run on Sunday.

To you all, you were wonderful company.

easiski, Fast man, I can never thank both of you enough for your work and Rick sorry again for scaring the c**p out of you Embarassed and for the practical challenge of turning up with a tele set up, I'm sure I can do better next time as I've a recording of Ray Mears (a Brit survivalist) demonstrating how to make a pair of skis out of nothing but a tree, fire and a dead reindeer using naught but a hatchet and a blunt spoon . . . I'm finding it compulsive viewing wink

To those who wanted to attend but couldn't, you have my sympathy, you missed a great event.
To those that couldn't be a*sed wink You made it special for those that did Twisted Evil cheers
latest report
Masque, Thank you. Blush Blush Blush Also remembering that andytb, was only doing his fourth week ever.
snow conditions
Masque, my lack of mention of you in my credits was unintentional....but you know who you are. Looking forward to seeign you and RachelQ at Hemel and I will be most disappointed if you haven't fashioned something to ski on wink
ski holidays
Sounds awesome. Well done everyone Smile
latest report
rob@rar, you should put RachelQ through some gate training. Watching her really drive those Tigers was inspiring. She has a significant issue though . . . She now needs a 'quiver' Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque, she should join us on Monday evenings (although this will switch to Thursdays from August). Another skinny ski convert? This place will be crawling with them soon Wink
ski holidays
easiski, Sounds like a brilliant week snowHead I only hope I am able to be part of something like it in the future Sad
ski holidays
Iski, Thank you - I do hope we'll be able to do it again, but that will be decided by circumstances, not us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy