Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in USA or Canada in 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

After finally coming to terms that i will not be getting another weeks skiing this eason, i thought i would start working on next years trip.

We would really like to go to USA or Canada next year as I have never been. We are thinking of going around the weekend of 27/02. We are open to any resort and ideally want a self catering apartment. I have had a look at most of the major tour operators but all they seem to offer is catered chalets. There are four of us in total (two intermediate/advanced skiers and two beginner snowboarders, all adults) can anybody recommend any resorts and/or the best places to get prices? Would it be best to do a DIY?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a rule of thumb, avoid the biggest name resorts (e.g. Vail, Aspen, Whistler) to obtain better value.

Given what you've said, Lake Tahoe would be fairly high on my list. There is loads of s/c accom (particularly on the North Shore around King's Beach) and lots of different resort areas to explore (Squaw, Sugar Bowl, Alpine Meadows, Kirkwood, Heavenly etc etc). You could also tack on a few days in Mammoth for more skiing or San Fran, LA or Vegas for some city action, although a car is pretty much essential. A possible downside is that it is harder to base yourself in one 'resort', unless you go for Heavenly on the South Shore. (Possibly an issue for the beginners?)

Alternatively, some of the Utah resorts can be good value and typically have great snow - similar to Tahoe, a car is essential to try out the various areas. Also worth investigating interior British Columbia areas such as Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Big White etc. Banff (for Lake Louise / Sunshine / Mt. Norquay) is also generally good value.

In Colorado, be careful with some of the resorts popular with the package operators as they offer relatively little in the way of advanced / expert terrain. (Specifically Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain.)

Don't bother with the East Coast - go to the Alps instead!

Finally, I've always done DIY trips to the US / Canada - not sure if this is neccesarily cheaper than packages, but is massively more flexible.

There are loads of threads on the above areas, so do have a dig around.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think most of the packages from TUI or Ingahms for U.S.A feature s/c appartments for 4 Puzzled With 2 novices, they would probably be happier staying slopeside so they can go to lessons. The big resorts look to be expensive to book independently unless you stay away from the slopes. If poss go for 10-14 days to make the long journey pay, get over jet lag & acclimatise for altitude. The package deals are not much more for 14 days compared to 7 (Lift tickets, equipment hire, food & drink are a different matter) . Smaller resorts not owned by the real estate giants like Interwest may offer an economical DIY option. I liked Keystone, it has varied terrain (most as much as Vail but not as expensive) - the accomodation is high quality. You can opt for car hire as a no cost alternative with the T.O. for the transfer which means if you need more extreme skiing A-basin is 10 minutes away, & Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver, Copper, Loveland etc. are only a short drive away. Do your homework to get the lift passes at discount as they can be very expensive.
There are some charter flight to Canada making some T.O. packages quite attractive, Whistler is probably queered with the Olympics. Fernie is in TUI & Inghams brochures, late Feb is best time to go.
Keep us posted on how it goes.
I starting to plan next years Trip to the states, I might make a road trip out of it. I want to include Salt Lake City Resorts, Jackson Hole & Tahoe. Some work on the interweb is required but planning passes the time until next season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT_London, Thanks for the info i will look into Lake Tahoe and Banff. Which websites do you use to get your apartments off?

Lechbob, Thanks, we are looking at 10 nights minimum at the moment. I will also look at keystone. To be honest i wanted to go to Breckenridge or Aspen but can seem to get any aprtments there. We are open to anywhere really as long as it has a lot of varied terrain. Which sites do you use?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For Colorado, I've generally used http://www.vacationroost.com/ski/ who were very helpful.

I haven't been to Tahoe since 2006/7, but http://www.snowbomb.com/ is a good 'locals' site with lots of tips / deals and links to accom.

One other thought on Tahoe is that Virgin have some good value flexible packages that you can combine with Mammoth, Vegas etc if you want to.

For Banff, I'd probably go with one of the package operators as they seem to offer pretty compelling value that you'd struggle to match on a DIY basis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
o11y, have alook at United Vacations. We had a very good deal from them when we skied in Breckenridge a few years ago. They make it easy to stop off somewhere such as NY or Chicago on the way there or back (or both), if that appeals to you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vail Resorts have an advert with snowHead 's on main page. http://www.snow.com/ I'm not touting for them. A fancy condominium at Keystone is about $175-200 a night for 4, say £330 each for 10 days, flights to Denver currently £316 http://www.netflights.com/ . Car hire £100 each Total = £746 again with http://www.netflights.com/, T.O's about £900 . Lift Passes are expensive, buy in advance, the epic season pass is almost as cheap if you go for 2 weeks !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
o11y,

Definitely avoid Whistler in February - unless you want to go to the Olympics and pay $300 per night. Vail's a bit boring. Big, but a lot of the same. You might want to look at Utah. There are certainly condos for DIY rental through various websites (e.g. http://www.skiparkcityutah.net/; http://www.parkcitylodging.com/) and there's a sufficiently good selection of great (and diverse) ski hills in the SLC area to warrant renting a car and getting round all of them in a 2-week stay.

If you want to use a TO, it might be worth trying Ski Independence, as they can put together individual packages.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for your help. Looks like i have a lot of work to do.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
o11y, I've replied to your PM and it's waiting for you to pick up Very Happy Drop me a line back whe you've seen it please
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about a fernie/whitefish combo?

Plenty of self catering options.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big White in BC would probably work for you too. We've got a nice luxury condo for 4 people there that wouldn't cost the earth. I'm not just pimping our condo, it might not even be available at that time, but the resort might suit your group well, particularly if you decide to DIY.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If taking uktrailmonster, suggestion, try a 2 centre holiday with Silver Star, wonderful place, doesnt get too busy and some distictive architecture.

I can reccommend both resorts for a different and friendly experience Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep Big White + Silver Star would be a great dual centre holiday if going for 2 weeks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are looking at Colorado, this is an interesting option for lift tickets-

the Rocky Mountain Super Pass is available until 19 April for next year at $399. Adult. Unlimited at Copper/Winter Park and 6 days at Steamboat. A vevy reasonable pre-season price.

I think this is available online (even for new passholders) with $49 down and the rest charged in September- a viable option for those who plan to ski at least a week as this is less than this years regular online price for a 6 day Copper Tix. Not as many resorts, but still a good amount of variety for $180 less than Vail's Epic Pass
ski holidays
I hadn't seen the rocky mountain pass. I was thinking about the Epic Pass as I really enjoyed their Colorado resorts & was thinking about including Heavenly as well next season.
I am a bit reticent as If I buy the season pass I will be less inclined to ski other places. If I go to the states next season I really ought to sample Jackson Hole and Utah resorts + if you go to Tahoe I guess you want to ski more than Heavenly. What are peoples thoughts of Winter Park/ Copper/ Steamboat vs Vail/Beaver/Breck/Keystone/A-basin ? Looking at trail maps & reading about Winter Park/ Copper/ Steamboat doesn't compell me that they are a must do.
latest report
hi there, just reading some of the replies to your questions with some surprice, came back from breck in feb,this place is great for mixed groups, not to much bigginers terain but after 2 days ski school would be on blues, and as for advanced terain over 50% is advanced/expert .best of all is the apres very freindly not at all snobby and loads of it. i stoped in a 2 room condo at beaver run which is skiin/skiout with its own lift and bar right on your door, had a great time,will be their next year. simon
latest report
Quote:

Looking at trail maps & reading about Winter Park/ Copper/ Steamboat doesn't compell me that they are a must do.

I find the trio just as compelling combination as the Epic combo. (I've skied each and every one of them except Steamboat).

But then, I have no understanding of the concept of a "must do". I've been to Vail and, as nice as the skiing is, I don't think I'd feel I missed something in my (skiing) life had I NOT skied at Vail. Same for Heavenly. It's a really nice place to ski, and great view to boot. But it's no more a "must do" than say, Squaw or Alpine Meadow.

So, if you're after good skiing, the trio will give you plenty of varied terrain to suit most skiers of any level (and so would the Vail/Heavenly group of resorts too). But if you're after ticking famours boxes, I guess none of the three (except perhaps the 'boat) come close to qualifying.
snow conditions
[quote="abc"]
Quote:

I have no understanding of the concept of a "must do". I've been to Vail and, as nice as the skiing is, I don't think I'd feel I missed something in my (skiing) life had I NOT skied at Vail

There are many experiences in life which would leave you poorer for missing them.
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:
abc wrote:

I have no understanding of the concept of a "must do". I've been to Vail and, as nice as the skiing is, I don't think I'd feel I missed something in my (skiing) life had I NOT skied at Vail

There are many experiences in life which would leave you poorer for missing them.

But not having skied Vail isn't one of such! Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy