Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off season excersise

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi..

i go to the gym most days of the week but still find that my thighs burn for the first couple of days skiing,

are there any recommended excersises to help with this.
Mind you this year i intend to be at braehead snozone at least once a week
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mugen,
Quote:

Will help a lot. Otherwise ski specific weight training (try google), running and cycling.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mugen, I'm a tired, rather unfit, elderly lady - my thighs don't burn, as a rule, but I have found this season that if I ski fairly hard even for half a day, my knees get quite hot and swollen - need lots of high-voltage Ibuprofen. I'm not sure there's anything much I can do about this. If you are otherwise fit and strong, but thigh muscles are burning, what you probably need is ski lessons rather than exercises - because your weight is probably dropping back, and you are supporting your body weight on your quads, rather than your skeleton.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mugen, what do you normally do at the gym?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, whatever Mugen does at the gym, if his/her quads hurt for the first few days skiing, it's not about what's being done, or not done, at the gym but what's being done, or not done, on top of the skis. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
mugen, what do you normally do at the gym?

a bit of everything. But dont build muscle bulk so much so none of the big weights.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
FlyingStantoni, whatever Mugen does at the gym, if his/her quads hurt for the first few days skiing, it's not about what's being done, or not done, at the gym but what's being done, or not done, on top of the skis. wink

there is an element of that i would say. Usually where my talent has deserted me, but my confidence is still in full flow..

the stuff i'm doing at snozone should hopefully help with the technical stuff to a point...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mugen wrote:

The best exercise for skiing you can do. I ski at least twice a week at my local dry slope and now never get thigh burn from normal recreational skiing (although do from longer pitches). General cycling is also good; I cycle to and from work each day - only about 4 miles each way, but it makes a big difference.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN wrote:
mugen wrote:

The best exercise for skiing you can do. I ski at least twice a week at my local dry slope and now never get thigh burn from normal recreational skiing (although do from longer pitches). General cycling is also good; I cycle to and from work each day - only about 4 miles each way, but it makes a big difference.

where i was getting most burn was in bansko doing the top of the mountain into town, about 10k i believe.. well felt like that. Smile

there is a dry slope close to me but dont like it too much, even though it's where i learnt to ski. falling is like being attacked by large tooth brushes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy