Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing next week and my partner is pregnant

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

I know that there have been plenty of conversations about pregnant skiing on here and indeed back on the dark side where a certain individual was ridiculously outspoken. I'm not looking to open the can of worms on whether one should or shouldn't as frankly it's no-ones business but the individual concerned! Laughing

However on the lessons front would anyone have suggestions or advice? We had booked to go before we found out about the weeein, and I'd booked Sue in for group lessons. She's an improving beginner and we're going to Cervinia which I picked specifically as it has wide open long cruisy runs where I felt she could gradually gain confidence.

Do you think we should cancel the group lessons for her and get her private lessons with an instructor that perhaps has experience of teaching pregnant women? should I try to contact the ski school ahead and see if they can cater for her? should we wait and see on the first morning and then mention it to the ski school??

Any suggestions/advice or other angles would be appreciated.

She's 13 weeks gone, we had the scan today and all seems great - the wee thing was dancing about - looked like it was doing snazzy jump turns on a steep pitch!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Congratulations Adam and Sue.

As a doctor, who has also had experience skiing in a group with a pregnant lady, I would suggest that the main problem that she will have is getting tired more easily than she is used to. In a group lesson this would cause problems with her possibly feeling that she was holding up the rest of the group. A private lesson would relieve this problem, however private lessons are far more intense than group lessons, so I would limit their time to no more than two hours, with a break half way through. I would imagine that if you get an instructor who speaks good english, then they will understand this and tailor the lesson appropriately.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, many thanks for the congrats and the response. I guess the instructor could make all the difference, as both the group and private options have their own pros and cons. I suppose in reality the answer is going to be to wait and see on the first morning.

Its a bit of a bummer but I had a message on my mobile today when I came out of a meeting, and it was the Thomson rep actually in Cervinia calling to see if I had any questions or if they could help me in any other way before I arrived - she didn't leave a number but did say to contact Thomson direct if I did have anything to raise. Of course if you ring them you'll be on hold for 2 days. I was still pretty impressed that she'd called and obviously if I'd been able to take the call I'd have brought up this question!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Congratulations. I skied a couple of weeks ago with a friend who was 10 (I think??) weeks pregnant. She's a good skier, so it's slightly different...but the main thing that she had to consider was if she injured herself. I'm sure Kramer will know more, but it's something to do with not being allowed painkillers when pregnant?? She just took it slightly easier than usual and had a great time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely private lessons... (p.s. I'm not pregnant and I'd usually be shattered after a 1 hour private lesson - so I'd just take one of those a day)

The main ones, if you've made the decision to have a go a little bit for me would be to stay away from crowds and popular slopes - as you can never account for other people being out of control. Perhaps take advantage when everyone is at lunch... Make sure you're back at the chalet early so you avoid the general scrum at 4pm as everyone heads home and is that bit more tired and likely to make mistakes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Adam Holt, bear in mind that at your partners level, one to two hours of private instruction will probably be enough for the whole holiday. As the instruction is that bit more intense, it really irons out any bad habits that you may have.

I ski at a strong(ish) intermediate level, and a three hour private lesson in St Anton with a fifteen minute coffee break was more than enough to have me waving the white flag.

Elizabeth B, paracetamol is thought to be safe during pregnancy, ibuprofen and related drugs are not recommended, codeine type drugs can be used, but with certain cautions. Taking it easy is just good general advice.

Adam Holt, I hope that you have a great trip, the snow conditions are looking to be awesome.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from skiing in Cervinia and can report that the pregnant skiing went absolutely fine. Sue skied every day all day with no problems whatsoever and did group lessons for 5 days - she had about 4 minor tumbles all week but nothing worth talking about. In fact she was probably more able for it than I was as I found the altitude really troublesome - she didn't notice any difference whatsoever!

Anyway, whilst it all went swimmingly I'd have to say that I don't personally recommend it now as the stress and worry when I wasn't with her really affected my relaxation and enjoyment, and it made it really clear just what a risk we might have been taking. It made me realise that I'd happily miss out on a years sliding without even batting an eyelid next time round. I'd still say its Sue's choice though, and she's feeling very proud of herself for doing so much and so easily .... currently wondering which instructor to name it after .... Carlo, Stefano, Luigi .....!!!!! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent, glad to hear you had a good trip, and good luck with the little 'un
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adam Holt, congratulations! I was away when you made the post. Hope all goes well for the two/three of you.
BTW I had an email from Fi the other week, she's in Brazil.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy