Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for Specialman's resort report:

Alpe d'Huez (April 2009)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought Specialmans report ref. Alpe D'Huez was pretty well considered, my only comments are;-

Ref. Lifts and getting around the mountain, once you have got up the DMC it probably is best to avoid going back to resort level until the end of the day, the upper runs are pretty well linked and the lifts are less busy higher up, the Rouses sort of ties things together.

To me the enjoyment of the skiing relies on the Sarenne being open, which is not always the case, since this also ties in the slopes at Signal de l'Homme, notably Col de Cluy.

He didn't mention mountain restaurants, which I think are quite exceptional and i.m.o. are more authentic and better value than most in the 3 valleys. The one at Alpette gets a particular mention.

Ref. the town, although not the most pretty, it works pretty well and is more attractive than many, there are plenty of good bars and restaurants, i.m.o. you need to stay in the main town rather than one of the satelite areas. Some of its lack of prettiness can be made up by the setting, the historic Tour de France climb and the view back to the town from Signal de l'Homme.

Like all places, understanding how the place works, where the best runs, bars and restaurants are helps your enjoyment. I think ADH offers a good balance between the impersonality of the megaresorts and more limited scope of small resorts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed on the on-hill dining which I think is very good (and reasonable value) esp when you take into account the fact that ADH isn't exactly attracting a Megeve-type crowd! Don't bother with the self-service places - there are lots of nice little cabins which will do you a plat du jour, steack frites or (in the case of La Grange at Alpette) a great pizza for EUR10-15, which isn't cheap but not bad compared with many places

I think it is sometimes a place that doesn't reveal its charms too easily so first timers can accidentally miss all the good stuff and come away with a negative impression. Totally agree with DavidYacht on the tactic of avoiding the central bowl as much as you can - the skiing would be OK if there weren't twice as many people there as there are everywhere else.

There is fun near-the-piste off-piste, but you do need to be careful of cliff bands. There is a lot of seriously wild committing stuff off the Dome des Rousses and Pic Blanc. Well worth splashing out on a guide for that. If you want a 2 hour taster get an off-piste lesson with Vaujany ski school which will get you 2 or 3 runs off the Dome des Rousses in an area which reminds me of Spanky's Ladder on Blackcomb but with better lift access and far fewer people
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fair points guys. We didn't do any eating in the mountain restraunts, hence the lack of reference. Thinking about it, early season I would go back, just for the off-piste, but some of those rock bands looked seriously hardcore and not for the faint of heart!! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed at hermitage also and 18 out of 20 of us got sick including one girl for the whole week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmjimm, which week? 28th March - 4th April? That's when i was there and there were a few of us who felt dicky for a day or two
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For my report from Alpe d'Huez in April 2012 at the Hermitage see the link http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88638

We had a great time and as far as I'm aware no one got sick (except my son on the coach coming down all those hairpins!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy