Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I want to buy a board

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wnt to buy a board, a good one that will do everything.

I'm 5' 8", 15st, intermediate level, on-piste and off piste only (not interested in the parks, I' 38!).

I want the the best that I can buy and only want to buy one that won't need replacing as I improve.

I'm leaning towards a Burton Custom X 158 but does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got 160 Custom X and it's awesome. I used to ride a 158 forum, so I went a bit longer to get more float in pow an dit made quite a difference.
I'm similar height but 14stone.
The best thing bout it is the speed, I regularly over take skiers skating on flat sections.
Only downside now is you've got to buy Burtons into new binding system I think.
I tried one of next seasons Ride DH 'rocker boards this season too, and was very impressed with that.
It's might be worth trying one out before you spend your money, unless you can find a bargain X in an end of season sale.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the dh2 next year is rockered. The normal dh isnt.
Salomon sick stick is my 2p worth, or the custom v.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh and ride yukon, major charger right there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonny luv plums wrote:
Oh and ride yukon, major charger right there.
I have a very battered one of those that I picked up on ebay for £50 Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pinkcharlie28, The charts say I should have a 160 but I want something that will turn well. It is possibly all in the mind but I think a shorter one will turn better. I rang S&R at the Chill Factor near me to test some boards but they said they're not doing tests as it's the end of the season! I didn't realise you had seasons in snowdomes. What are they going to sell next month? Surfboards?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pinkcharlie28 wrote:
Only downside now is you've got to buy Burtons into new binding system I think.

any burton binding will go on ICS, not just the new EST ones. Nobody else is doing ICS adaptor plates yet but in theory they could. For example a ride 3 slot disc could be made to fit (just).

Jumping Jack Flash, if you want to go shorter go for a rocker board, but dont go for an insane rocker like burton's party rocker or the salomon salvatore sanchez, for piste riding they are pretty useless. Off piste and freestyle they are awesome.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At 15st, you need something longer than a 158. A 163 might make a good all-rounder, if you just want to ride fast on-piste and ride some powder, I'd go at least 165.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'd look at the manufacturers website for the specific model of board you're looking at. the manufacturers know what they're talking about. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lib Tech Phoenix (either Jamie Lynn or Lando)

or

Bataleon Goliath

Would be my choices.

You could also look at a K2 zero or Gyrator. Or, as they're not doing the Zepelin next year may be able to pick one of them up cheap - awesome board, fast as fcuk
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has any one here tried the signature option board I have been thinking of going for one as the have this " impact system" which may just be a marketing phrase I am about 5 ft 4 in and have small, size 38 european, but wide feet and I wiegh in t around 11 stone mostly muscle I have also heard good things about banana boards but no brand in particular
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skate Banana five nine.

John.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Snow and Rock and they had a Burton Custom X on sale but the bloke said that it would be too much for me as I'm an intermediate and said the board I should go for is the Arbor A Frame as I mainly want to go off-piste, which is true. Is he right on this one? T?he Arbor is an awesome looking board though!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't be scared of a going a bit longer. If you want speed on the piste, and something that'll be good for off piste on powder days, don't shy away from a bit of length.
If you can turn properly using proper technique then you'll be fine.

Remember the guide, which you say tells you should be 160, usually assumes all round. So you'd go shorter for a park board, and longer for off piste, and even longer for a backcountry beast.
Given you aint interested in the park then why go shorter ?
Shorter board at your weight are not going to great for off piste on powder days.

My stats are similar to you. A tad taller, couple of years younger wink (just) , oh and half a stone lighter NehNeh . I also tend to do mainly piste cruising and off piste and not park/pipe, thoigh occasionlly I blat through the park over the small kickers.
I've got a Baron 167. (the old wide custom).

No problems turning whatsover. It's great for big wide sweeping carves. It's damn fast on the piste and is great for charging down the mountain, and on powder days it floats my weight up like a treat.

Try out some different boards/lengths and see what suits your style....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy