Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Non-Gnarly La Grave 9th April 2009

Poster: A snowHead
easiski kindly agreed to take her good childrens group over to Le Grave for the afternoon and for some parents including snowskisnow, his eldest son and myself to go along too. We set off from LDA about 11.30 and once at Le Grave got the gondola up to the top, fitting and checking transceivers on the way up.

We took easiskis approved route avoiding some of the riskier ways down The view from the top and all the way down was absolutely spectacular and the first half of the descent was relatively straight forward with lovely snow and few hazards. We could see some of the classic couloirs above such as Banane but they can best be left to the experts. Further down some of the technical skiing through trees and moguls was tougher going. The children (aged 12 – 15) were far more accomplished than some of us older ones showing what results some superb tuition can achieve. We finished at P1 and took the gondola down due to snow conditions lower down.

It was a fantastic afternoon thanks to easiski and there are a couple of photos below, the rest will be on Flickr when I get home.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-04-09 20:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, it's quite magical isn't it? We skied La Grave with Charlotte last year and it's one of my favourite skiing memories of all time snowHead not least because Easiski is so confidence inspiring. Fabulous to do it with a bunch of kids Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, I did it with Easiski B and JulesB, it was indeed a magical day out, one of the best I've ever had. I'd climbed there many years ago and during the trip did my 5th and 6th days skiing at le Chazelet whilst looking up at the slopes opposite and hoping that I may someday be able to ski them.

I bet that the kids will be reliving that day many times over the course of their lives. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, I suspect most of them are too young to really appreciate it! rolling eyes They said they enjoyed it, but there was a bit of eye rolling when the views were extolled.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, when I have been there, including with easiski in January, the most daunting bit was the entry onto the opening slope, with had a rutted approach to a fairly icy, and quite exposed traverse on which I built up a fair bit of speed. Very satisfying to do, actually. But if the children were having to do the same thing, then I think they should be pleased with themselves.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sadly there are murmurings of liability issues relating to La Grave's ski area. It famously declares itself a 'skiers' risk' domain, with the lift company excluding itself from conventional liabilities relating to piste maintenance and patrolling. Pistehors.com has a very good article on this, explaining the mountain's original development under the expertise of engineer Denis Creissels (who built the cablecar up to the Aiguille du Midi):

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0909-la-grave-trouble-in-paradise/

It's important, in my view, that the ethos of 'personal risk skiing' should be defended. The law should allow it, and support ski areas who want to warn skiers that they ski at their own risk beyond a clear notice to that effect.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, I agree. I'd heard from easiski that the owner wished to sell up. It certainly doesn't look a viable business proposition as it stands, unfortunately. Great area.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 10-04-09 17:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, Long may it last - real skiing!

achilles, the entrance was much better than in Jan and hardly scary at all. Very Happy Trees to P1 were much worse! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, Good one.. Razz
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Magical day Very Happy As easiski knows I've wanted to ski there for some time..just a pity I didnt do it when a little fitter rolling eyes All the same it was a special day.To see my 13yr old daughter romp her way down was very pleasing.All the kids did well,just a bit of a shame they are too young to fully appreciate the place.Still,they won't forget and,when a little older they are certain to ski it again...and the memory of the first time should return.Us oldies can appreciate it for what it is.....long may it stay exactly as it is Very Happy

Loads of photo's taken rolling eyes With luck some good ones....will post on my return....still got another week here in LDA NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The children (aged 12 – 15) were far more accomplished than some of us older ones showing what results some superb tuition can achieve.

I can personally attest to the quality of easiski's tuition, but would also respectfully point out that, other things being equal, kids are always likely to be heaps better in trees/ruts/wiggly bits than stiff old grownups. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, but they are also better on piste, off piste, on moguls, on steeps, on ice, on slush, they are faster, more stylish .....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A couple more photos

I've uploaded just over half mine to

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colinbuckle/sets/72157616551622468/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, Nice pix.

pam w, I would like to say that it's just kids and adults, but sadly, these are parents who ski OK, but for the most part have used their money for their kid's lessons rather than for themselves. There was a techinical difference. OTOH Colin B, has improved remarkably in the last couple of years. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, I've now decided that we need lessons much more than our kids do - time to give ourselves priority! The older you get, the slower you improve, I've discovered.... Sad
ski holidays
pam w, I couldn't agree more but I'm on a hiding to nothing with my daughter.
snow conditions
Glad you guys enjoyed it, and it looks like you picked the right day. When we got there for the weekend, Friday was pretty poor vis throughout (very cloudy on the Girose, so very careful skiing) and pretty shitty frozen crud once you got out of the cloud, so it significantly restricted what we could do. Saturday was a bit better, although a bit windy at times. Sunday was very windy - walking up to access the glacier we had to keep on stopping as the wind tried to blow us back down the trail - I guess it would be considered a light breeze by Scottish standards - and they shut the P2-P3 lift just after we made first lift up. Fortunately though they re-opened it just as we got back up P2 from P1, and we spent most of the rest of the day as the only groups anywhere on the mountain. In the lee of the cliffs it was generally very nice skiing, and my group got to do Banane and Triffides 1 - the snow in those wasn't too bad, but was hard enough that you had to be pretty careful and shows of bravado were definitely out. By the end of the day there was a sudden rush and we saw maybe 10 other skiers, and a group of about 20 snowshoeing down from P3 at about 16:30 - I guess heading for an Easter Sunday meet at Chancel. Monday was a glorious day and we had great fun up on the Girose for a few runs hooning around at Mach schell (although I hardly covered myself in glory falling on the steep descent over the bergschrund above the teleski and actually crossing it in a reverse somersault). We then headed back to the skiers'-right side of the Vallon, and had some more extreme hooning around under the Pan de Rideau and Meije glacier before having to quit and come home.

The snow was getting very sketchy indeed at the lower levels - the worst I've seen it. The traverses were all just about covered, although the odd treeroot needed a bit of a jump from time to time. I could see virtually no snow at all below P1 - and little enough there. By mid Monday most of the routes down through the final mogul field had a bit of mud/grass that required jumping or sidestepping over and snow stopped about 30m from the lift station. Without any more snow this week (I understand there should be some on Wednesday) I can see making P1 being a bit of a hike before long, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hundred metres or so today.
snow report
GrahamN, we must have passed like ships in the night/skiers in the gloom. my weekend went like this:

Friday - Cotes Rivets and Col du Pyramide at Alpe d'Huez with Swirly, Gorilla and Hamish (his real name - not sure if he posts on here)
Sat - hooked up with Vertigo off TGR for the rest of the weekend. short tour above Col du Lautaret - turned back when the snow in the gully we were climbing turned a bit slabby; Triffide 1 and Banane in the afternoon in rather chunky snow
Sun - late start after a late party in La Chaumine. Vertigo and I hooked up with Haggis Trap and his mate Gregor who had just rolled into town in their camouflage camper van. P3 shut by then and the wind was beginning to drive me mad so we drove around to La Berarde. Toured up the moraine towards the Col des Ecrins then skied down. the others then booted up a couloir we spotted while I chilled out. snow mostly crap but we were away from the wind Cool
Mon - quick burn down the Girose, through Col du Lac and back to P2 then... Pan du Rideau. I discovered my (current) limit of tolerance to steepness and exposure and therefore sidslipped the top 300m rolling eyes . the rest of the run was pretty awesome - good snow for the most part and a really spectacular setting. can't wait to get up there and ski it properly. pretty humbling seeing some of the local rippers descend the whole thing in about 10-15 turns
latest report
Arno wrote:
Mon - quick burn down the Girose, through Col du Lac and back to P2 then... Pan du Rideau.

Wow...respect. Maybe it was you we saw on the traverse - about 12:30 we were looking at 3 dots moving rather gingerly, and thinking ..."mmm looks interesting, but doubt I'm ready for that just yet" Shocked .

BTW, once the really strong gusts on Sun went through (P3 was only shut for about 45 mins) it was really quite fun skiing there. Just a bit windy when you crossed the Breche.
latest report
Arno wrote:
Mon - quick burn down the Girose, through Col du Lac and back to P2 then... Pan du Rideau.

mmm.....amazing descent, skiing above seracs and these scenes, maybe one of the best descents, and always a must do if you have that level... You try to reach the start of Couloir NE (hands lefts at after enter Pan de Rideau steep part???, really ridiculous how someone can ski those steepness and with that exposure!!! Maybe the most scary thing of those descents is that is a real NO-FALL area.. Shocked Confused

What are the conditions in LG?? about triffides couloirs, are all skiable??? And the snow in Pan holds powdery?? In Pyrenees we have superb conditions, but a short break to LG always worth it
ski holidays
GrahamN, the traverse was certainly "interesting" but wasn't quite as bad as i thought it would be. you'd have to have a deathwish not to treat it with respect however! the other 3 i was skiing with did the steep bit pretty confidently, albeit with a bit of discussion as to how best to get over the rimaye. the snow was pretty good - windblown powder. i'm still a bit annoyed not to have skied it but my head just wasn't in the right place

AlTom, i think you are talking about the y-greque (spelling almost certainly wrong) - there was some debate as to whether it was skiable or not. Vertigo reckoned it would go but you'd need to straightline the bottom 1/3 - rather him than me!

triffide 1 is skiable and 2 looked OK. not sure i'd travel all the way to LG given how good conditions look in the pyrenees though
snow conditions
Quote:

I discovered my (current) limit of tolerance to steepness and exposure and therefore sidslipped the top 300m . the rest of the run was pretty awesome - good snow for the most part and a really spectacular setting. can't wait to get up there and ski it properly. pretty humbling seeing some of the local rippers descend the whole thing in about 10-15 turns

I've been looking at that for the last three months and it still scares the bejesus out of me. Glad you did it and am impressed you could keep up with Vertigo.

We had a gentle climb and a ski between the Cerisier and the Comb du Loup in AdH yesterday. We skied a nice chute and had some good corn turns but the walk out took about an hour across scree and rapidly melting snow. I managed to get a touch of sunstroke, which gives an indication as to the heat and the rapidly deteriorating snow cover.
latest report
Colin B, looks fabulous - thanks for posting the pics.
snow conditions
gorilla, nice one - that's a very nice run but it sounds like it's coming to the end of the season for it. hope the refuge at the Col du Sarenne was open so you could have something restorative!
Colin B, apologies for thread drift! glad you enjoyed LG
ski holidays
Hey this is supposed to be a Non-Gnarly thread wink

Anyway now I'm home I've finished uploading my photos to Flickr
ski holidays
Arno, yeah the giude book calls it the couloir nord-est but I've only heard people in LG call it Y (egrec)

Coming back from a short tour on Saturday someone had done the Enfetchores with only 5 turns. I have an idea who it was...

AlTom, the locals are now using the Pan as a standard route, especially on powder days! Triffide 1 was apparently not too great on Fri although though there's been a bit more snow since. I didn't do it though.
ski holidays
Arno, Seen the Pan de Rideau traverse pics over on TGR....Impressive stuff - Dont think that would be a sensible idea on a snowboard Shocked

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59374&stc=1&d=1240247421

Although the run down looks amazing
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59387&stc=1&d=1240248150

PS Apologies Colin B for the tread drift and nice Pics!
snow report
norris, you should see what is below the traverse Shocked if i was a boarder i'd do it with crampons and an axe

i made several more turns than those guys in the second pic Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno,

Is this a front view of it http://www.flickr.com/photos/8478706@N06/512259764/sizes/l/

not somewhere you would want to slip!!
snow report
norris, good pic
a little bit more snow on it this year
latest report
Arno,

More snow, thats cheating wink
snow report
norris, now that is very impressive! The traverse looks very impressive - I'm getting less and less keen to expose myself to that sort of thing.
latest report
snowball, Arno will be hitting those first descents with Mr Ingle before long!
snow report
norris wrote:
snowball, Arno will be hitting those first descents with Mr Ingle before long!

TOTALLY!!

sideslipping on belay
snow report
Arno, LOL
snow report
Not bad for a non-gnarly thread Very Happy

Mmmmm - exposed traverse and powder run down.
latest report
Arno,

So the pic of the traverse is steep.... what is below it...

can't quote pick it up from norris' front view... altho can guess the rock band on the right... how close or in the line of sight is that a consideration...??
latest report
Colin B, you started it... we just like to talk about the place... wink
snow report
JT http://www.skierslodge.com/legend/Le_Pan_de_Redeau_Les_couloir%20en%20_Y.html

click on the start button and it shows the route,

All the lengendary routes here!
http://www.skierslodge.com/legend/
snow conditions
JT, I have used my MS Paint skillz to show the routes:

You can avoid the traverse by climbing up and joining the slope from the top (see dotted line) - this is 50degrees with hidden rocks so we didn't really fancy that Shocked

The right-hand route at the bottom is a cheeky little straightline which 2 members of our group went for Shocked I elected the far left-hand route (I think that's a route - it's a bit difficult to work out because you can't see the whole face)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy